Change to towing regulations?

Saw a news article on 'new road regulations', as is often the case it was very sketchy, but it included the following statement.

Cannot find any other info which gives any better explanation.
This is 2 years old! Nothing new about it. (Typical GB News from what I’ve seen).

Amendments to The Trailer Registration Regulations 2021 were mooted back in Sept ‘21 and introduced February 2022.

You can blame LNB of Bristol!

LNB started the ball rolling by suggesting if folk registered their TOADs as ’commercial trailers’, they could convince the Guardia Civil (and others) that “whilst it might have an engine, a steering wheel and look like a car, what you see before you, Senor Policia, is actually a trailer and I can prove it!” It doesn’t wash of course as their national laws outlaw the towing of one motorised vehicle with another and UNECE regs insist that a ’trailer’ has to be DESIGNED to be towed not ADAPTED. #TowLegal #TowSafe

Correct but they did try a few years back but all fell through, thank the caravan brigade.
However when im out i see lots which dont comply with the law, no brakeaway chain, no mudgards, no fog light or warning tryangle reflector, as for boat boys, no prop bag and some not even strapped down and to heavy for unbraked trailers, police dont seem to bother much these days over here.
Police probably don't know the rules & regs around trailers, due to a massive reduction in Traffic Police out there patrolling the network. Speaking from experience, it's all been de-skilled, hence the appalling standard of driving we now see.

I don't know what "could not be registered as a trailer" means.

I have never registered a trailer or a caravan.

Do you have a link to the source, so we can delve deeper.
FWIW, I registered my last two trailer caravans -- but with CRiS, not DVLA. Now it seems as though that might not be enough if you're going over the Channel. Further, the link to the government consultation results seem to suggest that all trailers might be subject to MOT testing ...
... anyway, here's the Convention that underlies all this: https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Vienna_Convention_on_Road_Traffic_(2022)

As an ex trailer dragger, I think they should be registered and have a reg number visible to cameras, and a MOT wouldn't be a bad idea at all seeing the shite some drag around.

As an ex trailer dragger, I think they should be registered and have a reg number visible to cameras, and a MOT wouldn't be a bad idea at all seeing the shite some drag around.
Even now they're supposed to have a reg number ,the towing vehicles,
and working lights

Even now they're supposed to have a reg number ,the towing vehicles,
and working lights
Of course but that isn't what I said or meant, many times a trailer will just have the reg of the vehicle that tows it the most often, if it had its own reg it would be more identifiable, and small trailers often don't have any lights at all if you can see the towing vehicles lights some don't bother with them.

The original .gov trailer registration page is at https://www.gov.uk/register-trailer-to-take-abroad
but after LNB encouraged users to take the piss, an amendment was introduced in February last year. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi...8Zd6Xr4rznm5fbWLhwuAdv-kqC3CQLafVtNYujLZ_pm5c
Why do you say 'take the piss', the A frame manufactures say that when coupled they comply with trailer regs, if this is the case they should be able to register them as trailers, if however they don't then they shouldn't be able to register them, as all trailers in UK that are manufactured after a date (can't recall offhand when) are required to meet regs then this raises some questions.

And one more i did last year, i like yellow & red.
new trailer a.png
new trailer b.png
new trailer c.png

Why do you say 'take the piss', the A frame manufactures say that when coupled they comply with trailer regs, if this is the case they should be able to register them as trailers, if however they don't then they shouldn't be able to register them, as all trailers in UK that are manufactured after a date (can't recall offhand when) are required to meet regs then this raises some questions.
Firstly, no a-frame towed car fully complies with ALL the the trailer regulations, despite what the manufacturers may say.
Secondly, the ‘trailer registration’ that LNB was advocating was for ‘commercial’ trailers, not adapted cars. In my view, that’s taking the piss!

Attachments

• IMG_6064.jpeg
    IMG_6064.jpeg
    221.8 KB · Views: 23

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back