Change to thicker oil

johnmac185

hi, any techies out there know if i can safely use thicker oil, i use 10w/40 at moment, i am thinking of using 10w/50 or 15w/50 semi, its old van 2004 model Citroen Relay 2.2hdi with nearly 150,000 mls, old friend who was an engineer tells me he always used thicker as vehicle got older with a lot of miles, mine is going well and don't use a lot of oil between changes, anyone any thoughts on this, will it put strain on any parts like seals or the like,,,John

You should only ever use the oil specified buy the manufacturer, using thicker oil will prevent the oil circulating properly,resulting in the top of the engine doing lots of short spells without oil every time you start it, 150k is not many miles for modern engines and modern oils, 7 months ago i sold my 2007 sprinter that i had from new with 922k on the clock
Richard

You should only ever use the oil specified buy the manufacturer, using thicker oil will prevent the oil circulating properly,resulting in the top of the engine doing lots of short spells without oil every time you start it, 150k is not many miles for modern engines and modern oils, 7 months ago i sold my 2007 sprinter that i had from new with 922k on the clock
Richard

Thanks for reply Richard, i was only listening to an old hand at the game, but second opinions always help, hey Richard that must have been a great van , it would have been a workhorse not a campervan at 360mls a day on average for 7 years, was it never off the road, or was it kms on the clock not miles,,,:confused::confused:,,,John

Thanks for taking time to reply David, i will stick to my 10w40 i think, i normally change oil twice yearly and filter yearly, i have had van for 4 years and done 30,000mls so at 7500 per year i think that schedule is ok, it is my only vehicle and i do as much local running in between wilding trips. Any thoughts on the brand of oil, i have used Halfords in the past as it was on sale about a year ago for a tenner for 4 litres, i bought 4 of them so i'm ok for now,,,,John

PS, i only use best fuel too, maybe BP or Shell,at the moment only 1p difference from local supermarkets, no so called inferior products for me,,,J

Last edited:
Can't think of any reason to change to thicker oil and for how much they cost I'd change the filter every time I changed the oil.

Dirty oil is the Achilles heel of a diesel engine!

Stick with what you are on now 10W40 Semi-Synthetic that is the correct grade for your van.

If you are capable of changing the oil and filter yourself it can be done for less than £30 if bought when offers are on.

You get peace of mind and the van will be a very happy bunny :dance:

There are some oil filters that are just a paper element and have a die-cast cover and you have to be very carful not to break them getting them off.
I have a filter socket set that fits nearly all the common ones, an adjustable tri-leg socket and the pliers but I still like the chain or belt wrench!

$_57.JPG

I've several but this is the first one I'd reach for newer engines are going back to paper elements they make great fire lighters

The first MH's were built by the Americans, they were caravans on truck bases, soon followed by Eccles in about 1919. It was the death knell for horse drawn caravans, when the CC first started out they thought that the club would not include caravans pulled by cars, how things change. Anyway back to oil, I bought one of those suction pump things that sucks the oil out of the sump, so much easier than undoing the bottom bolt.

Both my vw golf and vw lt35 use a paper filter and its the same for both so keep a stock of them in the garage get them with my oil when eurocarparts have 50% off days :)

This is the tool to remove my filter which has a plastic cap so you can't go at it with mole grips.
tool.jpg

Mike

HandsTest0004.jpg

I am strong like Ox!

As long as they were done up to the correct torque (i.e. next to nothing, and seal lubricated) then I've been able to get a good few off by hand.

But yes, big screwdriver after trying the chain, strap and whatever else and failing lol.

Can't think of any reason to change to thicker oil and for how much they cost I'd change the filter every time I changed the oil.

Dirty oil is the Achilles heel of a diesel engine!

second that. I would rather change the filter twice than the oil! With 7500 miles I would say one oil change is enough. But don't look at the viscosity (e.g. 5W40) only to determine which oil you use.
There is another code from the manufacturer (API) of the vehicle and if the brand of oil you want to use carries the approval, you are fine to use it. No matter what brand.
For example MB229.5, VW504.00, FORD 913A are manufacturers approvals.
Check you Van's handbook, it will list what you can/should use

And a higher number doesn't mean it's thicker! It's all about temperatur. If your engine is running above 120deg C all the time, THEN you want to use a XW50 oil. Not because of wear and milage.

Loads to read about oil if you google. It's a minefield.

I for myself stick with at least a semi synthetic or most of the time fully synthetic.

oil

only use what the manufacurer recomends as it can damage the cat or dpf if it is not low ash content

My work van handbook states the recommended oils for use in my engine. Peugeot 120 hdi 07>

Semi-Synthetic 10W-40
Synthetic 5W-40
Synthetic Anti Pollution 5W-30
As some of the engine seals are 'letting by' I'm wondering what oil would be best to use, the crankshaft eal into the gearbox was leaking after 40K miles and was replaced.
The oil that I have always used is the Synthetic Anti Pollution 5W-30 so which oil is best?

Most modern brake caliper pistons have to be screwed back and not just pushed.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back