Cemetery's gates to close overnight

I'm not that bad, I don't mind walking past a graveyard or cemetery night or day, but I wouldn't enjoy walking through one at night ... silly really because I'm not superstitious but I prefer to avoid them at night.

In fact, you've just reminded me that another brother-in-law was a grave digger for quite a few years, he thought it was a brilliant job.
it's quite hard graft, as the deeper you dig, the higher the pile of spoil- which is why a gravedigger's shovel has such a long handle !

Ha, ok on a lighter note my best mate as a young teenager lost her cherry in a churchyard. :eek:

Funniest thing we saw in a churchyard was when we arrived early for a rehearsal for my mates wedding and the vicar was taking a leak against a gravestone!

Funniest thing we saw in a churchyard was when we arrived early for a rehearsal for my mates wedding and the vicar was taking a leak against a gravestone!

OMG unbelievable, and I hit the like button by mistake!

Ok, I don't have a problem with cemeteries being used for activities in addition to resting places for the dead - no-one I know who's died would care, they'd welcome the company!! Give the dead the respect they deserve and treat the place with some reverence.

But, the BIG BUT, is that, from the OP's post, the motorhome overnight parking at the cemetery which has had an impact on funerals - and that is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!

the graveyard i worked in was next to a school. one time we were running late and just managed to get the fake grass covers on the mound and dive into the bushes as the cortege came round the corner
as the vicar started intoning over the coffin i heard a loud stage whisper from behind me- '' oi mister ! are you planting anuvver one ?''
i turned to see a fascinated group of giggling 6 year olds peering through the railings

I'm not really THAT bothered as I know it will never happen at our local cemetery.

What I really can't understand is why anybody would want to risk upsetting locals that much. I can just see the newspaper headlines. I just don't see it doing our cause any good whatsoever.

it's quite hard graft, as the deeper you dig, the higher the pile of spoil- which is why a gravedigger's shovel has such a long handle !

and then if it's wet, he always said it was horrendous.

Some nice pics there ... here's one my daughter found yesterday ...

image001.png image002.png

We had a large expensive motorhome filling up with water at our local cemetery, whilst visitors queued behind him to fill their watering cans.

Arrogant as you like!

You sure they weren't making a delivery? Could be the way some of us would like our last ride... :D

Some nice pics there ... here's one my daughter found yesterday ...

View attachment 50029 View attachment 50030

Nice headstones ....we visited a small church in North Wales a couple of years back St Brothens (unusual in itself being a church rather a chapel in that particular area ) was a stopping place for people crossing the tidal estuary close by and allowing them to make a donation/dedication to safe passage across .
When i first visited there 40 years ago many of the graves had plain white ceramic flower arrangements under large glass domes on them all sadly now long gone .

St Brothen's Church, Llanfrothen - Wikipedia

Still a nice tranquil place to visit though ...

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back