CCSW helping to sell my motorhome.

I have recently purchased a new Hymer MH and needed to sell my beloved Burstner. I attempted to sell it myself privately 5 or 6 months ago, but gave up on that idea quite quickly having to deal with tyrekickers and d*ckheads. And so I turned to one of our members, Steve at CCSW as he is a broker and local to me for his advice and guidance. After a chat he agreed to take on the selling task for me, we agreed a price I wanted to achieve, and he priced it then to enable him to make some money after doing all the necessary advertising nationally. The MH was taken into storage locally and left to him.

The replacement motorhome I had initially purchased from a dealer, I didn’t want to get offended by what they would offer in part exchange, turned out to be a problem. Luckily I hadn’t px-ed it with what then transpired. I needed to return the motorhome as not fit for purpose, sale of goods act blah blah, and immediately encountered a point blank refusal from them. Apparently it is a well known way that they do business, they are never wrong even when they are wrong, and will fight you until you give up. Well I don’t back down. Fortunately I know of a very successful barrister who actively hates this dealership and their legal team, in addition my own solicitor hates the way the ‘big team’ lean on the little man. Together they put a case that forced them to back down and I had a 100% success and return of all monies expended. I was not out of pocket in any way.

Anyway, in the mean time I needed to go away for 10 weeks to Scandinavia, so I made my apologies to CCSW and retrieved my Burstner and went off for a lovely holiday, sadly not in the expected MH, but at least we were mobile in something I knew and could trust.

When I knew I had recovered all of my money and the other MH had gone I then looked for another that would be suitable.

On our return from our holiday I cleared out everything we had on board and did a deep clean and went back to Steve, renegotiated the price I wanted to achieve and left him to it once more. That was just a couple of weeks ago..

Today I have been advised that it is sold, it has been collected and to look closely and there’s the money as agreed in my bank account. All within 3 weeks or so. Success.

Thank you Steve and staff at CCSW as you have made this Christmas sparkle already.
Great story and fab result for you .Merry Christmas 🎄

I would have a look to see if the company are on Trustpilot. If they are, then give an honest review.

Then of course, splatter it everywhere else on the internet, they can't demand only good reviews (although that is probably what you will see on their own website of course).

You have to be honest and be able to back up anything you say, but otherwise go for it.

I had issues with a Motorhome place in Bradford a few years ago, they sold us what looked like a nice van, it would have been our second van, We needed it for a weekend we had planned but it had a few things that needed doing, but they said we could take it on the Friday and bring it back on the Monday which we did, it only needed cosmetic stuff they said so we set off, the first night, the bathroom basin collapsed, and the oven would only work with the door open, the sink would not drain at all, it drove like a POS so we took it back on the Monday very pissed off but we're not stupid and realised that they may not have known about all this as it will have been a PX and we expected them to sort it out and pick it up when it was sorted, what we did not expect was to be accused of damaging the van on purpose ourselves, anyway I wrote about it all on facts and they got their solicitor onto us and it all went south they took the van back and we lost money, what I should have done was to sue the robbing bstd, but we were a bit green, lesson learned, name and shame but do it the legal way.

You have to be honest and be able to back up anything you say, but otherwise go for it.

I had issues with a Motorhome place in Bradford a few years ago, they sold us what looked like a nice van, it would have been our second van, We needed it for a weekend we had planned but it had a few things that needed doing, but they said we could take it on the Friday and bring it back on the Monday which we did, it only needed cosmetic stuff they said so we set off, the first night, the bathroom basin collapsed, and the oven would only work with the door open, the sink would not drain at all, it drove like a POS so we took it back on the Monday very pissed off but we're not stupid and realised that they may not have known about all this as it will have been a PX and we expected them to sort it out and pick it up when it was sorted, what we did not expect was to be accused of damaging the van on purpose ourselves, anyway I wrote about it all on facts and they got their solicitor onto us and it all went south they took the van back and we lost money, what I should have done was to sue the robbing bstd, but we were a bit green, lesson learned, name and shame but do it the legal way.

Which one in Bradford Kev?

:giggle:

I don't get it, many people are quick to praise good service but reticent to call out bad service? Surely, to review both ways allows others to come to a balanced opinion as to whether they want to deal with a particular seller or not?
I am more than happy to promote good service but will call out bad service, not necessarily to influence people but to warn them of potential risks or otherwise. It is up to the individual how they wish to proceed thereon in.
Good honest fair priced service? Unicorn territory methinks. I've never not been robbed by car and motorhome traders

If I win in court I will name them, but until then I will keep my gob shut. I guess if we had gone for a longer test drive I would have noticed some odd behaviour of the ComfortMatic. However the salesman drove me the 1.8 miles down the road to a convenient stopping point and then got me to drive back. The dealer's latest " I swear that this is the whole truth" statement falsely says that I drove it all the time.
Interestingly I have since looked up the official Fiat web site and it says
" Technically, the gearbox is described as an MTA (Manual Transmission Automated) and consists of a conventional manual gearbox in which the manual linkage is replaced by an actuator, controlled electronically by a TCU (Transmission Control Unit)."

It may be a case of "I told them I didn't want a ComfortMatic" and them saying "he said he wants an automatic and this is an automatic". To which of course I will retort that Fiat calls it a manual gearbox with a robotised actuator.
I suppose the outcome might depend on the Judge's decision on whether the dealer calling it an 'automatic' corresponds with the Fiat description. Also whether the dealer's now claimed expenses of well over £900 are justified. They really are clutching at straws, they must have had several directors' meetings chewing doughnuts and drinking coffee thinking up new ideas of what to claim as expenses.

I think you may need a expert witness to be on your side to explain the actual technical differences, you obviously know, but in a courtroom things may seem more complicated and getting your point across is key to this, assuming they don't see sense and back down.

It might be a printout would suffice but I'd ask your brief on that.

I wouldn't touch one after trying them out, although some people swear by them.

In my humble opinion, your case is purely "I told them I didn't want a ComfortMatic", trying to argue that a Comfortmatic isn't a automatic will loose you the case, as MTA (or AMT) is listed as a type of automatic transmission, the clue is in the name.

I have been in touch with the couple who have purchased my Burstner, and they were delighted with the ease of purchase and handover from CCSW. I have handed over a few other items that were meant to have been in the MH when I sold it, and a couple of extras too.

I see that the Carthago T144 QB that I had issues with is back up for sale at an increased price and showing it to have 200kg payload. Where will 200kg go? Stick 3 bums on the 4 belted seats and there’s officially 3x75kg= 225kg taken care of immediately. Then they’d need cutlery, crockery, bedding, clothes, food, water, blah, blah, blah. It is blindingly obvious it needs to be replated back to at least the 3650kg it came out of the factory with and better still 3850kg.

I will say no more about my issue with the dealer.
As for the 200kg payload you are right, three people would overload it. One might have thought that the downplating laws would prevent a 3650kg motorhome with four seat belts being manufactured in the first place. It being downrated to 3500 should also have some standards preventing that happenning, again specially with 4 seat belts implying that it could carry 4 people within the 3500 limit.
As for the dealer increasing the price and showing 200kg payload, that smacks of them cheerily selling it to an unwitting customer, unless of course they advise the customer in writing that they should have it uprated to 3850 if they intend to make it fit for purpose.

I spoke with SVTech who downplated it to query why they would consider it, and was told the owner promised that he was the sole occupant and it would not carry anyone else. To me that is ludicrous, especially as it was sold/exchanged quite soon after. The increased price is to offset some of the extra expense they incurred when I won back all my costs and expenses.

Payload has been a issue since people started wanting larger MH's with more equipment, and then expecting to stick to a 3.5t licnce. I suspect there will be hundreds if not thousands of people driving overweight vans. A member on OAL IIRC found his van could only carry him and wife before it became over 3.5t, a long legal battle followed, which he won but with a NDA.

Another thought: if it was 3650 to start with, (which to start with would be unfit for purpose of carrying the four people there were seat belts for), why wasnt it 3850 or 4000kg in the first place? The only reason for wanting it to be 3500 is so that us totally incompetent morons who are over 70 can drive it without forking out for private medicals and form filling. So it would have made no difference to the original price if it was 4000kg. Though of course it would need stronger springs and tyres.
By the way talking of springs and going off topic - who knew that current Transits have plastic rear axle springs? Yes, it's true. Transits have PLASTIC springs!

There is always Trust Pilot for a review. Just give them one star.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back