CC experience

Telstar

Free Member
Thought that I would share this. Last week we were touring round and needed to be at Woodstock (near Oxford) for the weekend. We arrived at the CC site at Woodstock and were told that they were not taking any further bookings because the grass was wet/damp. Initially we were offered the late night arrivals for a couple of nights, but the warden overruled. This left us with a dilemma, either stay Wednesday night on the LNA area and leave Thursday, leave and return the next day (Thursday) for the LNA area or wildcamp. We needed to be at Woodstock Thursday for a meal and Friday onwards for a private rally.

The site was at the most 30% full, loads of car parking/tarmac available not to mention all the grass pitches but because we have a motorhome (campervan) we weren't going to be allowed on the grass. They called us 'offroaders' whatever that term means, I didn't ask, but the previous CC site also used the same term.:confused:

So it was decided that we would wildcamp on the nearest available place that we knew was safe and quiet. It wasn't my fault it was on the road outside the site. Public road, used as a shortcut by the locals to Woodstock by missing out the nearby island. It has parking all along its length which is used all day long by cars/vans and coaches further up. Anyway, after parking up, having some lunch, a walk into Woodstock and a siesta, a knock came on the door. It was the site assistant warden, strangely a pitch was available, somebody had left early and he was willing to take the wroth of the warden by offering me the pitch. I took him up on the offer, but I wonder if I hadn't been outside the site within view of some of the pitches, would the pitch have been available? or am I to cynical.

I must admit that this was not an intentional action on my part, but knowing the area a little, this road would be an ideal wilding location, just a shame that the CC site is accessed of it and you would need bare faced cheek to wild there.

Jon

Talk about "Anti Climax" I thought you were going to tell us that you told the assistant warden to Shove the Pitch up hos A*se:eek:.
Never mind "Any port in a Storm".

BTW ,Woodstock:confused:, that place rings a bell:eek::confused:, did something happen there a while ago?:cool::D

I thought about telling them where to shove it, but the wife wanted electric for the tea we had bought that day, pizza! Our only oven is electric, Autocruise only fitted a gas grill as std in the van.

Your right, Woodstock was in the news recently, and it didn't involve me....

Jon

Just round the corner there is a big house… with sheet loads of land :cool:

Bet he wouldn’t have minded you staying over…:rolleyes:

IMGP2811x640.jpg

IMGP2820x640.jpg

Offer the poor sod a cawfee and he’ll chuck in electrickery;)… tellim I sent you and you will defo have hard standing :rolleyes:

Regards:D
aj

bloody cc

Thought that I would share this. Last week we were touring round and needed to be at Woodstock (near Oxford) for the weekend. We arrived at the CC site at Woodstock and were told that they were not taking any further bookings because the grass was wet/damp. Initially we were offered the late night arrivals for a couple of nights, but the warden overruled. This left us with a dilemma, either stay Wednesday night on the LNA area and leave Thursday, leave and return the next day (Thursday) for the LNA area or wildcamp. We needed to be at Woodstock Thursday for a meal and Friday onwards for a private rally.

The site was at the most 30% full, loads of car parking/tarmac available not to mention all the grass pitches but because we have a motorhome (campervan) we weren't going to be allowed on the grass. They called us 'offroaders' whatever that term means, I didn't ask, but the previous CC site also used the same term.:confused:

So it was decided that we would wildcamp on the nearest available place that we knew was safe and quiet. It wasn't my fault it was on the road outside the site. Public road, used as a shortcut by the locals to Woodstock by missing out the nearby island. It has parking all along its length which is used all day long by cars/vans and coaches further up. Anyway, after parking up, having some lunch, a walk into Woodstock and a siesta, a knock came on the door. It was the site assistant warden, strangely a pitch was available, somebody had left early and he was willing to take the wroth of the warden by offering me the pitch. I took him up on the offer, but I wonder if I hadn't been outside the site within view of some of the pitches, would the pitch have been available? or am I to cynical.

I must admit that this was not an intentional action on my part, but knowing the area a little, this road would be an ideal wilding location, just a shame that the CC site is accessed of it and you would need bare faced cheek to wild there.

Jon
:mad:any wonder so many people hate the cc and its like? I certainly do and treat it and its adherents like lepers.They want to take over everything, every where and they rule like gauleiters- I even met some proslytising at a show in grey suits! :D:D:D

Jon
'off-roaders' usually refers to travellers who get off the beaten track. Where I hail from it is also a type of caravan, motor vehicle especially fitted out for rough terrain. Coorong

Jon,
I'm afraid shove it comes to mind, and the membership. Who pays the wages, yep you the membership. The CC got the elbow from me a long time ago, when a numpty said my dog had crapped on the grass:confused: it wasn't my dog, it was a tuggers roaming free on the site.

HappyCampingwhen your wilding:)

An alternative, close to Woodstock, is Sturdys Castle pub. It's on the A4260 between Kidlington and Deddington. They have a field behind the pub where you can stay for around £5/night. 51.870361,-1.330208 - Google Maps

AndyC

For those who do not wish to pay anything. A couple of hundred yards up from Sturdys on the same side is a large layby, always has a couple of lorries parked up, having arrive in the area late ( after closing ) have used it twice with no problems

Dezi

Just confirms how I feel about the CC, only interested in Caravans, they seem to hate campers and motorhomers. I voted with my feet 2 1/2 years ago and have never darkened their door since.
I had bad experiences on practically every site I used, being told I couldnt pitch here or there:mad:, but the tuggers would make you dizzy as they did 5 circuits of the site trying to find the pitch that most resembled the housing estate home driveway, they had escaped from.
Let them keep their suberb type sites.:p

An alternative, close to Woodstock, is Sturdys Castle pub. It's on the A4260 between Kidlington and Deddington. They have a field behind the pub where you can stay for around £5/night. 51.870361,-1.330208 - Google Maps

AndyC

I was at the first 'list meet there, with you and Don Madge, and lots of others.
Indoor skittle alley, great food, and the sun shone all week-end.
Is it still only a fiver a night ?

Allen

A few customers as wardens for CC have now gone over to CCC and that's coming from employees!! Just goes to show how Anti MH the CC can really be. Just find the croud at CCC much better. Even when I use to turn up with a rusting old 1967 Split screen, you were always welcome @ CCC. Different story when I met up with the parents on a CC site, talk about up their own !""£$%. No need for it really :(

I was at the first 'list meet there, with you and Don Madge, and lots of others.
Indoor skittle alley, great food, and the sun shone all week-end.
Is it still only a fiver a night ?

Allen
Ah yes, I remember it well :)

To be honest we haven't stayed there for as while as it's only just down the road from us, I think last time it was £5.50

AndyC

For those who do not wish to pay anything. A couple of hundred yards up from Sturdys on the same side is a large layby, always has a couple of lorries parked up, having arrive in the area late ( after closing ) have used it twice with no problems

Dezi

Yes, I go past it quite often and there is often a camper parked there. Burger van in the mornings too.

The pub field is a bit quieter though...

Another option is The Highwayman (used to be the Wise Alderman) pub just on the northern edge of Kidlington. I think it's a CL but they are happy for anyone to stay. http://www.thehighwaymanhotel.co.uk/

AndyC

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back