CB radio's

simong

I've been noticing lately alot of the forums I go on there seems to be a trend back to the old CB's, we've had one for years(met my now wife on the CB 15 years ago), and just wondered if anyone here had a 'rig' in the cab?

my handles Godzilla by the way lol

Hia
No CB now but thanks for bringing back the memories.
Kids sitting in the back of the old landy CB crackling away while on the mve.
Kept the kids quite for hours
when caravan (sorry didn't mean to swear)on site Kids sat in the landy in the evenings on the CB

Godzilla

Hi Simong, years ago I used a CB, and it was avery useful piece of kit. It was a Midland dual channel set, the ones you see about now are FM (correct me if i am wrong).
Do you find your CB of use ie; hold-ups, delays, raspberry ripples ahead etc etc, as I have thought about buying another, 10-4 Godzilla. Regards Nig.

Hi Simong, years ago I used a CB, and it was avery useful piece of kit. It was a Midland dual channel set, the ones you see about now are FM (correct me if i am wrong).
Do you find your CB of use ie; hold-ups, delays, raspberry ripples ahead etc etc, as I have thought about buying another, 10-4 Godzilla. Regards Nig.
yes mainly fm now, but it's not like it used to be, used to have a good laugh on it with all the breakers in sheffield, now it's mainly good for motorway use, still talk to the odd trucker going in the same direction as us, but I think it's slowly gaining popularity again, there seems to be more cb equipment on ebay.
We have a fidelity 3000 homebase and a jesan 7007 in the van which works when it feels like working lol, still cheaper than mobile phones around town.

not sure on the use during driving, but have read somewhere that it's legal to use while driving( would be the same as police officer in a car by them self's using their radio's), I know they did deregulate fm and am a couple of years back so no license is needed anymore, not that it stopped anyone using them before without one lol

By the way, In Italy there is a very hefty fine and confiscation if you get caught with a cb in your vehicle irrespective if turned on or off:eek:

Thats very strange,in the early days of CB some of the more powerful rigs were of Italian origin. Has Mr Belosconi banned it because he wants to control ALL media?

I have a Uniden Uniace 200 but not fitted.
OK if in the habit of travelling with other vans, but not sure how the law is nowadays with the hands free issue using mobiles.:confused:

The good news is CB radios are exempt from the mobile phone legislation.

Although it is worth remembering there could be a charge of '' driving in a manner without having proper control of the vehicle''.

Albeit this charge can apply to 1001 situations, from eating a sandwich to lighting a cigarette at the wheel etc. If the BIB's consider driving is below that standard expected of a competent driver ???

Channa

Last edited by a moderator:
cb

I've been noticing lately alot of the forums I go on there seems to be a trend back to the old CB's, we've had one for years(met my now wife on the CB 15 years ago), and just wondered if anyone here had a 'rig' in the cab?

my handles Godzilla by the way lol

speaking of CB radio ive had one or should i say a few over the last 35 years i always have one in the van there great chatting with loads of people even abroad, the best thing the DTI did was stop the licence fee so its free to use on uk/eu channels with standard 4 watts, ive got a few for sale cheaper than ebay.
my handle WHISKEY PAPA 13 ON SIDEBAND. OR GREEN MONNKEY. ON CB

REGARDS ANDY

Ive got an old Midland that I put in the van when we travel with my brother in law.....Find it useful and a bit of fun..occasionally pick up on other m/homers if we "eyeball" them on the road...10/10 down n gone....:;);):D

Black and White !!!!!

I had one of these once but you can't get the valves any more !!!:D :D :D

I have a couple of boxes full of CB stuff in the garage. Rigs, Power packs, SWR meters, etc, etc, but no twigs. Any one can have the lot for a small consideration. Caviat Emptor and all that. Paol.

I have a couple of boxes full of CB stuff in the garage. Rigs, Power packs, SWR meters, etc, etc, but no twigs. Any one can have the lot for a small consideration. Caviat Emptor and all that. Paol.

sheeet:eek:.. yer goin back te smoke signals:confused::confused::confused:....:eek: :eek:

regards:D
aj

we have been on and off the air since the mid 70s...we have a NATO 2000 which was mainly used for side banding...but it's now in the MH...we are off :cool:to Spain in September being followed down by some friends in their MH..and they have got a midland rig which was in our MH when we brought it..so we could have on contact on the way down...so listen out for the Oldcaveman (uk484) or Fash (Gordon)..10-4...10-10 !!;)

a little closer and I would have took you up on that

Went and had a look at the CB gear in my garage today. Did not realise I had so much of the stuff! 7 rigs, 2 homebases, 2 handhelds and A pile of power packs, meters, burners, mics, etc, etc. Still got a 5 star built into one of those amazing DIY homebase units [1980s style in teak chipboard] I used to 'dabble' in CB and Ham radio etc. I inherited the radio communications bug from my Mother who was a radio operator at Bletchley Park in WW2. It's all for sale I suppose, but I think I will put the 5 star in my old talbot, just for the Hell of it! Paol.

not sure on the use during driving, but have read somewhere that it's legal to use while driving( would be the same as police officer in a car by them self's using their radio's), I know they did deregulate fm and am a couple of years back so no license is needed anymore, not that it stopped anyone using them before without one lol

Dont believe it, we used to run taxis with radios, one night one of our women drivers was hijacked ( cord round her neck from behind) she clicked a switch that opened up her mike to all cabs we all heard what was going on and blocked the road. The guy gave himself up but was well connected. The result was that if she pressed charges then she would get done for using a radio whilst driving.
Single mum who made her money at night when her mum would look after her kids,
We eventually got justice (the barnsley way)
The joke is we are insured for using a radio but it is ileagal

You are certainly right Urbtaf, I used a 'Vox' hands free system, but you had to say every thing in one breath, or it would de-key the moment you paused. I know of two cases of 'failing to be in proper control of vehicle'. One was for using a mic and the other was; 'eating a bar of chocolate'. Both in Bournemouth, both fined and points on licence. You can also come unstuck if your twig is too big; 'dangerous or unsafe addition to vehicle' Shame it's not illegal for RT patrols to exist...enit? Paol.

twigs

how do. I have run with cb's in vehicles for the last 18 years, had all sorts of rigs and ariels but the one i use the most is a 9 foot stainless tank ariel. 12 monhs ago i happened upon a second one. they are both fitted to my land rover. After a number of sociable chats with police, they have only enquired as to why i have them, never told me to take them off. geuss I have just been lucky. Any way, if anyone ever see a black landrover that resembles some thing from madmax then that will be me, 'Mr. Mole'.
Catch ya later
Cheyne

speaking of CB radio ive had one or should i say a few over the last 35 years i always have one in the van there great chatting with loads of people even abroad, the best thing the DTI did was stop the licence fee so its free to use on uk/eu channels with standard 4 watts, ive got a few for sale cheaper than ebay.
my handle WHISKEY PAPA 13 ON SIDEBAND. OR GREEN MONNKEY. ON CB

REGARDS ANDY

Hi,sounds like agreat idea....how much are you looking for a set? Marty

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back