Cautionary tale about tyres.

It happened just outside Runnachs house. A couple had changed a damaged tyre on their car and instead of putting it in the boot the passenger put it on her lap in the passenger seat and it exploded killing the person.

Most exploding tyres in the video are commercial tyres . In my tyre fitting days we had to inflate truck tyres in a cage ,that was before elf n safety. I would expect the rules to be more stringent now , not a cage in sight in the vidio

It happened just outside Runnachs house. A couple had changed a damaged tyre on their car and instead of putting it in the boot the passenger put it on her lap in the passenger seat and it exploded killing the person.
Jaysus, that's horrible. Why on earth did she put it on her lap I wonder. 😕

Most exploding tyres in the video are commercial tyres . In my tyre fitting days we had to inflate truck tyres in a cage ,that was before elf n safety. I would expect the rules to be more stringent now , not a cage in sight in the vidio
I've never seen a cage in any tyre dealers I have ever visited (and standard car tyres going up in that video)

Not seen or heard of this kind of exploding tyres :(
I think I will avoid waiting directly in front of a tyre in future while I am filling it!

If my memory is correct it was a 2seater convertible with a space saver and they didn’t have enough room in the boot for the wheel.
I don't like space savers for this kind of reason. any swapout will not be put in as safe a place :(

Heard a wheelbarrow tyre explode, destroyed the wheel as well as tyre, luckily nobody anywhere near it at the time as it shot approx 25-30 foot away, went with a right bang, scary.

I think the reason for the cage was for wheels that had a collet holding the tyre on. I loved them as you could repair a puncture on the side of the road with little more than a jack to get the tyre off. You’d have to be a Pratt to try inflating it with the collet not in place.

One of my camper tyres burst on the inner rim last year after I found it low on pressure, i was about two miles from the station when it went bang big time, made everyone in the van jump a little.
What happened is the side wall weakened with driving half flat, the burst was about one foot six long in old money.

I worked with a guy who had the bottom of his leg cut off when changing a dumper (70 tonne Terex) or truck tyre back in the early 70’s. I don’t know the correct wording as I worked on the Asphalt plants but seems there was a thick steel band that held the tyre in place, they would vastly over inflate the tyre and it would pop into position. This time he did something wrong and it popped out.
Shortly after that they had ATS on contract for all the company tyres, shovel, dumper, lorry, van and car. Have heard of lots of other injuries when similar happened but only the one guy I knew myself. They did have cages for changing the commercial tyres with the bands, think they may be split rim wheels but as I said I never knew the names.

I worked with a guy who had the bottom of his leg cut off when changing a dumper (70 tonne Terex) or truck tyre back in the early 70’s. I don’t know the correct wording as I worked on the Asphalt plants but seems there was a thick steel band that held the tyre in place, they would vastly over inflate the tyre and it would pop into position. This time he did something wrong and it popped out.
Shortly after that they had ATS on contract for all the company tyres, shovel, dumper, lorry, van and car. Have heard of lots of other injuries when similar happened but only the one guy I knew myself. They did have cages for changing the commercial tyres with the bands, think they may be split rim wheels but as I said I never knew the names.
One of my tyres burst recently . Unfortunately the person closest wasn't , as far as I know , hurt .
I say unfortunately because they had slashed the tyre

Th
One of my tyres burst recently . Unfortunately the person closest wasn't , as far as I know , hurt .
I say unfortunately because they had slashed the tyre
e sort of tyres I mean you wouldn’t be slashing them, not sure if a chainsaw would do it but nothing less than that. They were serious off road tyres, some of them a good bit taller than me 👍

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back