Cauliflower recipes

Deleted member 207

I think caulis are often the forgotten veg and I have a couple of ways of cooking them up, the first is called Cauliflower and Potato Supreme and the second is a plain cauli kofta. The recipes are good for vegos. Whilst the deep frying is not 100% healthy it does not hurt to have this once a month.

Cube spuds about 1"
Cut cauli florettes to match the quantity of spuds.
You can also prepare as an option - green beans, red peppers, carrots, etc any firm veg will do.
Deep fry all the veg until golden brown.

Meanwhile make a sauce from sour cream or yoghourt about 300gms
1/2tsp Cayenne pepper, 1tsp salt, 2tsp turmeric, 1/2tsp ginger powder, few grinds of black pepper, juice of lemon or lime.
You can adjust the quantities up or down.

Put all the fried veg into the sauce, mix and serve warm with pappadums or chappatis.

The koftas -
grate a medium cauliflower and about 3" piece of fresh Turmeric, mix then together.
Add 2tsp of grated chilli, 1tsp of salt,
Mix in besan flour (chickpea flour) until the mixture is firm and will not drip off a spoon
roll into walnut sized balls
deep fry in ghee or if you really have to in veg oil.
Serve hot with chutneys or spicy tomato relish.

boil with potatoes mash all together with butter/creme-freche/yoghurt/mayo (what ever you prefer) add pepper, fry in tiny amount of oil till browned - turn over - fry - poach 2 eggs - put top of the mash and eat

Last edited:
However my all time favourite is..

Cauliflower cheese !
Must have grated cheese sprinkled on top and put under the grill.

(The cauliflower that is not me ! )

Cauliflower cheese !
Must have grated cheese sprinkled on top and put under the grill.

(The cauliflower that is not me ! )

An all time favourite of mine as well, I use Cheddar for the sauce and Parmesan on the top mixed with bread crumbs to give it a crusty top. I usually put nutmeg in the cheese sauce as well which for some reason works well with the flavours.

I have to admit I love Cauliflower cheese too....comfort food.

Here is a Indo African recipe that uses Cauliflower and broccoli. It looks extensive but isn't really as ideally serve it in separate bowls and let people add what quantities they want

Vegan Masala Cauliflower and Broccoli Tacos With Avocado and Coriander Sauce
Serves 4-6

500g mixed cauliflower and broccoli, broken into small florets
10 small green chillies, pierced (these will be fried too)
12 mini corn or wheat flour tortillas
Shredded lettuce, to serve
Toasted cashew nuts, to serve
Oil for deep frying

For the Batter:

100g chickpea flour
100g plain flour
2 tsp coarse semolina
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp salt
1 tsp lemon juice
240ml ice-cold sparkling water
1 tsp finely-chopped ginger

For the Avocado and Coriander Sauce:

2 large ripe avocados
2 tbsp non-dairy plain yoghurt or regular plain yoghurt if you’re not vegan
2 tbsp chopped coriander
1 medium clove garlic
¼ tsp salt
Juice of 1 lime

For the Radish and Red Onion Salad:

1 medium red onion, sliced finely
200g radishes, sliced finely
Handful chopped coriander
1 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp salt
½ tsp toasted nigella (kalonji seeds)

For the Pineapple Chutney:

500g pineapple (fresh, canned or frozen)
1 large onion, chopped finely
100g sugar
Juice of 2 limes
½ tsp salt
½ tsp freshly-ground mace
1 star anise
1 tsp nigella (kalonji seeds)

Method

1. To make the avocado and coriander sauce, blend all the ingredients together until super-smooth and creamy. Set aside.

2. To make the pineapple chutney, coarsely-blend the pineapple, Place into a large, non-stick pan with the sugar, lime juice, salt and onion. Cook on a medium heat, stirring frequently until thick and all the water has evaporated. This can take up to 40 minutes. Finally, add the mace, kalonji and star anise. Fill into a sterilized jar and set aside.

3. To make the radish and red onion salad, toss all the ingredients together and set aside.

4. To make the fried cauliflower and broccoli, place the vegetables in a microwave-safe plate with a splash of water and cook on high power for 3 minutes. Drain and allow to cool.

5. To make the batter, mix together all the ingredients and whisk until you get a not-too-thick batter. If it’s too thick, add a little more sparkling water.

6. Heat around 4 inches of oil in a tall pan or wok. Let it reach 180 degrees C. Place all of the vegetables and the chillies in the batter and mix until coated. One by one, tap off any excess batter and carefully drop into the hot oil. Fry the vegetables in small batches until they’re golden. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.

7. Warm up your tortillas, pile all of the fillings into bowls and plates and serve everything separate at the table for everyone to build their own tacos.

Channa

p.s Kalongi seeds are onion seeds and all good Asian delis should sort you out.

Flower scent

Love caulli meals and the best thing about cooking them in a camper van is every time you return to it for a few days afterwards you are instantly reminded of how nice the meal was.....

We like cauliflower rice but hate grating it, Aldi's now sell it for about 80/90p so yay never have to faff grating again.

When I was a youngster and lived in Glasgow, my mother had an allotment where she grew a lot of our garden produce ... caulli was one of her favourites so there was always an abundance of it. To save waste she would pickle it ... usually with gherkins and small onions ... the caulli was always my favourite and I'd fish it out every time a new jar was opened.

A Thai variation of Cauliflower cheese

Caulis in Thai are Ok but a bit dry.
Good cheese is difficult/expensive.

However all in a small saucepan
1 a small cauli boiled until "Al dente" i
2 drain the water leaving a very little
3 place a cheese slice on the cauli and heat gently
4 add coconut milk maybe 1 or 2 dessert spoons
5 continue to heat gently for 3 or 4 mins

Voila !
Simply a very pleasant "substitute"

I am sure Channa can experiment and develop !

Caulis in Thai are Ok but a bit dry.
Good cheese is difficult/expensive.

However all in a small saucepan
1 a small cauli boiled until "Al dente" i
2 drain the water leaving a very little
3 place a cheese slice on the cauli and heat gently
4 add coconut milk maybe 1 or 2 dessert spoons
5 continue to heat gently for 3 or 4 mins

Voila !
Simply a very pleasant "substitute"

I am sure Channa can experiment and develop !

For me the best part of your recipe is cooking "al Dente" for anyone that doesn't know it means " to the tooth" normally associated with Italian pastas. in reality the veg a little undercooked so it still has a bit of crunch. Biggest revelation are sprouts al dente !

All depends on what you are trying to achieve, in an ideal taking your recipe I would boil or preferably steam the florets of cauli and make the sauce separate.

The coconut milk gently heated in a pan the cheese grated and added stirred till you get a nice sauce.. For additional flavour add hint of lemon grass or finely chopped chive. ( use scissors if necessary) perhaps a few toasted peanuts or cashews.

If you then add the cauliflower to the sauce for a few moments the extra cooking brings it al dente if that makes sense.

I am available to visit Thailand to explore the possibilities ;)

Channa

Lemon grass

For me the best part of your recipe is cooking "al Dente" for anyone that doesn't know it means " to the tooth" normally associated with Italian pastas. in reality the veg a little undercooked so it still has a bit of crunch. Biggest revelation are sprouts al dente !

All depends on what you are trying to achieve, in an ideal taking your recipe I would boil or preferably steam the florets of cauli and make the sauce separate.

The coconut milk gently heated in a pan the cheese grated and added stirred till you get a nice sauce.. For additional flavour add hint of lemon grass or finely chopped chive. ( use scissors if necessary) perhaps a few toasted peanuts or cashews.

If you then add the cauliflower to the sauce for a few moments the extra cooking brings it al dente if that makes sense.

I am available to visit Thailand to explore the possibilities ;)

Channa

Sounds good
I will also do the sauce separately as you suggest and maybe a touch of Thai red curry paste.

CAULIFLOWER COUS COUS.

Finely chop the florets, toss in extra virgin and season with salt, black pepper and allspice,to taste
Place in hot oven or under a grill, turning frequently until nice and honey brown.
Add optional cream of balsam.

Grate any cheese you prefer,over it and serve with whatever you fancy.

Cooking brassicas in the van ?
Just add a couple of torn bay leaves,when boiling... OK?

There's a thing now - Here I am, sat eating cauliflower cheese for tea. Lovely. Nice coincidence. The recipes sound delicious.

well tried fried caulii it wasn't to unpleasant had it with fish finger and chips {my mistake dropped the cauli in the fryer by mistke lol}

A real easy one, but nice to serve as a bit of a centrepiece with a roast dinner. Steam cauli whole making sure it stays in one piece. Make a sauce using mayo or salad cream with mustard added to your taste. Cauli into a serving dish pour the sauce over and serve. You could also sprinkle grated cheese with breadcrumbs over and grill.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back