Casette not opening fully?

Borders2

Whilst away our toilet lever (to open the cassette) felt very stiff. After a bit of a struggle it seemed to come free but since then the cassette flap only opens about half to two thirds of the way. Suggestions please? Clean ones....

Start by taking the cassette out to narrow down where the problem is first try opening the flap on the cassette whilst it is out to see if it is stiff, if not then try the lever o the toilet with the cassette out , at least then you will know which part has the issue

I had one did that, i used silicon grease on the working levers, but after time with wear it went back to its old ways, so picked up a secont one from a chap and it works 100%, you may just find it worn and time to replace.

A few drops of olive oil, poured on to the rubber seal, around the edges will help with the lubrication [IIRC the cassette manufacturers say this is the *only* lubricant [other than water] that should be used, because anything else damages the seal. When the cassette is emptied and cleaned, tilting it whilst the seal is open, and adding a few drops of olive oil to the opening mechanism [tricky to hit the target], and then operating the open/close button 5-6 times helps to keep the mechnaism free

The only problem with this [aesthetics only] is that a creamy coloured film will form on the cassette rubber seal over time, but I've never felt the need to sit with a dampened cloth and wash the film away before returning the cassette to service!

Steve

A few drops of olive oil, poured on to the rubber seal, around the edges will help with the lubrication [IIRC the cassette manufacturers say this is the *only* lubricant [other than water] that should be used, because anything else damages the seal. When the cassette is emptied and cleaned, tilting it whilst the seal is open, and adding a few drops of olive oil to the opening mechanism [tricky to hit the target], and then operating the open/close button 5-6 times helps to keep the mechnaism free

The only problem with this [aesthetics only] is that a creamy coloured film will form on the cassette rubber seal over time, but I've never felt the need to sit with a dampened cloth and wash the film away before returning the cassette to service!

Steve
Its not always the seal but the levers and workings which require some lube, they also wear out over time.

Its not always the seal but the levers and workings which require some lube, they also wear out over time.
That's why I pour olive oil over the mechanism ['tilting the cassette after cleaning' comment], as well as on the rubber seal, Trev!

Steve

That's why I pour olive oil over the mechanism ['tilting the cassette after cleaning' comment], as well as on the rubber seal, Trev!

Steve
Teflon spray in the working levers, and on the base unit underneath, olive oil for the seal as you say.

It's a bit of a mucky job but for anyone with any kind of DIY skill it is relatively easy to replace the old for new as the OE parts are readily available.

Many videos on Youtube about blade problems.
Just find the one that best matches your situation.
This is just one.

What model toilet is this? FWIW, we had a similar issue with our Thetford C2 and it turned out that when the flush knob freed off, the screw securing the knob to the blade-valve opener in the housing and worked loose so the blade was no longer being opened. All it took was to remove the cap at the centre of the flush knob, line up the knob with the valve opener and tighten up the screw using a very long bladed crosspoint screwdriver. If it's the same with your toilet, you'll probably need to carefully rotate the flush knob while slowly tightening the screw until you find the correct position.

First of all blame the wimmin. On the odd occasion when we’ve had a similar sounding problem it was a wad of paper getting caught in the mechanism. A thorough clean up and extensive retraining undertaken and alls well again for now.

It might also be worth looking for a fawny Beige lime scale build up of ‘Crystalluria’ around the mechanism caused by all the wee over time, it actually goes rock hard & can easily foul up moving parts.

(🤔
It’s nice to know that even a Zombie of my age occasionally produces something hard).

I just fixed this issue and thanks to this video:
which oddly seems to be the only one to address the matter.
Tips: a good mirror and a work light help a lot and the screw is surprisingly fine, my usual cross head was too big so I tried what I thought would be too fine but it was spot on. If like us the blade has only been partly opening then when adjusted be aware there may well be fecal matter hiding on the blade.

Thanks to all though for us up here the water is soft so ladies if you go to Kelso beware the shampoo quantities. Try a fifth of your usual. ;)

B2

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back