Carver 4000 fanmaster thermocouple

More photos, I am thinking this from the side of the gas valve is the temperature regutator as it sits underneath the fire not the thermocouple and that the thermocouple is the bottom one with its end above the pilot burner. all thoughts on this appreciated.

Well yes the thermostat to give you regulation, inside the box you have opened :)

Yes, there are two things that look similar. The one with the longer, fatter barrel is a thermostat probe which presumably alters the size of the flame.
My heater like that didn't have such a thing: you could turn it up and down, but no thermostat. However, my gas Aga has two things that are just like that, and they are thermostats. The FFD has failed twice, but neither of those have ever given any trouble.
The slimmer probe is the FFD thermocouple, such as you can get from Screwfix for a tenner. That's the thing that is the suspected fault (in my guess, at least)

Looking at the all the various photos my professional advice is to completely bin the entire unit, pipework and completely replace with new .
Do not try and repair anything..
Its well past its sell by date.
The corrosion says it all.. GET RID OF IT.. don't mess about trying to resurrect gas appliances or pipes or anything..!!
Speaking with absolute authority as an ex-product design engineer for major gas appliances namely Parkinson Cowan, Moffat, Main Gas, Cannon, Electrolux to name but a few that have employed me years ago..
BIN IT!
please..
don't mess about with LPG gas..
unless you want to wake up dead in your motorhome, caravan or boat in the morning
sorry for banging on..
best
Tim

i'd love a closer look . the one on the right looks like an electro magnet with a thermocoupe . the other half looks like a normal gas valve ,which is opened by pressure from underneath , and the spring is held back by the magnet . i don't think its a thermostat

Looking at the all the various photos my professional advice is to completely bin the entire unit, pipework and completely replace with new .
The corrosion says it all.. GET RID OF IT.. don't mess about trying to resurrect gas appliances or pipes or anything..!!
Speaking with absolute authority as an ex-product design engineer for major gas appliances namely Parkinson Cowan, Moffat, Main Gas, Cannon, Electrolux to name but a few that have employed me years ago..
BIN IT!
please..
unless you want to wake up dead in your motorhome, caravan or boat in the morning
sorry for banging on..
best
Tim
shame they did not design some with stainless screws, most of the corision is on the screws and bits of iron that hold bits together but I am listening, all the pipes underneath are copper, no idea why the put a steel bend at the end of that which is still half on the outside.

shame they did not design some with stainless screws, most of the corision is on the screws and bits of iron that hold bits together but I am listening, all the pipes underneath are copper, no idea why the put a steel bend at the end of that which is still half on the outside.
the trouble is that you cant really mix stainless screws with mild steel plates etc.. creates a sort of corrode reaction .. all metals in direct contact with each other need to be of the very same material.. or £$%^ happens

BIN IT!
please..
sorry for banging on..
best
Tim

Ageed. Even if it works it will surely be inefficient and TOO risky

What are peoples thoughts on a replacement fire type make etc in case I have to swap?
Buy a new one the same. No power use, really good, last many years. The problem is finding somewhere to fit it: that bit's sorted for you!

One thing no one has mentioned irreespective of what you do is replace the seals to the heater unit they are one trip ponies

Don't need to replace the seals if you get new ones with a new heater!

Buy a new one the same. No power use, really good, last many years. The problem is finding somewhere to fit it: that bit's sorted for you!
Have not seen a new one advertised that doeas what this did.

I am pretty sure it has fans. Not sure about electric elements.
They do others with fans and electric elements, but I'm not sure of any of them vent through the floor.

i'd love a closer look . the one on the right looks like an electro magnet with a thermocoupe . the other half looks like a normal gas valve ,which is opened by pressure from underneath , and the spring is held back by the magnet . i don't think its a thermostat
I forgot to mention that the ones that look identical to that on my Aga are thermostats in the sense of an electric thermostat. They don't regulate or modulate: they switch on and off at the desired temperature.

I am pretty sure it has fans. Not sure about electric elements.
They do others with fans and electric elements, but I'm not sure of any of them vent through the floor.
mine vents through the roof anyway.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back