Carrying Tandem on bike rack

colpot

Spent Sat Night at Horsley C&CC site and had a good night by the lake.:) We have decided to try to carry our Tandem on the back of the Hymer and wondered if anyone knows if its lawful to have the wheels sticking out either side of the body of the M/H. :confused:Its only by a couple of inches each side (or will be when I finish modifying the bike rack!) and obviously the mirrors stick out further than that.
I can remove the front wheel but would like the stability of having both wheels secured:)

Thanks Solwaybuggier

Sorry I'm sending this as PM but my account for some reason is not letting me post and Admin hasn't yet responded. If you want to quote this reply feel free.

I belong to a powerkite forum where there was a recent thread about "side overhang" when carrying kite buggies on rear racks - the following response may be useful:

From my recollection of the law when I was a Traffic Police Officer, and from consulting a recent copy of "the Traffic Officer's Companion' the load forms part of the overall width of the vehicle if it is not on a separate trailer. So you can have stuff sticking out sideways as long as it doesn't exceed the total permitted width for the type of vehicle, which in your case is 2.55m (Reg.8, Construction and Use Regs 1986).
However, you also need to take into account the effect that a wide overhang may have for other road users, particularly if it not marked in any way, i.e a pedestrian/cyclist etc may assume that your vehicle is the normal with and not see the tyre.
Police will fall back on a second reg. covering Dangerous Vehicle (Reg 100). I'll give you the full text:

A motor vehicle, every trailer drawn thereby, and all parts and accessories shall at all times be such that no danger is caused or is likely to be caused to any person in or on the vehicle or traier, or on a road, by reason of:

condition or unsuitable purpose

number of passengers

manner of passengers carried

weight, distribution, packing and adjustment of load.

The load shall so be secured by physical restraint and be in such a position that neither danger nor nuisanceis likely to be caused to any person or property by reason of the load moving or being blown or falling from the vehicle.

That's the chapter and verse - depending on the width of the overhang you could apply the principles of rear overhang and use some form of marker or similar, perhaps a dayglo wheel cover to show that you've taken all reasonable steps to alert people that there is an overhang.

Hope that helps...

Thanks Solwaybuggier for the info.

Spent Sat Night at Horsley C&CC site and had a good night by the lake.:) We have decided to try to carry our Tandem on the back of the Hymer and wondered if anyone knows if its lawful to have the wheels sticking out either side of the body of the M/H. :confused:Its only by a couple of inches each side (or will be when I finish modifying the bike rack!) and obviously the mirrors stick out further than that.
I can remove the front wheel but would like the stability of having both wheels secured:)
remember your awning protrudes around three inches from one side albeit higher up, i think as your other reply says as long as you are within width limit of 2.55 and do not present a danger to other road users you should be ok
regards tony

another member i know has a tandem bike carrier,(they do make them),
i dont think you will have any problem with the width it would not be wider than your mirrors and as long as it dose not block your view from the mirrors i see no problem
to give you peace of mind may be a bit of fluro ribbon on each wheel

saw chap with tandem on bike rack and to make it fit within the size of the van he had removed the front wheel and rested the forks on the carrier

bertie

Tandem carrier

I have a tandem which I carry on the bike rack. My current vehicle is wider than the tandem, however my previous was not. I carried the tandem vertically on the back. I made a small bracket from angle iron and welded 2 bolts to it. The wheel of the tandem is removed and you slot the forks over the bolts and tighten the nuts and the tandem hangs on the back. I used a ratchet strap to keep it secure. It's difficult to describe without a picture. If you think this is of use I could do a sketch and email it to you.

We have a Fiammia tandem rail fitted to a std bike rack, the wheels stick out about 6" both sides, and like others have said it's no more than the mirrors.

The law used to be no more than 18" with out warning signs/lights.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back