Carrying a motorcycle in your MH garage

Robmac

During a recent thread a discussion started regarding the legality of carrying a motorcycle inside your vehicle. As everything seemed a bit vague, I thought I would email the DVSA to get some clarification. The reply was as follows;

Thank you for your email enquiry dated 26 March 2021, concerning a motorhome with a garage.

DVSA can only provide advice for the MOT regulations of vehicles.

For information on road legality, you will need to address your enquiry to the Department for Transport, as they deal with the Construction and Use Regulations and Road Law.

The Department for Transport can be telephoned on 0300 330 3000, e-mailed (for construction & use requirements) via ivs.enquiries@dft.gsi.gov.ukor you can visit their website here for further contact details.

I hope this information has assisted you with your enquiry, but if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us again.

So, I duly contacted the DOT. I now have the following response from them;

Carriage of motorcycles in campervans

Thank you for your e-mail to the International Vehicle Standards division of the Department for Transport about the carriage of motorcycles in a garage area integrated into a motor caravan.

We do not believe that there are any regulations which specifically prohibit the carrying of motorcycles in the integrated garage area of a motor caravan however, there are certain regulations which may be relevant and with which you should be familiar and comply. Regulation 100 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 (as amended)(1) requires that the load carried by a motor vehicle shall be secured, if necessary by physical restraint other than its own weight, and be in such a position that presents no danger. If you intend to carry small amounts of fuel for use with the motorcycle, you should also be aware of the provisions of the Carriage of Dangerous Goods and Use of Transportable Pressure Equipment Regulations 2009 (as amended)(2). You may wish to reference the guidance covering the carriage by private individuals of petrol by road, available from the following link: -

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...1202-petrolun1203-and-kerosene-un1223-by-road

Yours sincerely

Jim Hand

I will keep this reply in my archives and should anybody require a copy in future, please let me know.

Incidentally, the ADR (dangerous goods) rule for carrying fuel can fall under limited quantities, but fuel in a scooter fuel tank would most probably be under that

I think you are right Graham.

I think the whole issue is nothing to be concerned about.

The point of contention , regarding carriage of a motorcycle in a motorcaravan , is not one of its security , or dangerous goods , its down to its conflict with rules regarding taxation . If its not an item needed for habitation of a motorcaravan , it then becomes goods that move the vehicle from being a motorcaravan to that of living van . This changes the mot requirement for test purposes , and consequently the rate of road tax .

Carriage of fuel was last updated in 2014 : Petroleum (Consolidation) Regulations 2014.

:The carriage of petrol or diesel by private individuals in a vehicle where the fuel is intended for their personal or domestic use, including their leisure or sporting activities, is exempt from the general restrictions on the carriage of dangerous goods by road.However, where fuel is carried in refillable containers filled by or for a private individual, the total quantity transported must not exceed 240 litres at a time and each individual container must not contain more than 60 litres. In addition, the individual must take measures to prevent the containers from leaking.Notwithstanding the general limit of 60 litres per container, it is worth noting that the individual local authority petroleum licence under which a filling station operates may impose a limit on the capacity of individual containers that may be filled with fuel at that filling station. In addition, filling station operators can apply their own limits on the capacity of individual containers that may be filled with fuel

Its irrelevant about being for hire or reward , not mentioned in legislation regarding motorcaravan, operators licence likewise. HTSH :)

Horse boxes with living accomodation cannot be mot'd as motorcaravan .

They run into all sorts of other problems depending on ownership of the horses and if for competitive use as well. Don't display your trophy on the dash!

Its irrelevant about being for hire or reward , not mentioned in legislation regarding motorcaravan, operators licence likewise. HTSH :)

Correct and thats how a chap got done as his MOT & Tax did not cover the van as a camper, it should be retaxed as a living van, however ,you can carry a mob scooter in the garage as its a aid.

I cannot see how a scooter for personal use can be classed as goods, if that is the case then everything we carry could be classed as goods, what about push bikes carried in motorhomes, on on bike racks and people that have tow cars ?

Unless the law has been changed, I expect satnavs are still illegal. You are not allowed a viewing screen visible to the driver.

I understand farmers have the same sort of problems, they have powerful tractors, large trailers
but if they carry a motorcycle on a public road it becomes a issue. :unsure:

The point of contention , regarding carriage of a motorcycle in a motorcaravan , is not one of its security , or dangerous goods , its down to its conflict with rules regarding taxation . If its not an item needed for habitation of a motorcaravan , it then becomes goods that move the vehicle from being a motorcaravan to that of living van . This changes the mot requirement for test purposes , and consequently the rate of road tax .

I would imagine that the DVSA would have advised on taxation classes when they received my email and advised me to contact the DOT.

However, I have now written back to the DVSA to confirm that a motorhome with a garage and carrying a motorcycle can be taxed as a motor caravan. So far I have found the tone of the replies from both the DVSA and the DOT to be helpful.

I shall update this thread when the DVSA respond.

Correct and thats how a chap got done as his MOT & Tax did not cover the van as a camper, it should be retaxed as a living van, however ,you can carry a mob scooter in the garage as its a aid.

But surely Trev, there would have been hundreds of cases of prosecution and I can't find one?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back