Careful where you park!

Every time we had a thunderstorm a a child my gran used to open all the doors and windows she used to say it was case a lightening bolt came down the chimney it could go straight out without harming anyone.

Your gran and mine must have been twin sisters, she also told us to stay away from the Crittal windows we had in the council house we lived in then because we would die when the lightning struck the frames :eek:

My mum carried on the tradition and was terrified of thunderstorms to the point were she would take us and hide under the stairs until it had finished.

My brother was also scared stiff of them right up to when he dropped dead.

I however was completely the opposite, loved them and still do, i was fascinated by the different lightning patterns and colours, i passed this on to our daughter who inturn has passed it onto her son, they will both spend time actively watching the storms.

Your gran and mine must have been twin sisters, she also told us to stay away from the Crittal windows we had in the council house we lived in then because we would die when the lightning struck the frames :eek:

My mum carried on the tradition and was terrified of thunderstorms to the point were she would take us and hide under the stairs until it had finished.

I however was completely the opposite, loved them and still do, i was fascinated by the different lightning patterns and colours, i passed this on to our daughter who inturn has passed it onto her son, they will both spend time actively watching the storms.
I’m the same I love to be out in a thunderstorm

One of the best places to watch Lightning is on the Highveldt in South Africa, it really is spectacular. I spent a few nights watching it while at work. I should explain I was waiting for offline pressure vessels filling with liquid so I could do a pressure test (a long, slow cushy job :giggle: ).
More people are killed by lightning strikes in Southern Africa than anywhere else in the World (I read that somewhere).

while in the army in exercise in the black forest we were camped in the old army bell tents nr the top of a mountain in a clearing for an hour early morning there was the most spectacular electrical storm raging all around we had rolled up the sidewallsv& lay in bed watching it flickering all around and then an almighty flash , only next day did we worry about a strike

I’m the same I love to be out in a thunderstorm
Been like that from a child have you. 😂
van de graph.jpg

I’m the same love a good thunderstorm Malcolm on the other hand thinks that I’m totally crazy! I even like walking in the rain!

One of the best places to watch Lightning is on the Highveldt in South Africa, it really is spectacular. I spent a few nights watching it while at work. I should explain I was waiting for offline pressure vessels filling with liquid so I could do a pressure test (a long, slow cushy job :giggle: ).
More people are killed by lightning strikes in Southern Africa than anywhere else in the World (I read that somewhere).
Bugger, I just read the same on here Jim, this is how rumours start I bet :D :D

I think I posted on my France thread, that we were playing cards in the van and saw a lightning flash and the thunder followed it right away so it must have been right overhead, we nearly had an underwear accident it was so loud and the van shook, storms don't bother us and where we live we see them hitting the wind farm on the other side of the valley.

Chap that gives me a hand now and again had his cousin a girl hit by lightning when out on a horse, the strike hit her wrist watch went through her and killed the horse, her arm to this day has a burn ring where the watch was. :eek:
Just as my wifes aunt covers mirrors and hides under the stairs during t lightning, my gran also covered mirrors clossed curtins and covered the fire incase it came down the chiminey.😂

thats what my mum and dad did...
.plus we had to pull out all elec plugs from sockets
front and back door was opened wide??????
(so if it came in the house it could get out again////// Hmm

Lightening can be dangerous inside the house, people were killed whilst using the old (corded) 'phones as well as it being dangerous to take a shower or bath during a storm. Still unlikely though.

Lightning hit a BT distribution box that served our house in the 1980's. The bell pinged and the phone was dead. Because we lived in a rural area (on a Farm) BT never properly repaired or renewed the phone line, probably due to cost reasons. It was crap until we moved.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back