Cards accepted at French fuel stations

Go Motorhoming

Cards are now accepted at French fuel stations

We just came back from 2 weeks research trip in France, having driven about 3000 miles down to the south coast and back, the very scenic route, stopping at about 150 aires.

My point being we fueled up every day randomly but mostly at supermarkets as they tend to be the cheapest. We found that many of the fuel pumps now accepted our cards. This was not the case a month ago except ESSO Express 24/24 unmanned garages that all accept UK cards and tend to be the cheapest price around. My guess is that one card processors has started accepting UK cards so it is just a case of trying.

Chris

Go Motorhoming said:
Cards are now accepted at French fuel stations

We just came back from 2 weeks research trip in France, having driven about 3000 miles down to the south coast and back, the very scenic route, stopping at about 150 aires.

My point being we fueled up every day randomly but mostly at supermarkets as they tend to be the cheapest. We found that many of the fuel pumps now accepted our cards. This was not the case a month ago except ESSO Express 24/24 unmanned garages that all accept UK cards and tend to be the cheapest price around. My guess is that one card processors has started accepting UK cards so it is just a case of trying.

Chris
Useful for us chris as we're going in a couple of months ,your info is much appreciated ,just finished Go Motorhoming great info
Rob

Yes very good info when me and my m8s went last year we had about 5 different types of uk card and none worked so this year should be better:)

Great info dont like to carry too much cash with me when on the move
this is what this site is about :) a exchange of usefull info

Carrefour or most of the Supers NEVER accepted my C/C or debit card at automatic pumps or any non-attended sites in France last year so i am still sceptical.
Never had a problem when attended but then you are always low when they take their longggggggggg lunch break .

BTW Asdas card auto pumps do not accept a lot of C/cards here as well!!!!! talk about progress 1 step forward and 3 back!!!!

Champion at Lamor-Baden, Brittany did not accept UK cards in May 2007 in their automatic machine (Cashier was at Lunch), but did accept them at the kiosk when she returned

Hello

What cards can be used please. And are they credit or debit or both. We use Nationwide & Saga as both of these do not charge a fee for purchases in the EU.

Thanks

Motorhomer

Motorhomer said:
Hello

What cards can be used please. And are they credit or debit or both. We use Nationwide & Saga as both of these do not charge a fee for purchases in the EU.

Thanks

Motorhomer

Elizabeth,

Usually the automatic pumps will only except French Cards this has been ongoing for many years.

The kiosks when open usually excepts both Debit & Credit Cards.

We always have enough Euro in hand to pay for the fill up if there is a problem with the plastic.

If you are desperate for fuel and only the auto pumps are in operation you might be able to persuade a local to let you fill up on their card and then pay them in Euro.

Don

The card info is useful, but 150 aires in 2 weeks.
Wow, thats a real gas guzzler you've got, or you enjoy your bed !!

(Before anybody shouts at me, only joking, I know Chris investigates aires during research)

Voxy.

Motorhomer said:
Hello

Thanks

Motorhomer
I only had a problem with one which was large supermarket in Abbeville think it was a Geant where it accepted the code and everything then declined the cards.Tried Nationwide and visa ,but paid at kiosk in the end which took the card no problem.
Rob

Kermit

Hi Rob, I am off to Kermit land myself next weekend, just hope the weather picks up or I will have to go straight through and into Spain:D

Sure it will Graham-we had a good time despite the rain ,sure you and cath will---enjoy
Rob and Jaine

cards

We were unable to use a card at petrol stations in France. We were able to use it in Sweden where a lot of petrol stations are unmanned.

We just came back from 3 months touring France Through Spain and Portugal ,no trouble using cards in France except on sunday or when kiosks were unmanned then you have to have french c cards.

val

alanval said:
We just came back from 3 months touring France Through Spain and Portugal ,no trouble using cards in France except on sunday or when kiosks were unmanned then you have to have french c cards.

val

Val,

There have been posts on a couple of the motorhome forums where people have been able to get fuel from the auto pumps in France with UK credit cards. It seems at last sombody is getting their act together.

Don

Hi I hope they are it was a bit of a pain making sure we did`nt need to get fuel on sundays and out of hrs.The motorway services were ok they are manned all the time and we usually got the gaslow there as well.
Val

Val,

I see you live in Scotland, whats the LPG situation there please. We are doing a 5 week? coastal tour up the west and down the south so I might have to refill my bottle.

I've got a list of refueling stations but it's better to have first hand info.

Thanks

Don

Well we just had the Gaslow fitted before we went to europe so we have only had it filled up the once here ,That was at Carlisle on the Brampton rd the calor gas place at Carlisle refused to sell us any he said it had to be a fixed container try as we would he would not have it that our cylinder was fixed.so we founf a small garage that let us fill up.Some people just wont listen he was on about filling refilable ones .We have pprinted out a list from LPG gas association website www.boostlpg.co.uk cant get it to highlight.....there appears to be quite a lot of places on it ..

Val

Val,

Do you have an external filling point? I've had my bottle for four years now and never had a problem even in Italy where they are not suppose to sell LPG to diesel vehicles.

Don't ask I know it sounds crazy, I had a friend who was refused LPG there but managed to fill up in Sicily.

We have filled up in Sardinia with no problems as well.

Don

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back