Caravan club

TWS

Just cancelled my DD for the renewal of my CC membership I think it's now £43.00 per year and TBH I can count on one finger the number of times I've used the CC in the past year. I was just wondering if many members on here are just members and never or use the CC sites. The annual fees have doubled since I joined not to long ago TBH !

We, also, are members of both clubs and purely use them for their CL and CS network. Only used Club sites twice, once because we were meeting family and the second time because we had a voucher to use! I do think the fees are well worth it to be able to access the 5 van sites. Very useful for a night when wilding for emptying and filling.

I relinquished my membership purely because I wasnt using the sites due to work commitment.

When I was full timing the CC was very useful a guaranteed, disposal of waste, take onboard water, top up the leisure battery via the ehu.....clean shower blocks, access to washing machines ( bain of my life on the road). Furthermore I added my daughter so her and boyfriend could if they wished camp on sites the tuther end of country.

If you spend a lot of time in the van both CC and CCC offer good value for money

Whilst I used cl's my favourite was the Clumber Park site in Notts, Wednesday night £7 inc EHU and a Hot shower, good cycling and dog walking all for the price of two Carling lagers

Channa

Last edited by a moderator:
When I used the sites I was happy with them in general but then I discovered wildcamping and as a choice I prefer the wildcamping ! It's just my preference TBH, I just thought whats the point of paying £43.00 when I'm not using the services. My only gripe with the CC was the over zealous power crazy wardens at some sites that behaved like jobsworths ! Can't do this ! Can't do that ! Must park there ! Can't walk there etc etc so I don't miss that element of the CC club TBH. But your all right in fairness about the value for money at the CL sites if you use them.

We have just got our renewal and yes I think £43 is a lot, we have never been on a CC site because of the cost, we do use the 5cs but some of them are getting expensive in my opinion, with the m/h all you need is somewhere to park, water and wc dump. I know I am getting old and out of touch with prices but I think £5 a night is ample for this. May be it is time the caravan club looked at there sites and pricing structure, maybe an area with a tap and wc dump, at a sensible price away from the toilet and showers and any thing else they have, maybe they would increase there income because I and many others never go into CC sites. This I think will be our last year with them, this year we have been going into farms and ask if we can park most say yes. :drive: :drive:

When I used the sites I was happy with them in general but then I discovered wildcamping and as a choice I prefer the wildcamping ! It's just my preference TBH, I just thought whats the point of paying £43.00 when I'm not using the services. My only gripe with the CC was the over zealous power crazy wardens at some sites that behaved like jobsworths ! Can't do this ! Can't do that ! Must park there ! Can't walk there etc etc so I don't miss that element of the CC club TBH. But your all right in fairness about the value for money at the CL sites if you use them.

Stopped our DD for membership to the CC for the same reasons.Who needs it with full membership of this site.
Would rather wild camp and not be parked up in a line with other campers.I guess we must be a bit unsociable.Hey Ho that's how we are .

We like to rally with the CCC and have just had a week at Weymouth with them, great value, We were CC members as well at one time but gave that up as we don't like booking things and to rally with the CC one has to book, unlike the CCC you can just turn up and are made very welcome, we have joined the MCC recently and have enjoyed several rallies with them too.

We were members of CC so we could use the insurance for our dog's,but when they started asking over £600 for each dog it was time to leave the club.
The last time we stayed at one of there site's was in 2004 and we have never looked back.

We only use them for access to the CL network. We have found some great sites and not that expensive. Seen a couple of CC Sites with everyone facing the same way.All to regimental for us.

Caravans all facing the same way? That made me laugh. I remember the Caravan Club site at Ardgarten (a great loch side site with minimum facilities that has now bitten the dust, sadly)but we dared to hang washing out on a line. Didn't take long before we were told politely that the washing line had to span the length of the van, not across the pitch!!!

After 4 years of membership, I didn't renew my CC membership last year. I just wasn't using the sites enough to make it worthwhile. When I wanted to stay on a larger site for the facilties, there either wasn't one where I wanted to go, or it was fully booked. It seems that many members book pitches in advance for the whole season, although I suspect that there was problem with people not taking these up, as when I left, they had just introduced a fine for no-shows.
I used about 4 CLs in the four years I was a member, and yes, some of these are quite expensive for what you get. I think you probably have to be a member of both the Cararvan Club and Caravan and Camping club to get good coverage. I guess that's reasonable value if you are full-timing or out every weekend, but it's not worthwhile for me. If you need a 'full-service' site, there are plenty of non-club exclusive ones. An exception I have found is Southport, where the only two official sites are club-specific. On the other hand, Robin Hood's Bay is a regular destination for me and neither of the two sites there are club sites.

Certainly, membership of Wilcamping has given me much better value for money, even without the WC site info. The extensive on-line community itself is a big bonus.

We are C&CC members, ditched the CC a few years ago as we never used their sites much and their CL prices have generally shot up.

It gives us more choice of where to stay. If the weather turns wild, it is handy to hunker down on a cheap CS. The THS are good value and in some nice areas.

BTW, the THS we are on at the moment is also a 5 van CS. It has no hookup but is cheap and nicely situated. It is Crimdon House Farm MR93/483365.

CC&C or NOT

Hi TWS,

I have been with the CC&C for the last ten years,used them for main holidays when we had our old CF classic Dormobile but as we tended to show the van for the rest of the year the membership did not get a lot of use.On retiring from work and crawling under classics we use the CC&C more but mostly for Ferry's and van Insurance as they are 10% cheaper for booking crossings and the most useful when I return from travelling I book my return crossing when nearing the channel,( I don't book a return at home as I have complete freedom to return as it suits,so no problem and no last minute panic to reach the port by a set time). I get a great service and price and they have my details on their screens and it only takes a couple of minutes to book.The magazine is a bit to much tents, tow cars,and walking boots (how many can you buy in a year).The £30-£40 membership is a night out at the pub,or Half a meal if you take your wife as well?.(CARRY ON CAMPING SID JAMES "Three washing lines for a POUND".:wacko:

Regards Snowbirds.

Just cancelled my DD for the renewal of my CC membership I think it's now £43.00 per year and TBH I can count on one finger the number of times I've used the CC in the past year. I was just wondering if many members on here are just members and never or use the CC sites. The annual fees have doubled since I joined not to long ago TBH !

Hi TWS,

The £30-£40 membership is a night out at the pub,or Half a meal if you take your wife as well?.(CARRY ON CAMPING SID JAMES "Three washing lines for a POUND".:wacko:

Regards Snowbirds.

Both of these clubs are now £43 a year for membership, and if that's a night out at the pub, or half a meal, I'd stay in! :scared:
Clearly, membership is good value for some people, or they wouldn't still be in business.

We are members of both clubs. We don't use club sites, insurance or ferry booking. The later two because they don't meet our need and booking direct I have found to be cheaper. I don't rally either. I don't see the point of being herded into a field, when I can wild park. I suppose we are antisocial loners as we don't stay with groups abroad either preferring to do our own thing.

As full timers we do use CL and CS sites while touring the UK. We use Aires to use the facilities en route abroad, but wild park most of the time.

C&CC phoned me this week offering full timing insurance, however their breakdown cover was only for 60 days, outside of the UK on any one trip, we do 6 months. My current insurer gives 365 days EU breakdown with the same breakdown company that the C&CC were offering. They told me they couldn't offer that so I told them they would need to up their game to get my business.

The members of clubs are the ones who are driving CL & CS sites to put in more facilities such as hook-ups, showers, toilets etc.

They demand the services of a fully serviced pitch and that can only be done at a cost to the site owner, who has to recover his expenditure by increasing his prices. At times it is more cost effective to keep the money in the bank and shut the CL or CS down. Caravans and Motor Caravans are like chalk and cheese. They don't want or need the same facilities. That is why we need more motorhome dedicated overnight parking with reasonably prices services.

Clubs

When we first started motorhoming twenty years ago we joined the Caravan Club and the Camping and Caravan Club. After visiting the Great Dorset Steam Fair four of us, two vans, decided to go to Brixham,I did the phone booking, I told the receptionist we would like four days, the first thing she asked was how many wheels had the van got, I did a quick count and said well it has two at the front and four at the back, she said she would have to give us a super pitch as I would get stuck on the grass apparently a car and caravan wouldn’t, so we duly parked on the super pitch and put the awning up, down she came and said that would be another three pounds, by now I thought this is getting complicated, away she went, my friend returned from taking his dog for a walk and down she came again a dog was another three pounds, by now our super pitch with sea view was enshrouded in mist and I was thinking have we done right in buying a motorhome,this was the first and last time we ever stayed at a club site. During our short stay I realised what a regulated group of people these carravaners were they did not seem self thinking people and we soon realised the motor home was the right decision the Clubs were not .On travelling around for a while it became apparent that Club Members had been indoctrinated with Club rules and that those rules applied everywhere which of course they don’t. All too often I have seen Club members trying to enforce their petty rules where the simply don’t apply so I am always very wary if one appears with the dreaded sticker (to me) on the windscreen.
My latest altercation with a Club member was last year in Northern Spain when we drove onto an area by the beach where there were a few motorhomes parked of foreign registration the owners were windsurfing, on entering the area there was a huge sign in English saying no overnight stop for camping cars, adjacent to the area there was a campsite, I asked an English speaking German what was the situation for parking overnight he said no problem the police drive round twice a day without any challenge, we stayed a couple of nights and then Mr clubman arrives we had a bit of chat and he asked me about parking so I repeated what I had been told, he then to my amazement said I will ask the police when they come round if it is alright to stay overnight, I said like f--- you will if you are not happy go into the campsite, do you expect them to say yes when it clearly states you cannot, would you ask a traffic warden in the UK if you could park on double yellow lines !! thankfully he went away otherwise we may have all been asked to move on.
Wild camping for Motorhomes for us is a great club to be in, excellent informative forums, good banter and helpful members; I just hope it does not drift away from its title.

We've never been CC members, but have joined C&CC twice, both times we only stayed a member for a year and found we didn't use it enough to warrant the membership cost.
I also prefer more relaxed sites and found the sites a bit too "prim n proper" for us.

When we first started motorhoming twenty years ago we joined the Caravan Club and the Camping and Caravan Club. After visiting the Great Dorset Steam Fair four of us, two vans, decided to go to Brixham,I did the phone booking, I told the receptionist we would like four days, the first thing she asked was how many wheels had the van got, I did a quick count and said well it has two at the front and four at the back, she said she would have to give us a super pitch as I would get stuck on the grass apparently a car and caravan wouldn’t, so we duly parked on the super pitch and put the awning up, down she came and said that would be another three pounds, by now I thought this is getting complicated, away she went, my friend returned from taking his dog for a walk and down she came again a dog was another three pounds, by now our super pitch with sea view was enshrouded in mist and I was thinking have we done right in buying a motorhome,this was the first and last time we ever stayed at a club site. During our short stay I realised what a regulated group of people these carravaners were they did not seem self thinking people and we soon realised the motor home was the right decision the Clubs were not .On travelling around for a while it became apparent that Club Members had been indoctrinated with Club rules and that those rules applied everywhere which of course they don’t. All too often I have seen Club members trying to enforce their petty rules where the simply don’t apply so I am always very wary if one appears with the dreaded sticker (to me) on the windscreen.
My latest altercation with a Club member was last year in Northern Spain when we drove onto an area by the beach where there were a few motorhomes parked of foreign registration the owners were windsurfing, on entering the area there was a huge sign in English saying no overnight stop for camping cars, adjacent to the area there was a campsite, I asked an English speaking German what was the situation for parking overnight he said no problem the police drive round twice a day without any challenge, we stayed a couple of nights and then Mr clubman arrives we had a bit of chat and he asked me about parking so I repeated what I had been told, he then to my amazement said I will ask the police when they come round if it is alright to stay overnight, I said like f--- you will if you are not happy go into the campsite, do you expect them to say yes when it clearly states you cannot, would you ask a traffic warden in the UK if you could park on double yellow lines !! thankfully he went away otherwise we may have all been asked to move on.
Wild camping for Motorhomes for us is a great club to be in, excellent informative forums, good banter and helpful members; I just hope it does not drift away from its title.

I think there are several factors to take in account, The CC and CCC are relatively large organisations both boast a significant membership, the larger an organisation becomes, there needs to be structure for it to function, which you and I may or may not agree with.

Phil has introduced structure to this site has membership has risen, it is a necessity and for what its worth the most laid back admin I have ever come across, How many posts do you see moderated my point ?

The size of the organisations give them clout and I dare say are consulted on camping orientated ideas put forward by government. That doesnt necessarily mean I agree with their decisions.

From the standpoint of an end user the CC at least, has a higher percentage of caravans than motorhomes, I would suggest that both groups of members do not nor want to engage in what we would call wild camping.

The notion is completely alien.

There is a good argument that the big two dont want to see wild camping purely upon commercial interest.

Wherever we park land belongs to somebody, if we are respectful dont leave a **** tip, then perhaps we are tolerated.

Sadly there are those that dont show respect, and more and more places are becoming off limits Whitby and Moggs Eye as an example.

it only takes one rotten apple to spoil the basket

Channa

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back