Caravan Club or Caravan and Camping Club Membership???

BabsW

Hey all, hope this is an ok topic to post in this section, couldn't really find one that this fitted into properly.

So, getting van on Friday this week :)dance:totally excited.. can't wait!!!:dance:) Thinking of joining one of the clubs - any recommendations as to which is better? I guess a factor would be the number of club sites available in the places I would visit. I live in Aberdeen (NE Scotland), therefore likely to be doing trips to Moray Coast, Highlands, West Coast, and the Scottish Islands. Also could be Tayside/Angus and possibly further South, but these would probably be less frequent.

Any recommendations would be welcome please?

Cheers!

There aren`t many of either up there but there are a few more Caravan Club ( CC ) sites than there are Camping and Caravanning Club ( C&CC ) sites.

Pros and cons for both as everyone has a different idea of what they want / need from a site.

We have been members of both.Just in Caravan club now.we rarely use the sites, but have insurance and book ferries with them
Both have advantages.Camping club have temporary holiday sites in places where not usually a site.Also over 55 discount..
Why not try one of them this year, then the other one next then make your mind up. Also I would recommend Brit stops where you stop at pubs,farm shops or visitor centres for no charge.Look them up on internet.

We have been members of both.Just in Caravan club now.we rarely use the sites, but have insurance and book ferries with them
Both have advantages.Camping club have temporary holiday sites in places where not usually a site.Also over 55 discount..
Why not try one of them this year, then the other one next then make your mind up. Also I would recommend Brit stops where you stop at pubs,farm shops or visitor centres for no charge.Look them up on internet.

The Age Concession Rate ( ACR ) went from 55 up to 60 for new members last year :sad:

Hey all, hope this is an ok topic to post in this section, couldn't really find one that this fitted into properly.

So, getting van on Friday this week :)dance:totally excited.. can't wait!!!:dance:) Thinking of joining one of the clubs - any recommendations as to which is better? I guess a factor would be the number of club sites available in the places I would visit. I live in Aberdeen (NE Scotland), therefore likely to be doing trips to Moray Coast, Highlands, West Coast, and the Scottish Islands. Also could be Tayside/Angus and possibly further South, but these would probably be less frequent.

Cheers!

I can't see what you're doing on a wild camping forum mentioning clubs & sites.
You would get better info on outandaboutlive, a forum which is allied to MMM magazine, which is full of articles on wretched sites & clubs.

You would get better info on outandaboutlive, a forum which is allied to MMM magazine, which is full of articles on wretched sites & clubs.

I think you may find that a high percentage of members actually use sites.
Perhaps admin could start a survey, who uses sites and what type. Club sites, CL's, etc etc.

Hard to advise re CC or C&CC, particularly as you're already a member of the best: WC. :D

I've been a member of the C&CC for 25 years and used to use the club sites when a tugger.
Now with the motorhome I only use CS sites especially when visiting the lakes which is usually every 2 weeks.
Only 5 units allowed which means they are usually quiet and most have ehu, toilets and showers. I use one near Penrith which is only £10.00 per night.

I've joined both. As an old f**t I get a discount on C&CC sites but prefer the CC Certificated Locations. I feel the CC Sites are a little too refined for the likes of me and my old van, but I do enjoy watching the happy campers trotting down to the ablutions in the jimjams and dressing gowns with the spongebag under the arm

Thanks Spigot, I plan on doing both. Why limit yourself to one variety of camping? As you can see by some of the responses, quite a few people do both.

Thanks folks, will see how i get on and make a decision down the line a bit.

Ive been in both , but there more wild I get , and the smaller my van gets ,the less attractive either seem. I stopped the Caravan Club few years back., I was sitting there on a site surrounded by spotless white caravans , wondering why I was there at all , the atmosphere gets more like a gulag every time too.I used to go running for a site as soon as the loo filled up or I needed water , now here I am in a car park nr Newcastle , water ran out yesterday but some will turn up tomorrow. I just can't bring myself to go to a site and pay 15 or 20 quid for a tank of H2o ?

Mind you for a beginner to a motorhome I would probably advise it , get used to your van and van living without having to worry about batteries,water , loos etc.

I always preferred the C&CC , and am still a member it's good for insurance. and I will always keep it going , illness or a technical failure a site can be very welcome.

Cheers!

You need to try Camping and Caravanning Club District Assoc. meet, loads cheaper than any club sites. The differnce is that you have to book meets with the Caravan Club and CCC meets you just turn up. All club sites req. booking.
Cheers
PatJ

You need to try Camping and Caravanning Club District Assoc. meet, loads cheaper than any club sites. The differnce is that you have to book meets with the Caravan Club and CCC meets you just turn up. All club sites req. booking.
Cheers
PatJ

That is incorrect, we just turn up at 99.99% of sites and i can`t remember the last time we was denied a pitch.

We set off with half a plan and that very often changes as they day progresses so that why we don`t normally pre-book.

We only ever pre-book 2 sites in order to guarantee a pitch, they are the Abbey Wood CC site and the Crystal Palace CC site which are both in London.

Our son lives and works down there so it`s imperative that we get on one of the sites.

They are normally fully booked and over 50% of the vehicles on site are tourists in foreign motorhomes and caravans who are visiting London.

The only other ones that normally need booking to be on the safe side are the ones that are near major attractions in high season, school holidays and some weekends.

The CC do not require a deposit if you pre-book online or over the phone but if you do book they then require 72 hours notice to cancel otherwise there are penalties imposed.

The C&CC require a non-refundable deposit of £25 if you pre-book online or over the phone so cancelling becomes awkward.

We are members of both,just in case we need a stopover on a C/L or C/S and have to fill/empty tanks and wc,there is usually one nearby so no need to pay for a night on a club site which can be expensive in peak season when there is no age concession.

I also think that the majority of members on here do a combination of wilding and using sites,we fit into that category.The overnight pub stops is also an excellent way of touring,no need to join Britstops if you download the pub stops database and for the price of a couple of meals you get a good safe stopover.

At heart I'm a lazy b*gger and refuse to run back and forwards from some graveyard tap and the van with a watering can or plastic canister and creep into a public toilet to furtively discharge my waste and so have developed a routine. Three days wilding followed by a night in a CL with electric, so my lady can dry her hair, and so on with a stop at a club site every 12 or 14 days to use the laundry. I know that this could have me drummed out of the Forum, but to be honest I think I would rather spend £12 to £15 a week and be able to get the table and BBQ once a week rather than spend my life hunting for a tap. Sometimes I'll stay two nights on a site if the weather is good and I fancy a lazy day.

At heart I'm a lazy b*gger and refuse to run back and forwards from some graveyard tap and the van with a watering can or plastic canister and creep into a public toilet to furtively discharge my waste and so have developed a routine. Three days wilding followed by a night in a CL with electric, so my lady can dry her hair, and so on with a stop at a club site every 12 or 14 days to use the laundry. I know that this could have me drummed out of the Forum, but to be honest I think I would rather spend £12 to £15 a week and be able to get the table and BBQ once a week rather than spend my life hunting for a tap. Sometimes I'll stay two nights on a site if the weather is good and I fancy a lazy day.

You're a rebel Sam - i like your style ;)

Mix it up

You're a rebel Sam - i like your style ;)

We mix it up too. It depends on where we are and the weather as to how much time we spend on sites or CLs (Caravan Club members) ... The lure of being able to BBQ is often strong. Places like Scotland and Ireland are fine for wilding and beach BBQs. Sometimes we just need to sit still.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back