can you please give a bit more detail ondata sims and wifi..unlimited wifi for 30euro

oldsid

can you please give a bit more detail regarding data sims and unlimited wifi for 30 euros ...is this a viable option for someone staying maybe a month or 2..thanks oldsid

If UK then get the unlimited 3 sim, I think £32 a month, put it in one of these Huawei E5577 Black 4G Low-cost Travel Wi-Fi, Super-Fast Portable Mobile Wi-Fi Hotspot - Long-lasting Battery: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

If you mean Portugal then search for a NOS shop on google maps (Loja Nos), go in and ask for Kangaru XL, give them 30 euros and stick it in the above device. Lasts 30 days, at which point you need to give them another 30 euros either in the nos shop, or paypoint shop (petrol stations, newsagents, etc).

Vodaphone - rolling contract data sim (requires 30 days notice to cancel) 50 gb £30 per month. You can use it all in Europe and also tether with it all downloads etc at 4 g.

3 mobile have improved their terms slightly in the past couple of weeks. PAYG sims can only use 12gb per month of no matter how much data you have.
If you have 3 on contract you now can use 15gb per month in relevant countries even if you have unlimited data contract. You can now use those allowances to tether or use as a personal hotspot. You don’t get 4g with 3 mobile so stuff is slower to download.

We’ve just spent 6 weeks in Spain and can’t fault the Vodaphone deal for watching uk tv. I have quite a good old deal with 3 mobile and am seriously thinking of changing to Vodaphone and I didn’t expect to be saying that a year or so ago.

Last edited:
Vodaphone - rolling contract data sim (requires 30 days notice to cancel) 50 gb £30 per month. You can use it all in Europe and also tether with it all downloads etc at 4 g.

3 mobile have improved their terms slightly in the past couple of weeks. PAYG sims can only use 12gb per month of no matter how much data you have.
If you have 3 on contract you now can use 15gb per month in relevant countries even if you have unlimited data contract. You can now use those allowances to tether or use as a personal hotspot. You don’t get 4g with 3 mobile so stuff is slower to download.

We’ve just spent 6 weeks in Spain and can’t fault the Vodaphone deal for watching uk tv. I have quite a good old deal with 3 mobile and am seriously thinking of changing to Vodaphone and I didn’t expect to be saying that a year or so ago.

Phone contract with 3 at moment also had mifi rolling contract last trip . Told 3 I was going to be using it in Spain etc they did not inform me I was limited to
13gb .
Thinking of getting new phone contract with vodafone [50gb?] and using that via tethering , chromecast etc for viewing . I watch maybe 6 football matches a month plus tv/netflix etc [more so in France as it shuts early] . Alternative would be less data contract plus mifi as and when I'm travelling ?
Any advice would be appreciated

Its worth looking at your current mobile phone contract as well. I just renegotiated mine with Vodafone in the summer and I think its now about twelve quid a month for unlimited calls and texts and 18gb of data which I Can use ALL of it abroad with no caps or limits on time for a trip. All I do is switch on mobile hotspot on my iPhone and away you go. 18gb is a fair chunk for general usage although I wouldnt stream on it all day long so no real need for a mifi unit or a separate sim.

From what I Can gather from my research last year many providers limit or cap your roaming data allowance to less than what it is in the Uk and most will only allow you to roam for a couple of months in one go, Vodafone it seems do neither.

Its worth looking at your current mobile phone contract as well. I just renegotiated mine with Vodafone in the summer and I think its now about twelve quid a month for unlimited calls and texts and 18gb of data which I Can use ALL of it abroad with no caps or limits on time for a trip. All I do is switch on mobile hotspot on my iPhone and away you go. 18gb is a fair chunk for general usage although I wouldnt stream on it all day long so no real need for a mifi unit or a separate sim.

From what I Can gather from my research last year many providers limit or cap your roaming data allowance to less than what it is in the Uk and most will only allow you to roam for a couple of months in one go, Vodafone it seems do neither.

You are , as far as I can see , correct Barry . Pity 3 don't tell you that . Made several calls to customer services when my mifi stopped working , final (6th ?) person told me data was limited .
Vodafone seems the answer , until B day anyway

We used all the 50gb - Johns the addict - watched all the F1 and MGP races plus kept up with soaps, Strictly and one or two more things. You can set it so you don’t go over the 50 gb.

We used all the 50gb - Johns the addict - watched all the F1 and MGP races plus kept up with soaps, Strictly and one or two more things. You can set it so you don’t go over the 50 gb.
50gb in a month ?
Think I'll get less on my contract and augment it with wifi whilst travelling . Bit of trial and error needed I think

It depends what you want to do with WiFi.

We wanted to know how far it would go. OH was pleased.
We used to go to cafes McDonalds etc and use free WiFi to download but by the time you’ve had a coffee or 3, it’s surprising how quickly that adds up - plus it was getting more difficult to bypass security using a VPN. We were able to watch BBC straight on with the Vodaphone data sim, which we couldn’t do last time just using 3 mobile and VPN.

You can get a smaller amount data sim than 50 gb.

I don’t know anything about Portugal sims but we have only ever bought a local sim in Spain and it was absolute rubbish- seemed too good to be true and it was.

Last edited:
It depends what you want to do with WiFi.

We wanted to know how far it would go. OH was pleased.
We used to go to cafes McDonalds etc and use free WiFi to download but by the time you’ve had a coffee or 3, it’s surprising how quickly that adds up - plus it was getting more difficult to bypass security using a VPN. We were able to watch BBC straight on with the Vodaphone data sim, which we couldn’t do last time just using 3 mobile and VPN.

You can get a smaller amount data sim than 50 gb.

I don’t know anything about Portugal sims but we have only ever bought a local sim in Spain and it was absolute rubbish- seemed too good to be true and it was.

I bought 2 pay as you go sim cards from a vodafone shop in Portugal yesterday.30Gb and 15 euros each,I'm here for a month.They work well in the mifi unit,nice and fast,I did a speed test and got 30Mbps,easily fast enough for streaming.I now have my full TV package from home(except BBC)via the Sky go app on my laptop which is connected to the TV with a HDMI cable.The BBC are a bit obstructive with their much vaunted Iplayer and seem to be more proactive in negating foreign IP addresses recently but I have found a VPN that works perfectly over here so the boss will never miss an episode of eastenders.Looking forward to watching United v PSG in the champions league tomorrow.

Voda SIMs Portugal

I bought 2 pay as you go sim cards from a vodafone shop in Portugal yesterday.30Gb and 15 euros each,I'm here for a month.They work well in the mifi unit,nice and fast,I did a speed test and got 30Mbps,easily fast enough for streaming.I now have my full TV package from home(except BBC)via the Sky go app on my laptop which is connected to the TV with a HDMI cable.The BBC are a bit obstructive with their much vaunted Iplayer and seem to be more proactive in negating foreign IP addresses recently but I have found a VPN that works perfectly over here so the boss will never miss an episode of eastenders.Looking forward to watching United v PSG in the champions league tomorrow.

My neighbour on-site here in Portugal has just mentioned the Vodaphone sim for TV streaming, it does seem very cheap for a healthy amount of data. She said to go direct to a Vodaphone shop for the deal, don't bother with multi-sim dealers because they may not give you this deal. It's 30 gigs for 15 days - perfect if you are not here for long and want to watch TV.

My neighbour on-site here in Portugal has just mentioned the Vodaphone sim for TV streaming, it does seem very cheap for a healthy amount of data. She said to go direct to a Vodaphone shop for the deal, don't bother with multi-sim dealers because they may not give you this deal. It's 30 gigs for 15 days - perfect if you are not here for long and want to watch TV.

NOS same price but unlimited.

The Vodafone one in Portugal gives you 30gb which lasts 30 days if you pay 30euros or 15 days if you pay 15 euros. The NOS is good if there is a signal , unfortunately, for us there is no signal ( central Portugal) so have no option! Vodafone don't seem to do an affordable unlimited in UK yet.

My Vodaphone contract including an S9 phone is £38 a month for 100gb. I have not tried it abroad yet as I only started it in November. The SIM only ones seem to be working ok for iplayer. Has anyone used the Vodaphone phone for iplayer, UKtv, All4 etc abroad?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back