Can you light a fridge externally??

theteapackets

We've had problems with the electrics on the fridge - first the 12v stopped working, then while trying to fix that the gas ignitor has stopped working too!

We're going away for a few days and (leaving things till the last minute ... as usual!) wondered if you can light the fridge externally?

It's a Hymer B584 1996.

many thanks ..... and :cheers: Happy Christmas :cheers:

Another look at your thread got me thinking, I had a problem with 12v ceased working on my fridge, I checked the usual stuff, fuses etc, which were ok, I reckon my problem was at top end of fridge, which is immediately below gas hob (94 dethleffs LHD) Last year something shorted out, causing a fire, lots of acrid smoke and, as we were parked up, fire was dealt with promptly.

Please don't think my post is to alarm you, it is purely to warn you, if you can pull a fuse, do so, better safe than sorry!!

hi there
yes you can light externaly but you will need a second person to hold the gas on until the thermo coupling comes into play;you will to need to take the fridge out to clean out pilot light and surrounding area sooner than later
toystory

Thanks to everyone who took the trouble to reply - is this the best use of your time on Christmas Eve? :)
I've taken the hob out to check the wiring on the top of the fridge (is that the best use of mine?! :)) and all seems to be in order. Nothing loose/frayed. Big green 240v switch lights up OK and fridge works on that, but no 12v and no power to the sparking switch on the right hand side of the fridge. (Electrolux 4401)

I also took the cover off the burner/flue outside. That's all clean and tidy but I'm not going to attempt to light it directly there. Is there another fuse for the 12v feed that I can't see

I had the same problem a while back.

In my case there are fuses in proximity to the two relays under the bonnet that control the split charge and 12v supply to the fridge.

I found that one fuse had corroded contacts and this prevented the fridge from igniting.

Try a temporary 12volt supply to the sparking switch you will only need a 12v positive, this will prove if the fridge is ok you could even leave it working over the trip

Alf
Thanks to everyone who took the trouble to reply - is this the best use of yo tur time on Christmas Eve? :)
I've taken the hob out to check the wiring on the top of the fridge (is that the best use of mine?! :)) and all seems to be in order. Nothing loose/frayed. Big green 240v switch lights up OK and fridge works on that, but no 12v and no power to the sparking switch on the right hand side of the fridge. (Electrolux 4401)

I also took the cover off the burner/flue outside. That's all clean and tidy but I'm not going to attempt to light it directly there. Is there another fuse for the 12v feed that I can't see

Thanks again to all the respondants. I'm away now for just a few days - I'll have to rough it with a polystyrene box with a couple of freezer blocks in it. Next week (next year!) I'll run a new wire, and if that doesn't show any favourable signs, I'll get a piezo for it. Thanks again :)
Happy New Year to all......

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back