Can I use gas on the move?

Flue

Hello.
Possibly there are different flu designs for travelling with the gas on but
most modern campervans have 3 way devices enabling appliances to be used on 12v while travelling....
Surely this is much safer....

British vans don't even let you use the hab lights when travelling I hear, guess it's just an anal British mindset thing that's unfortunately taking peoples minds over.

Kids have less immunity now because of this mass paranoia that has been seeded in British minds.

So, back to my original query, even if it is safe to do so, what is the advantage to running your fridge on gas whilst travelling as opposed to running it on 12 volts. :confused: It can't be a cost thing as, at least here in the UK, my local Calor dealer charges £20 per exchange for a 6kg propane. :eek: At that price I'll put up with the supposed power losses ( negligible I would think ), from having my fridge powered by 12 volts from the alternator. Especially as you can't run the engine without the alternator running as well. :rolleyes:

Basically, why waste your gas when you have a perfectly good alternative power source to keep your fridge chilled while you're travelling!!

the reg swallows quite a bit of power .if your batteries are full the reg stops powering and as the load is taken off the power is not used from the engine its possibly 3-5 bhp. thats why drag racers remove the belt just before racing . but slip it back on with the engine running specially on the air cooled motors. . but some fridges dont use 12v is the reason. or the draw from them is not allowing the leisure battery to be charged. the new 3way fridges dont require you to turn off the gas . as they are power sensitive. many of us dont pay calor 20quid for6kg anyway . should be about 7 if you use your head a bit. also manyearly fridges ran full blast on 12v freezing many things you didnt want frozen. and you can run with out an alternator . not advised and not always on newer vehicles. hope that answers your questions. have fun we do .cheers alan.

You're right Alan, £20 for 6 kg.:confused::rolleyes: >£16 for 13 kg's what I pay.

I recently asked the same question on another forum the reason being I was surprised to see that gas Propex Heaters being advertised as being able to be used whilst driving.
The answer was Yes.
I must admit I was slightly surprised as I have always (when we remember) turned things off but on the odd occasion we have left the fridge/freezer on gas have suffered no problem. We have a 100ltr under-slung tank with one of the new cut-off regulators.

Hi All,
Just been on to the pro's and it seems that my worry about liquid reaching the flame was wrong and it should not get past the regulator however they recommend that you drive with the gas off in case you damage a pipe or cylinder in an accident and get a massive release of gas. Petrol and diesel "tends" to stay in the tank but if your motor runs on gas - well? The answer seems to be that if you at all worried turn it off but above all drive carefully

hi tbear , get an automatic shut off valve .if a pipe fractures or leaks once the gas as no resistance the valve shuts off. should be compulsory i think in all applications . trouble is many domt understand the principles of how things work so scream danger as a way round thinking. .
imagine being a proffessor now .you have invented a way to transport people around. it travels at speeds of 150ml an hour poisons the air we breath .kills thousands every year by accident. costs alot of hard earned cash. rusts away after 10yr. do you think you would make a fortune.? its a car. governments wouldnt allow it today.
cheers alan.

Alan
Don,t mind a bit of danger as long as I understand what the risk is and I can make an informed decision on if its worth it, "Just cos he got away we it" never cut it for me. Good tip about the shut off valve, makes a lot of sense. Not sure how I will fit one? Will it go on the cylinder before regulator or is it reg-pipe-valve-pipe-fridge.

There are disadvantages running on 12V.

Probably doesn't matter too much in Britain but often the fridge does not cool very well on 12V compared to gas or mains. Reason is often excessive voltage drop.

!2V operation often has no thermostat so draws current all the time.

Current draw can range from 7 Amps to nearly 15A so if you don't have appropriate devices to disconnect it from the battery when the engine isn't running, you will end up with a flat battery

I drive a Holdsworth van conversion and never had a flat battery but never seems to work as well on 12v as on gas or 240v. I was warned about this by the dealership when I bought it. Its ok if you pre chill it but it will not make ice even after a couple of hundred miles so little better than a cold box. Had it checked out and it is functional just not that good on 12v.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back