Can I use gas on the move?

theteapackets

Hello, I've looked through the scanty photocopied manual that came with our 95 Hymer B554, but can't find anything to say whether or not you can run the fridge on gas or have the water heater/not air on while running along.

Could anybody tell me?

Many thanks in advance :¬)

We have run our Hot Water while travelling without a problem. We have two heaters front and back and have run both of them as well in very cold conditions. The engine heating is frankly not up to the job as it was only designed to heat a truck cab not a body the size of a Motorhome. It is not necessary to run the fridge on gas while moving as you can run it on 12v safely.

This running of live gas is not recommended and you will need to ensure you turn them all off before going into filling stations. Truma make a regulator designed to be used on the road live.

Our gas tank automatically cuts of the gas if there is a flow of gas more than is normal such as in an accident or pipe break.

John

hi, if you google BES they list automatic shut off valves .item12083 page 54 in their catalogue. not cheap at 50.75 but can give peice of mind. possibly the most safetey bit of kit you could buy for your van.
cheers alan.

The truma hot water/hot air system has fan forced combustion and is specifically designed to operate while on the move. Others are too. Fridges, depending on the vent design are also often operated while on the move. Each specific appliance should detail any restrictions against operating on the move, but regardless of that, you should make your own mind up on the basis of official information available and your interpretation of the benefits and risks involved.

As one member has pointed out, you must turn off all gas appliances BEFORE entering a refuelling station (not after you arrive) and this requirement alone - considering the ramifications of forgetting to turn off the gas - may be enough to convince you it may not be a good idea

hi, does leave a thought that in the petrol engine sparks are going all the time in the alternator ,starter ,dist cap etc every switch can make a spark. so is leaving the gas on that much of a problem really. personaly i think its over reacting. but then i used to run with my fridge on gas all the time .what about the gas fridges that are only gas .who stops to turn the gas off then. cheers alan

Not sure its the sparks from the engine thats the problem, more the fact that the Lpg will slosh about in the tank when you are moving so theres a chance of getting lpg in its liquid form reaching the flame in the fridge.

All this of course pre-supposes that the vehicle itself is not running on LPG. Which would present some difficulty in (say) driving into a petrol station. Or indeed on to a ferry, I assume that ferry operators have a policy on gas being carried/used in a vehicle. I guess that the criteria would be whether a naked flame is involved.

In the marine sector, where gas is a potential bomb, because once it sinks, it cannot escape, unlike a caravan or MH application, some work was done under the Boat Safety Scheme to encase the flame so it cannot ignite anything else.

All this of course pre-supposes that the vehicle itself is not running on LPG. Which would present some difficulty in (say) driving into a petrol station. Or indeed on to a ferry, I assume that ferry operators have a policy on gas being carried/used in a vehicle. I guess that the criteria would be whether a naked flame is involved.

In the marine sector, where gas is a potential bomb, because once it sinks, it cannot escape, unlike a caravan or MH application, some work was done under the Boat Safety Scheme to encase the flame so it cannot ignite anything else.

If the vehicle is running on LPG it takes from the bottom of the tank as the engine runs on liquid lpg. Your fridge and cooker run on gaseous lpg. If liquid lpg comes of the fridge flame it will expand several thousand times, ignite and expand a lot more. Not just a potential bomb but a real one in the confines of a motor home or a boat. Don't think you will sink more a flying lesson to begin with.

i have left home and been on travels for 6mnths only turning the fridge and gas off when changing bottles ,. never had it blow out ever. i thought that the mention of turning the fridge off to enter a garage was meant to mean you could start a fire. . but i think there are enough sparks on a conventional petrol engine to not cause me to worry. as for it sloshing around . some yanks only have gas fridges ,you have to drive with it on or no fridge. cheers alan.

Last edited:
Yes Alan I confess I have driven with it on when I thought the other half had turned it off and she thought I had and it was over uneven ground, also how many people have just moved a few feet with it on? So there must be some slack in the system to let it expand or a valve to prevent liquid from getting through but I worry about pushing my luck until I am sure of my safety facts. What happened to that burnt out van pictured on this site a little while ago? If I am scare mongering I am very sorry but if in doubt turn it off!

then get an automatic shut off valve .i think they should be made compulsory in any application. even at home . makes sense. but as been said some appliances are to be left on. even your new style 3 way fridges are automaticaly controled . you dont have to turn them off or do you . dont think mines been turned off except to change a bottle in the last 10 yr.
cheers alan.

I agree that there should be safety of some type but which one and under what conditions will they work? I have no idea

When I first started caravanning, (forty years ago now crikey!) it was common practice amongst our friends to leave the fridge running on gas when towing (!) Possibly because the vehicles of those days did not have the electrical power to adequately keep the fridge down to temperature. Remember we are talking about cars which had dynamos, not alternators as charging medium. I would never do such a thing now, nor would I justify what used to happen, I think we are all a bit more safety concious since those times.

Mind you when I think of other things we did, I sometimes wonder how we survived.

Silly question......if you can run the fridge on 12 volts when you're driving, why would you need to run it on gas. :confused:

At the price of gas nowadays I prefer to use mine only when we're stopped. :)

It is perfectly safe to run gas fridges and heaters on the move, only British manufacturers seem to have a problem with such things.

It is perfectly safe to run gas fridges and heaters on the move, only British manufacturers seem to have a problem with such things.

I can understand about wanting to keep the habitation part warm while you're travelling, especially if you have passengers on board, but again, if you can run your fridge on 12 volts for free why use your gas. :confused:

I'm surprised no motorhome manufacturer has yet come up with some type of heat exchanger that works off the vehicle exhaust system to heat the habitation part while you're travelling, or an extension of the vehicle cooling system.

12 volts is not free .you do lose engine power if the alternator is working. better just used to charge batteries. another reason is gas can be very cheap.at one time 3quid to ex in maroc. and electric power very hard to obtain. when i fitted solar panels i then changed to a compressor fridge. . before the only way i had to power the fridge was gas. i also did and still do use gas lights. try wild camping for 6 mnths at a time never using ehu. you need to think twice about using power. now i have plenty .use washing machines, spinners , food mixers etc all powered by solar. the only prob i had was in very hot climates the fridge stopped working if ambient temp over 32deg cel. that was the reason for going solar. but i cant see as running a fridge on a garage forecourt is a danger. if there was /is that much fuel vapour every time a spark from opening the door could be enough . only takes one spark. and before you open the door the dizzy as made thousands of sparks. so as the dynamo alternator.the vw transporter air cooled did have a heat exchanger system running from the exhaust. so did all the aircooled vw,s . but in cold climates they used the ebaspacher heater to give it real heat. you can still get heat exchanger systems to give hot water after a run . even extra radiators in the back . the trouble is where do you stop. each individual makes his choice. specially in a home build . most are far advanced over bought factory conversions . they get designed by people who dont use them. even the simple wood burner can supply a wet radiator system . not my way but works for many. cheers alan.

Last edited:

This is the same mind set that tells you, "to empty all of your tanks before leaving the site, and top them up when you arrive at your new site, to avoid the vehicle becoming unstable due to the contents moving about". 1950s tugger mentality.

I have driven since 1974 with live gas to fridges with no problem. I also used to leave the old Carver SB1800 running. Both of these devices have the flame encased.

My original reference to filling stations was for fire. Turn off your appliances before filling up. .
I once bought an OLD car and ran it for a while just putting in a couple of gallons at a time. I was going some distance one morning so I filled the tank to the top. While at the kiosk I noticed liquid flowing away from under the car. When I went out and looked the bottom of the tank had given way due to the extra weight. We put sand around the vehicle to stop the fuel spreading and going down the drain.

The garage did not stop other vehicles coming in and using the adjacent pumps, or the same pump on the other side. When the fire brigade arrived they just filled the tank with foam and pushed the car away. They scooped up the sand. The garage still continued as normal, so having a source of ignition from other vehicles and liquid or vapour petroleum around, didn't seem to faze the forecourt staff or the fire brigade.

John

No John this is the mindset from working on a burns ward for a couple of years

Good job it wasn't a cancer ward or you'd be scared to eat, drink or breathe without analysing everything first.lol

'Tis being lighthearted peeps before you get too het up.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back