campsite rip offs

walkers

just got back from 2 weeks staying in 4 campsites, am absolutely stunned at the extra cash they extract from you for the silliest things.
DOGS : one site took £3 per night per dog for 4 nights, what was providedd for the dogs ? 1 dog poo bin on the whole site, after paying that much i was sorely tempted to let them pick it up.
AWNINGS : whats this with charging for an awning, you get the same size pitch as anyone else why do you pay extra?
TRAILERS: you have to pay for a trailer? does a tailwagger pay for his towcar ? no so why do we pay for a trailer

PREMIER PITCH: this ones a real laugh, you get a hole in the ground for your waste water, guess what? it's nowhere near your waste tank so you end up draining into a container and emptying it like everyone else
ENTERTAINMENT: prize bingo, 2 line prizes and one full house pound a time or a fiver for 6. the prizes a table full of cheap tacky kiddies toys only three get won the takings i estimated at £5 per table 40 tables £200 their outlay on prizes only a couple of quid.
oh and lets not forget the puddle on the corner that every toddler on site had to play in and make as much noise as possible all day everyday cos there was no damn drainage on the road to take it away, well at least that one was thrown in for free
and they wonder why we all want to wildcamp, it's made me more determined to do so. anyone else with similar experiences?
should we start naming and shaming these con artists that call themselves campsites?

hi walkers...sorry you had a bad time on a campsite,i dont like sites too much because of the reasons you mentioned...but its not always possible to wild it..unfortunately..:(
hope you have better luck next time sammx

sammclouis said:
hi walkers...sorry you had a bad time on a campsite,i dont like sites too much because of the reasons you mentioned...but its not always possible to wild it..unfortunately..:(
hope you have better luck next time sammx
we had a great holiday :D just was amazed by how much sites rip you off, £3 for a dog and what do they do for dogs my 2 are only little and as we clean up after them leave no mess it seems to me they try to squeeze as much money out of you as possible.

the reason i like to wildcamp walkers!!:D
they shouldnt charge for dogs 'n' little extra's that dont really warrant it..they (not all though) are trying to squeeze every last penny....we went to meet up with our caravan friends a few months ago a few miles from barmouth...the site is called murmur-yr-afon,well last year when we visited it cost us £12.50 a night...its a pretty but basic site it does have toilets 'n' showers (a fair walk away) but nothing else...so we just turned up this time to surprise our mates!!! the site was so quiet & the guy came up to see us for the £....well i almost fell of my chair when he said £19.75!!:eek: :eek:
what would warrant £19.75......good job we only stayed the sat night!!!!
we will never use his site again.....what a rip off...:(
glad you had a great hol though....samm x

I spend quite a bit away up the lakes and yorkshire dales so know quite a few good sites(6 squid or under)and ones to stay away from
but as a rule its a rip off over here
only use sites when I nead a shower :)
when i camp up the lakes(around langdale little langdale or wrynose
I drive down to the NTcamp site at langdale and use there showers shhhhhhhh ;)
coz they have the cheek to charge folk allmost 8 quid a nite to park on there car park

rip off campsite?

walkers said:
just got back from 2 weeks staying in 4 campsites, am absolutely stunned at the extra cash they extract from you for the silliest things.?
I would be happy to name and shame if I could remember the name , but a large campsite in Charmouth were I spent the weekend (i was forced to, honestly!) for a footbal club event, charged £17.00 per night, out of season, (I'm told it's £26.00 high season). Advertised in their blurb is the lovely indoor heated swimming pool,:D not advertised in their blurb is the £1.00 charge for each person,:mad: including children for each visit to the pool, this visit is restricted to 1 hour during busy times so many kids want to visit twice or even three times a day. I don't spend much time on this type of site so I don't know if this type of rip off is normal.

kell said:
I would be happy to name and shame if I could remember the name , but a large campsite in Charmouth were I spent the weekend (i was forced to, honestly!) for a footbal club event, charged £17.00 per night, out of season, (I'm told it's £26.00 high season). Advertised in their blurb is the lovely indoor heated swimming pool,:D not advertised in their blurb is the £1.00 charge for each person,:mad: including children for each visit to the pool, this visit is restricted to 1 hour during busy times so many kids want to visit twice or even three times a day. I don't spend much time on this type of site so I don't know if this type of rip off is normal.
been charged as much as £3.50 per night for this little friend

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n244/ayrtech/Picture005.jpg

kell said:
we got charged 23 pound a nte down in cornwall , that was before i got the van , the site had it's own bar and games etc. but it was a noisy hole ..

Last edited:
sammclouis said:
AAAHHHHH sooooooo cute........you should have hid him in ya pocket...sooo cute;)

It's a her and she's got attitude too he he
the one's who charge are welcome to a stroke ha ha:eek:

merlin wanderer said:
It's a her and she's got attitude too he he
the one's who charge are welcome to a stroke ha ha:eek:
she's sooooo sweet.....ahhh im so soppy i love her....bring her if we ever meet up,my gran 'n' grandad used to own 3 & my unc used to breed them...she would prob eat my millie alive..hhee hhee,:D

merlin wanderer said:
she's the toy breed smaller than a skinny cat he he:cool:
her names Buffy yip after the vampire slayer
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n244/ayrtech/Picture001.jpg
well you got me beat there, £3.50 is disgusting, i hope they followed her round and picked up after her. she is cute smaller than my miniature dachshunds. but i think i have this thing sussed, don't tell em we have dogs after all are they gonna come round and check. seems some of em don't check much at all not even how close tents are together.

dear sites

I don't object to staying on a site with good reasonably priced facilities, but like the rest of you I don't like being ripped off, and I've said so to the occasional campsite owner. (merlin wanderer and I have boxed in the same streets!!)

Rip-off Camp sites

To all the people who have commented on these sites.
Is it illegal to name and shame them, because I for one would like to know where they are so I can give them a wide berth. (no pun intended).
I do not have a Motorhome yet, but the more I read about the cost of what these sites are starting to charge makes me think twice about whether it is worth buying one.
I can see me wild camping only if I purchase a Motorhome.

New Rover said:
To all the people who have commented on these sites.
Is it illegal to name and shame them, because I for one would like to know where they are so I can give them a wide berth. (no pun intended).
I do not have a Motorhome yet, but the more I read about the cost of what these sites are starting to charge makes me think twice about whether it is worth buying one.
I can see me wild camping only if I purchase a Motorhome.

hi newrover. dont let the site prices put you off buying. the posts on this thread are pointing out the ripoff prices that a few sites extort out of you.:eek:
there are many more private sites for £5-£10 per pitch per night with water, waste, toilets and hookup (usually a pound or two extra). hookup prices are a ripoff unless you run a fan heater, aircon, domestic kettle ect to get your money's worth.;) i think most of the posts are pointing the finger of greed at a few 'bigger' sites.
if we take our dogs they eat food we bring, sleep in the van, they drink water from the onboard tank and they sh*t on the dogwalk which is picked up. sooooo the £1.50 per night or whatever is to provide a bin for dogsh*t.:confused: drop the charge and i'll drop it in the thetford til empty time, after all its the same stuff we put in it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D
john.

camp site ripoffs

I know this is a wildcamping group but there are times when a site has to be used, I have this year done something I swore I would never do and joined the camping & caravan club, I wont use it in the high season but it is quite reasonable in mid and low season and as the no overnight camping signs seem to appear like a disease all across the country this is now becoming something that becoming necessary,
rod

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back