Cameras at Spanish Stop signs and merge junctions

Well don’t drive through a STOP sign then!

The merging white line cameras are the ones more likely to catch us especially when filtering into traffic on ring roads. It’s all about gap timing and managing speed and sometimes if you don’t attempt to filter until the broken line you have to slow down and then you become a hazard as you then have to move over into faster moving traffic.

But useful info so thank you for posting.

This is one of the Spanish regs that causes a lot of us brits problems. We are taught in driving lessons to approach give way lines slowly and glide into first gear and proceed if clear. When we first bought our rural property out there, came across several junctions where there is a filter to turn across the carriageway with a halt sign at the end. Even if you can see there is no traffic approaching, still stop. You never know who is watching. Become second nature now. (y)

I was a driving instructor for a few years back in the late seventies. Pupils were taught that at a stop sign they needed to stop, apply the handbrake and, if necessary, engage neutral. If it was a give way, then approach slow down and if feasible turn onto the main road. If the main road was busy, then, handbrake and possibly neutral.

Problem was, at my local test centre, there were two examiners. One would criticise a student for unnecessarily stopping at a give way sign. The other, who always looked nervous, expected pupils to stop momentarily, so it was necessary to brief students when the examiner appeared and called the name of the person taking the test to tell them which course of action should be followed.

I also count to three at stop signs especially when in France. It is a practice which also has the potential to avoid an accident with a cyclist or motorcyclist since you have more time to notice movement.

I find the current practice at traffic lights of drivers sitting on their footbrake with the glare of rear lights frustrating.

Davy

I would note that in UK, if it's a 'stop sign' you are supposed to stop, just the same as Spain.

Yes, I didn't know that Colin until a couple of years ago when I did my motorcycle test.

The test route (through Stotfold) includes a couple of Stop signs so I had to make sure I did, natural instinct is to just ride through if no traffic.

I was a driving instructor for a few years back in the late seventies. Pupils were taught that at a stop sign they needed to stop, apply the handbrake and, if necessary, engage neutral. If it was a give way, then approach slow down and if feasible turn onto the main road. If the main road was busy, then, handbrake and possibly neutral.

Problem was, at my local test centre, there were two examiners. One would criticise a student for unnecessarily stopping at a give way sign. The other, who always looked nervous, expected pupils to stop momentarily, so it was necessary to brief students when the examiner appeared and called the name of the person taking the test to tell them which course of action should be followed.

I also count to three at stop signs especially when in France. It is a practice which also has the potential to avoid an accident with a cyclist or motorcyclist since you have more time to notice movement.

I find the current practice at traffic lights of drivers sitting on their footbrake with the glare of rear lights frustrating.

Davy
You mean the ones who actually stop when there is a red light? :ROFLMAO:

We could cure the National Debt and fund the NHS if cameras were positioned at every light controlled juunction in the UK. It would probably take less than 6 months to happen. :giggle:

My old man got 3 points for not stopping at a stop line, late 70's when I started to have lessons. Never forgot, to at least check there weren't any coppers around if I didn't intend to stop. :p :ROFLMAO:

Davy

That's a very good habit to adopt.
The thickness and shape of modern A pillars, plus wing mirrors creates a huge blind spot.

I would note that in UK, if it's a 'stop sign' you are supposed to stop, just the same as Spain.
Yep. Totally agree. They are few and far between these days but just so happens we have one, onto the A5.

I used to moan about people sitting on their brakes.
UNTIL I got my latest car, an automatic Toyota.

I can sit with my foot on the brake and Drive engaged OR I can move the selector through N, R, to P and do the opposite when I'm ready to move off. That may confuse the person behind, as my reversing lights suddenly come on! Also, it takes time to be able to get going, causing delays and frustration.
So on the whole I remain with my foot on the brake UNLESS I "know" the lights in which case I go into Park until I believe there will be a green light in my direction within the next few seconds.

[I also moan about people who pull out to overtake long before they are approaching the vehicle in front BUT I now know that "addaptive cruise control" spots something up to 100 metres ahead and slows me down to prevent a collision: so out I go. It will also slam the brakes on if a car crosses in front of me or a vehicle decides to turn off and slows down. Isn't technology wonderful!]

Gordon

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back