Calais break-ins

voxol51

Hi all,
Just had a phone call from Bertie (Starblazer..... or schoolblazer to you Sam) to say he has become a victim of a break in last night on an aire near Calais. French Police say there have been a spate of attacks on Brit motorhomes around the Calais area. Entry is made silently by cutting the rubber around the cab quaterlight window.
Bertie also says changes have been made to the road system in Calais docks preventing motorhomes from parking overnight in the dock area.

Voxy.

voxol51 said:
Hi all,
Just had a phone call from Bertie (Starblazer..... or schoolblazer to you Sam) to say he has become a victim of a break in last night on an aire near Calais. French Police say there have been a spate of attacks on Brit motorhomes around the Calais area. Entry is made silently by cutting the rubber around the cab quaterlight window.
Bertie also says changes have been made to the road system in Calais docks preventing motorhomes from parking overnight in the dock area.

Voxy.
Hi Voxol51. Sorry to hear about Starblazer, I do hope that the baddies did not get much and that Starblazer is ok.
I have heard of this type of break in before and many years ago, I had a truck broken into by the same procedure in Spain.
Thought I would let folks know that a company called Sleep-C-Cure, www.Sleep-C-Cure.co.uk and they produce and sell a lock that fits over pull buttons on the door. The only downside is that these will not fit the later Ducato. They fit up to the 51 reg (approx)
We had these on our old van and you can fit a pad locks to these locks for added security. Even if they break a window, they could not open the door.
We always felt that the cab doors were pretty safe and we tried to leave a gap when fitting the silver screens so as to make them a visible deterrent.
We paid £34.95 inc p & p & Vat in 2004. I will be selling these but I will offer Sammclouis first refusal.
I now have the newer cab and I am on the look out for something similar. If anyone knows of any such item, I would very much appreciate some information.
Regards Graham

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone
Sorry to hear about your break in and I hope the naughty people who did this have some horrible itch in a private part.

I bought these patio door locks from Wilkinson at about £1.80 each.

security1.jpg

security2.jpg

Hope I never need to test these out but seem to be solid enough to stop most lowlife.

voxol51 said:
Hi all,

Voxy.
oh dear voxy....sorry to hear about starblazers trouble.....please pass on my best wishes & that i hope he is ok...sammx

hi thanks for the concern. we are both ok and back on the road now, repairs to electronic system cost €2000 as all locks, transponders etc had to be changed. as voxy said entry was via the 1/4 light window which was kindly left close by so that only the rubber surround was needed. most of our money and all of the credit cards went along with lots of other useful stuff as well as sentimental items but at least no-one was hurt. the person responsible must have been really tiny as the swivel seats were swivelled against the doors so only leaving a small gap for them to get through. currently on the aire at Caudry, not a lot here, only parking and water, not even a toilet dump but it's free. tried to change the ferry booking to come home early but can only be paid for with a credit card and until i find the towrag that has my wallet i will have to wait until my original sailing

bertie

starblazer

good to hear you are both ok as that is what really counts...id love to get me hands on the thieving swines as im sure we all do...best thing is to try & get on enjoying the motorhome,i hope its not put you off too much...best wishes sammx

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back