Buy your van

No, the former (the first sentence you wrote is the question. The second is just a statement)
So answering the question ...
No. Correct. I don't go up to random people or knock on doors and ask if they want to sell something.

And I find it rather weird and creepy that apparently that doing so is considered normal behaviour by some

It is no different to been a door to door salesman and there is no shortage of those, but no doubt you also find that weird and creepy. Do you never randomly engage with people when you are at a show. Buying and selling are all the same. Maybe if you lived somewhere more populated you might get used to cold callers.

Barter and asking is a way of life here, twice out in my van been asked do I want to sell, my old skoda was the same.

What I'm always amazed at is the discounts people ask for, and get on these programmes. When I was in the trade anyone asking for better than 10% got a very short and succinct response.

That's the wonder of telly. Having worked and witnessed the filming at one of the auction houses on Celeb Antiques Road Trip pretty much all of it is false and staged even some of the bidders are planted. I would expect but don't know for certain ( before someone picks me upon it) the buying part in the shops to be no different.

IMG_1103.JPG
IMG_1106.JPG

I have a full face picture of Tom who put a note through my door complete with phone number to phone him. Oxford is where he was but phone number was a woman selling a caravan in Brum or manchester. I can’t remember. Portly type I have him on my security cameras.

It is no different to been a door to door salesman and there is no shortage of those, but no doubt you also find that weird and creepy. Do you never randomly engage with people when you are at a show. Buying and selling are all the same. Maybe if you lived somewhere more populated you might get used to cold callers.
in reverse ...
Cold Callers - I have a sign in the door telling Cold Callers to **** off and not come back.
Buying and selling are all the same - no, buying is buying something off someone. selling is selling something to them. very basic difference.
Randomly engage with people at a show - yes I talk to strangers. no I don't ask them if they want to sell anything (unless they are there as traders obviously. see previous comment about difference between buying and selling)
No different to door to door salesman - they go to doors wanting to sell goods, not to buy them (again, see comment about differences between selling and buying)

PS. no charge for advice and information. I didn't randomly solicit you to buy it. And you didn't randomly ask me to sell it to you.

What I'm always amazed at is the discounts people ask for, and get on these programmes. When I was in the trade anyone asking for better than 10% got a very short and succinct response.
Tight ass, your right of course as I get it all the time with new outboard engines, how much profit do folks think there is on a £450 engine.

Now this "weird and creepy" comment about asking people if they are selling some of their belongings .....

Looks like quite a few people have a similar attitude ....
1610884408039.png

"Knock knock" at door
"Can I help you"?
"I was just wondering if you are selling those slippers you are wearing?"
Yup. Totally nomal :D

Now this "weird and creepy" comment about asking people if they are selling some of their belongings .....

Looks like quite a few people have a similar attitude ....
View attachment 91356

Blimey does that mean I can sell me unwashed solomons?

I suppose the old saying 'where there's muck there's brass' holds some truth! :giggle:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back