Butane Regulator

GDog

Just bought a new Gelert double burner and grill from our fave online auction site. Thrown in with the deal was 1m of low pres' hose and a 29bar regulator. The reg' instructions say "not to be used in a road vehicle". What do I use in my campervan then? Also, I was going to connect up using solely the Jubilee hose clips. Should I use jointing paste as the reg' instructions infer?
Lastly there's something rattling around inside the reg' - is that normal?

GDog

I should imagine that it means it should not be used in a vehicle's fuel system.

I have never used jointing paste on "rubber" hoses and my regulator rattles :)

HTH

Frank

just fit as norm and tighten jubilee clips! then if you want smear washing up liquid around the joints! no bubbles no leaks!

Some regulators (old style - cheap - BBQs, camping stoves) have a small hole on the underside of the regulator, small amounts of gas escape from this hole when the gas supply is pressurised. When the regulator diaphram fails gas will constantly leak from the hole - hence not allowed inside a vehicle.

The other thing with camping stoves in a van is that its not just a case of putting the stove in - for basic safety you need a permanently open top and bottom vent - top vent within 100mm of heighest part of the roof and bottom vent at floor level. This is more about stopping carbon monoxide poisoning when the stove is in use than LPG gassing/fire.

There have been quite a few threads over the years about locating gas bottles inside a van, rather than in a sealed (from the interior) gas locker or an external gas tank. My personal preference is to always have the gas bottles/tank on the exterior and below floor level.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back