Burstner Ixeo

izwozral

Anyone got one? Specifically the 680G. Any good? Known faults? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Had one for 2 years. The bed system (project2000) was a nightmare.
The skylight blind over the bed sags in the heat.
Cracking van, loads of space.

Some Burstners have had a serious problem with parts of the floor “delaminating” . On the whole people seem very happy with them. There are a couple of Fb groups for Burstner and Burstner snd Dethleff where you can get a good indication of any negative/positive points.

Recent post on the floors in the 744 I contacted the dealer I purchased from and they have told me that camper UK are dealing with these problems because they have all the equipment needed, booked in with them now but been told they cannot fix till at least next summer 🙈 told them I’d rather wait till next winter not being without van all summer. Just a heads up to how long the waiting list is and how big the problem must be
Just taken this copy from a recent post on Fb.

We have the Dethleffs 4 travel 6966, which is identical physically but with different trim.

No problems with the Dethleffs bit, apart from the Dometic fridge which is imho rubbish. The Fiat bit has had a few niggles but nothing too terrible.

We love it. Loads of space, huge garage we never fill, the bed is fine. At least, the main bed is. Ours was sold as a 4 birth and it isn’t really. The extra two are made up origami style with a zillion bits and are pretty uncomfortable when they are made. Ok for kids possibly but not for grumpy grownups...

It’s quite heavy. I forget the numbers now, but I took it to a weighbridge when we got it and it was I think 70 kilos over what Dethleffs stated. Ours is rated to 3850kg and loaded up for two weeks in France it’s all of 3650.

The build quality is good, but not this perfect Germanic stuff you read about. I’ve fixed 90% of the rattles but a few were tricky.

One thing though. We were idly wondering what to do next and we looked at a van we quite liked at a dealers the other day. He gave us an indication of what we’d get on trade in for the Dethleffs and to say it was disappointing would be an understatement. I know it was only his opening salvo but even so....He claimed they were hard to shift, an unpopular layout and so on. Twaddle, I reckon - there are other examples of this layout around so I’m inclined to think he just didn’t want to take it for some reason. Might be worth just bearing that in mind if you’re talking money with the seller. Perhaps don’t pay top dollar?

Ps we leave the duvet on the bed and squash it against the ceiling. So the bed is ready made apart from slinging pillows on. Think it’s brilliant, best of both worlds: made up bed like a fixed but takes up no space during the day.

Last edited:
Great van, if you get the right spec but......
1. Ours leaked round the door - dealer couldn’t fix
2. Garage is an odd shape
3. Every time we went out, the bloody bed failed
4. You cannot use the bed and the seating at the same time. One or the other
5. Crap catches on the wardrobe doors. Every time round a corner the doors would slide violently open

I promised that it would be gone before warranty ran out. Couldn’t cope with it any more, sold within the year for an a’class ixeo. In the end the insurance company made me insure it at the dealers premises, I kid you not. It wasn’t the Burstner element that was bad, just the project 2000 bed. Never again. I would rather camp in a tent than own one with that drop down bed. On the plus side, the bathroom is a great size.

I understand a few get traded in for other models because of the bed/sleeping arrangement.

Jon

Crikey. We must be lucky with ours. Sorry to hear that tale of woe.

I’d forgotten about the sliding doors that came open on corners: we fixed stronger catches and it’s been ok.

Why is the bed a nightmare?

One morning it started to lift with us both asleep on it! Never moved so fast in our lives!!
It would lose its datum so could stop anywhere. A pain in the arse when its stuck down and you have to crawl under it to wind it up manually!
The actuators on the drop head were very unreliable.
Had it all repaired under warranty but would cost a fortune out of warranty.

Personally i would never have an electric bed again, only fixed or manual drop down.

PS i'd forgotten about the bloody wardrobe doors

Why is the bed a nightmare?

Electric Bed same as the Pilote we had. If you don’t mind not being able to get the bed down when you need it or worse still not being able to get it back up again then it could be the van for you. You also lose headroom if the bed goes up made and they make horrible noises going round bends unless you pack them tight.

Last edited:
I'm not denying some people have had bad experiences, and they do sound grim - however, ours (touch wood) has never failed, we keep the duvet on it and it packs right up to the ceiling. The only noise I think it makes was one of the hoist brackets rubbing against a bit of a cupboard trim and 10 mins with the right gadget fixed it.

All this is probably no help at all - mixed experiences!

The early Project 2000 bed unit had a couple of electric rams and a scissor frame. The electronics were buried under the bed so impossible to get at if the bed jammed. No way of moving it if it got stuck. Later ones used an aluminium track down the bulkheads and an electric motor that winds a shaft with belts to lift the bed up. The later one can be moved up and down with an electric drill and Allen key.

Viewed a Burstner 680 this morning up in Scotland, lovely looking MH, fantastic layout and floor to ceiling garage. Ticked every box and the price was super cheap as the seller needed a quick sale.
One problem, the bed didn't want to lower and raise without a lot of faffing about. The drive chain looked very loose so guessed its slipped a cog or two. Shame really because other than that it was perfect MH for us. It has put us off an electric bed now.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back