Brittany Ferries EU Carbon capture scheme surcharge

Moped

From 1st January 2024 the good old EU are going to apply carbon capture tariffs to ferries that travel within EU waters. Brittany Ferries have no choice but to pass this cost on to customers including those who may have already booked and paid:-

I thought one of the reasons Brittany Ferries was introducing a new fleet of LPG powered ships on the Spanish sailings was because the EU had designated LPG a green energy source.

So why the surcharge then on this crossing if you are aboard an LPG powered ferry?

Something to ponder.

To add a bit more meat the surcharges are £1 per person on all crossings, £9.50 for a motorhome on the French crossings and £24 for a motorhome on the Spanish crossings. Surcharges only apply to bookings made after 1st November for 2024 sailings and beyond.

If you booked before then it will not be applied.

The surcharges are included in the tariffs, not shown separately on your invoice. Odd decision not to show them separately which makes me think the EU have legislated that they have to be hidden so that the EU are not viewed in a negative light when passengers review their invoice.

Isn’t this the reason we left the EU? So we wouldn’t be affected by EU taxes?
As we now have “Taken control of our own affairs “, our Government should ensure us Brits were exempt.

Tbh. No I don’t believe that either. Just saying that, to me, the only effects on leaving are negative

If you think £1 per person levy is bad, look at the charges on the attached screenshot for my potential Irish Ferries Dublin to Cherbourg crossings (2 people). A total of €116 !! Or about 10% of the cost of travel.

0746CFDB-A6B6-4889-AF0D-5C9965C8E34F.png

When I checked our usual September trip from Portsmouth to St Malo for 2024, it came out over £150 dearer than this year ........ it'll be the Tunnel this time.

When I checked our usual September trip from Portsmouth to St Malo for 2024, it came out over £150 dearer than this year ........ it'll be the Tunnel this time.
What about Portsmouth Cherbourg or even Poole Cherbourg?

Its then a 2.5 to 2.75 hour drive to St Malo.

We always use these crossings as we normally find the St Malo route poor value and there are some decent stop overs on the way around Granville or Avranches. We always stop at the Avranches Carrefour/Lidl which is just off the motorway to fill up our fridge and food cupboards.

I’ve just checked and a Portsmouth St Malo crossing on 11th September for 2 of us and our 9m motorhome would be around £246 including reclining seats at £5 each so slightly puzzled that it’s an extra £150 than last year. There is an early bird rate right now. At this price we might even book this route for a change!

It’s only £20 more than the Cherbourg crossing so for those off to France in September get your bookings in now!

CHOOSE SAILING​

Select your date of travel

EARLY BIRD
STANDARD
FLEXI

Portsmouth - St Malo​

Cabin & Kennel Availability finder
Departs:12 Sept 2420:15
Now arrives:13 Sept 2408:00 08:15
Ship:
£236.50 £256.50 £261.50
*Note: local times shown

Portsmouth St Malo
12 Sept 2024

Last edited:
Isn’t this the reason we left the EU? So we wouldn’t be affected by EU taxes?
As we now have “Taken control of our own affairs “, our Government should ensure us Brits were exempt.

Tbh. No I don’t believe that either. Just saying that, to me, the only effects on leaving are negative
We are exempt. Stay in U.K. you don’t have to pay it

What about Portsmouth Cherbourg or even Poole Cherbourg?

Its then a 2.5 to 2.75 hour drive to St Malo.

We always use these crossings as we normally find the St Malo route poor value and there are some decent stop overs on the way around Granville or Avranches. We always stop at the Avranches Carrefour/Lidl which is just off the motorway to fill up our fridge and food cupboards.

I’ve just checked and a Portsmouth St Malo crossing on 11th September for 2 of us and our 9m motorhome would be around £246 including reclining seats at £5 each so slightly puzzled that it’s an extra £150 than last year. There is an early bird rate right now. At this price we might even book this route for a change!

It’s only £20 more than the Cherbourg crossing so for those off to France in September get your bookings in now!

CHOOSE SAILING​

Select your date of travel

EARLY BIRD
STANDARD
FLEXI

Portsmouth - St Malo​

Cabin & Kennel Availability finder
Departs:12 Sept 2420:15
Now arrives:13 Sept 2408:00 08:15
Ship:
£236.50 £256.50 £261.50
*Note: local times shown

Portsmouth St Malo
12 Sept 2024
Yes, I'm not sure what was going on with their website when I checked earlier this year, it is around the same price as you've highlighted. Anyway opted for the Tunnel at £160 as we are heading for Il de Re and in no rush.

Yes, I'm not sure what was going on with their website when I checked earlier this year, it is around the same price as you've highlighted. Anyway opted for the Tunnel at £160 as we are heading for Il de Re and in no rush.
We head that way too but like you say we are in no rush. Living in the Midlands, Portsmouth and Poole are more convenient exit points avoiding the M25. This year September weather around the La Rochelle basin was excellent so we moved to the med later than we normally do. Med weather even into mid October was great also with light winds. Aires were very busy right through our visit as a result. Hopefully more of the same in 2024.

Poole is a day crossing but Portsmouth to St Malo and Cherbourg are night crossings so may well use Poole again to avoid cabin costs but St Malo is a tempter as that ferry does a better breakfast. At least the EU charges are not too horrendous on the channel crossing unlike those suffered by our Irish friend above.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back