British teens sexually assaulted in NZ

In some places tourists are seen as easy marks, and the locals exploit that. Its a bit hard to hide being a tourist in a campervan, so that does make it easier for the crims.

My experience last year in Europe over 7 months was two attempted break ins (France & Spain) - both failed by us disturbing them (I'm sure the turkey in France is undergoing psychiatric treatment after I leapt through to the front of the camper stark naked - I shudder when I look in a mirror so God knows what horrors he has). One nuisance (UK) who kept flashing his headlamps whilst we tried to sleep - we moved, he won.

My daughter's experience, who has back packed around Europe - one attempted mugging in Madrid (one youth may never have children according to her), one successful "ride by" theft of her bag in Rome street cafe. She bounced back from both situations and still lives in Rome. However she has never got over being robbed by her employer in London who stole a month's pay from her after she worked out a month's notice as a nanny and failed to provide a P45 (?) to prove her tax payments.

In the case of NZ, its a very safe place for tourists in comparison to most countries. The original reporting of the incident in NZ newspapers is a bit different to that in the UK press, and having known far too many journalists I know the maxim of "never spoil a good story with the truth" may apply in the editing. The inferance in the NZ papers is that there was a threat of "sexual violence", but not rape. The women stayed the night with a guy who scared off the predator they had met at a local club and reported the incident to police the following day (which is odd in itself and makes it very hard for the police investigators).

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back