Breakdown Cover

Lighthouse

Hello,
I am just wondering if anyone has any advice on best breakdown company to use for my campervan.
I just lumped it in with my Insurance last year as too much on to shop around for any different options.
Thanks

I've been looking around too, and i think i'm going to go with the RAC this year. They are offering onwards travel to your holiday destinations then transfer back home if you can't be repaired, plus membership to one of the 2 big clubs. Can't remember which cos i'm not bothered about that.

I insure with Safeguard which includes AA breakdown/recovery cover.

You might like to consider a Nationwide Flex Plus account. This gives you comprehensive breakdown cover on all your vehicles both in UK and Europe. Worldwide travel insurance. Fee free overdraft up to £250. Mobile phone insurance. 3% interest on credit balances up to £2500. Commission free cash withdrawals abroad.

The account fee is £13 per month.

FlexPlus Current Account Details & Benefits | Nationwide

We have this - it more than pays for itself. You can also upgrade the personal travel insurance element for longer than standard trips, I think we paid £90 for up to 90 days at a time.

For many many years we used Saga or Safeguard for insurance we would play one against the other every year to get the best deal, with them it included breakdown cover over the years we were unlucky enough to have to use it 3 times. Cover was done by the AA and I can not fault the service provided, one occasion the van would be in for repair for about 3 days, a taxi arrived at the garage complete with an interpreter to take us to the hotel that had been booked for us by them, the same again when it was time to collect the van and having the interpreter was so useful when checking the bill and what had been done. We would most certainly still be with the AA if posable but Saga and Safeguard do not cover van conversions unless done by a big name company

:drive: :drive:

I was with the AA with my car anyway and am covered in whatever vehicle I am in

Be wary of which one you choose because the AA for instance has limits to what they will transport for em I am too big for the AA so I am with the RAC and am happy too because they take me to my destination and home again if no fix . Happy days no missed hols :)

Be wary of which one you choose because the AA for instance has limits to what they will transport for em I am too big for the AA so I am with the RAC and am happy too because they take me to my destination and home again if no fix . Happy days no missed hols :)
Have you got specific 'heavy' cover with the RAC?
Asking as their standard policy has same "no > 3.5t" limit as the AA does.

Speaking to an RAC rep the other day, and if he was truthful, no weight, size or age limitations.

Speaking to an RAC rep the other day, and if he was truthful, no weight, size or age limitations.
Sorry, but he is wrong.

I was with the RAC at the time I bought my 4.6t van last year and checked the situation ....
(Unless it is the 'Arrival' cover you have? In which case ignore me)

Last edited:
Sorry, but he is wrong.

I was with the RAC at the time I bought my 4.6t van last year and checked the situation ....
(Unless it is the 'Arrival' cover you have? In which case ignore me)

The Arrival cover is ringing some bells, thanks for the prompt, I had forgotten.

Hello, I had a problem with posting my reply, typed it out once then couldn't submit, prob my fault, so here goes again, just wanted to thank everyone who responded, I am a small camper so found as one person did on here that some places want a named company on 'their' list that did the conversion before they will cover you. I was looking at insurance and b/down at some points in my search, even though I asked for advice on b/down only as I was thinking of splitting the two. I have ended up going for both with AIB who Phil put on here quite a while ago and I have saved money. However, I have noted the various suggestions for next time. Many thanks again.

I have RAC arrival and this one has no limits or restrictions weight or size wise and I have been brought back once so no restrictions on me. I found with the AA it was not only the weight that was the issue it was the size they only carry up to 2 metres wide and I am 2.3 however they did not tell me this when I was with them for the first 3 years it was only when an issue arose and the repair guy said I am glad we fixed you because you would not get taken home by us you are too wide I rang them when back home and they said yes we can no longer cover you as you are too wide :( Hello I gave my reg if size is an issue ask before selling policies? But as I said I have been brought back by the RAC with no problems and no relay either straight home the AA I am sure swap you over if needed long journey home that way. IT HAS TO BE RAC ARRIVAL policy I should of sated that hope this clears any confusion up. Happy recovery free wilding people :) :)

In the defence of the AA, and other breakdown services, it is often the driver that is covered for any vehicle. The vast majority of members will be car owners so size of vehicle is not an issue.

If you have a larger vehicle the onus is on you to check if your vehicle is covered or not.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back