Bloody Insurance :( need tracker now

AMcQ46

Free Member
just insuring for 2nd year and being told my premium is going to go up from £480 last year to £1200!!!!!!!!! ... they say I coaul get it down to £526 with Tracker!

tried AIB as recommended on here and Darren has helped me understand the reason it has gone up, and the best he can get me without a tracker is £947.

Being told that my Ford Transit Custom based dayvan from Autocampers is :
a) high value vehicle
b) I now have 3 claims in my history over last 4 yrs [1 was hit and run when parked up, 1 was me on my motorbike, and 1 was my wife in her car]
c) it is still a Van on the V5C as it doesn't have a fixed 2 burner hob [and now the rules look even more likely to reject it as it isn't hightop]

there is very few insurers who are interested to cover all 3 issues, so I am bloked into corner.

Question to you is:
have you fitted a tracker?
what option did you find that still meets the Cat6 definition but is the best compromise of fitting costs and running cost?

When I bought my new Pilote in July my insurance insisted I had an approved tracker fitted due to vehicle value.
shopped about and went with this alarm / tracker combo. https://phantom.uk.net/gps-tracking/sentinel
yearly subscription is £149.00, a drop in the ocean when you consider what you pay for a new motorhome. On the 2 occasions I have opened the garage door without disarming the alarm they have messaged me within 2 minutes From the 24 hour manned monitoring centre so on the ball I reckon.

We have MetaTrak
About £500 to have fitted includes the first year subscription
Then we went for three years for £350
Amazing app on your phone that does everything
Transfer onto new van included after two years

I bought a new Motorhome this year and my insurance with AIB is £448 and that inc £3500 windscreen insurance as it’s an a class. I had to fit a grade one thatcham alarm. I have a tracker with a SIM card which can be hard wired or battery operated. I run it on battery because I can hide it better. The battery lasts about 8 weeks before I get an sms warning me it needs recharging, I can do a status check or location check. It’s also linked to my wife’s mobile. AIB were ok with this.

I,ve a tracker fitted but haven,t notified my insurance as worried that if van was stolen and tracker failed this might give them a excuse to not pay out

Thanks for all the replies... Looks like I will have to go with the tracker, just have to shop round for the best option on features vs cost and yearly subscription

I suspect a tracker would double the value of my van, thereby increasing the insurance premium. Trackers are useful though. The lorries I drove had trackers fitted and it saved me from prosecution when a Royal Mail driver accused me of hitting his vehicle and not stopping. The tracker proved I was nowhere near the scene of the accident. The guy must have chosen my lorry as I drove past York on the A1. The accident was apparently in the centre of York.

I haven’t a tracker for a number of reasons.
My van is 15 years old.
It is kept at the bottom of my garden behind enormous locked gates, it can’t even be seen from the road.
Even if they did get through the gates, they’d find professionally fitted deadlocks on every door.
Also my van is too small, I believe the thieves go for bigger jobs. We have a lady farmer locally who stores vans as a sideline, she does not accept vans with double back wheels anymore as they are the ones that get stolen, she said by Gippos!
But are these trackers effective?, I read on t’internet 2 or 3 years ago about a MHer who rigged up his van with a home made thingy involving a mobile phone.
His van was nicked but he zeroed in on it, it was driving on the A127 in Essex towards Southend.
He then contacted the police, they didn’t want to know, they said he wasn’t using a recognised tracker.
Also, the copper said that they knew where it was headed, to a well-known traveller site!!
You couldn’t make it up!

I haven’t a tracker for a number of reasons.
My van is 15 years old.
It is kept at the bottom of my garden behind enormous locked gates, it can’t even be seen from the road.
Even if they did get through the gates, they’d find professionally fitted deadlocks on every door.
Also my van is too small, I believe the thieves go for bigger jobs. We have a lady farmer locally who stores vans as a sideline, she does not accept vans with double back wheels anymore as they are the ones that get stolen, she said by Gippos!
But are these trackers effective?, I read on t’internet 2 or 3 years ago about a MHer who rigged up his van with a home made thingy involving a mobile phone.
His van was nicked but he zeroed in on it, it was driving on the A127 in Essex towards Southend.
He then contacted the police, they didn’t want to know, they said he wasn’t using a recognised tracker.
Also, the copper said that they knew where it was headed, to a well-known traveller site!!
You couldn’t make it up!

The problem is most insurance companies insist on an approved tracker if over a certain value.
In my case fitting refillable gas cylinders and a satellite system put it over the threshold. As it happens I was going to have one fitted anyway along with with an approved alarm.
Strangely enough my insurer didn’t insist on an alarm but again It’s something I was going to fit. Mine is stored behind locked 8’ gates with 2 cars in front, security lights and cameras, steering wheel lock and a wheel clamp and looking to buy a clutch claw in the near future.

The problem is most insurance companies insist on an approved tracker if over a certain value.
In my case fitting refillable gas cylinders and a satellite system put it over the threshold. As it happens I was going to have one fitted anyway along with with an approved alarm.
Strangely enough my insurer didn’t insist on an alarm but again It’s something I was going to fit. Mine is stored behind locked 8’ gates with 2 cars in front, security lights and cameras, steering wheel lock and a wheel clamp and looking to buy a clutch claw in the near future.

They cant say you haven't tried if it does go.

No chance of that getting nicked!

I had a self fit tracker on my last motorhome but the insurance companies only recognise ones with Thatcham approval. We now have A Vodafone Protect and Connect one but no one has stolen it yet so I can’t say how well it works.

Don't know if you've given Adrian Flux a go at quoting you. AF tend to be brokers
prepared to consider the more offbeat vehicles, they're Brokers not Underwriters, but they have
access to some bespoke options from non mainstream Underwriters.

A tracker has another use.
Have you ever parked in a strange place and after exploring the area not been sure of the way back?
With a Tracker you can find your vehicle and how to get back.

Don't know if you've given Adrian Flux a go at quoting you. AF tend to be brokers
prepared to consider the more offbeat vehicles, they're Brokers not Underwriters, but they have
access to some bespoke options from non mainstream Underwriters.
I am with AF at the moment, they were good last year getting it sorted, but the extra claim this year has now made me [More] undesirable!

I have a tracker being fitted on Thursday and will opt for a for a "duration of ownership" package deal, so it will pay for its self in less than 2 years

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back