Blonde moment... why did I flag this gizmo?

Minisorella

I remember reading a thread not long ago about a useful bit of kit... some of you said you had them and wouldn't be without them. Try as I might, I can't find the thread again now but the gizmo was something like this...

UEB X5 3" Automatic OBD II Car HUD Head Up Display Speed Warning MPH LED: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Well I must have been pretty impressed at the time because I flagged it up on an Amazon list (basket - save for later) and I've just seen that the price has gone down from £31.99 to £5.99! The bargain hunter in me is itching to press the buy button but I can't for the life of me remember specifically why I thought it was a good idea in the first place.

Can anyone refresh my memory please or remember which thread it was? blush.gif

Last edited:
Handy when driving where s/limits are in kph,the Fiat speedo in kph is really difficult to read,and the needle must cover nearly 5 kph.I just use my sat nav display these days

I have just bought a boxer motorhome there are a few thing I am not happy with, one is the speedometer is hidden behind the steering wheel ,the hand brake is far too low , the hand brake has to be lowered to swivel the driving seat .so if you find that
cheap heads up give the heads up Bazz

I use one and it is great as it is large easy to read unlike the speedo, and it is KPH or MPH . save calculations on the move. BUT I did have to stick a pin through the buzzer diaphram to stop the sudden screech after an hours driving.. horrid noise.

Thanks Rob, that's the one! I can sort of see why I flagged it up now... I do find my Boxer speedo a bit tricky because I always drive in sunglasses, so something brighter would be useful. The little satnav numbers are almost as bad with sunglasses on, although it dings very helpfully if I go over the speed limit but that's no use in stretches of roadworks or other temporary restrictions. At £5.99 it's worth a punt I reckon... just need to check that I've got one of those OBD sockets somewhere :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone!

There are Speedo apps

For smartphone or tablet
They work off GPS
Depending on your kit and the particular app you use this may be a FREE BARGAIN !
A suitable mount needed ! So it is always easily visible

On my cars electronic dashboard you can easily change MPH to KPH and language if its your thing. :scared:

:wave::wave::wave:

On my cars electronic dashboard you can easily change MPH to KPH and language if its your thing. :scared:

:wave::wave::wave:

Well there's posh Harrow! I sometimes think my dash is steam driven :wacko: One day my radio might even manage to pick up Radio 2 in the remote wilderness known as Glocestershire and the Cotswolds :raofl:

For smartphone or tablet
They work off GPS
Depending on your kit and the particular app you use this may be a FREE BARGAIN !
A suitable mount needed ! So it is always easily visible

I'm really grateful for this tip Jagmanx. I've downloaded a couple of apps to try out that look really good, one for iPad and one for Android phone. I'll give them a test run in the car tomorrow thumb.gif

The speedo on my van keeps stopping working. It takes a while to start and occasionally stops so I can only tell how fast or slow I'm going by my satnav!

The speedo on my van keeps stopping working. It takes a while to start and occasionally stops so I can only tell how fast or slow I'm going by my satnav!

That happened to me on my last car Carol... a common fault on old Audi A3s apparently and mine was 12 years old by that point. It eventually gave up completely and I lost all lighting on the dash too. A new cluster would have cost a fortune but I found a company that repaired them and all was well for about £50.

The HUD apps I downloaded yesterday look good... they reflect on the windscreen, so you don't have to keep looking at the satnav.

Thanks Jenny

That happened to me on my last car Carol... a common fault on old Audi A3s apparently and mine was 12 years old by that point. It eventually gave up completely and I lost all lighting on the dash too. A new cluster would have cost a fortune but I found a company that repaired them and all was well for about £50.

The HUD apps I downloaded yesterday look good... they reflect on the windscreen, so you don't have to keep looking at the satnav.

Looked again now i have a HUD speedo as well
Can choose

You can get a carrying gismo that fits on the dash so you can aim your phone at the windscreen.

We do not drive at night

You can get a carrying gismo that fits on the dash so you can aim your phone at the windscreen.

So not sure how good the HUD would be in the day ?
But the normal display is good so need the gizmo to fix and see the phone anyway.
Still a lot better than speedo or SatNav (for speed only)
I prefer MPH so Satnav is MPH but KPH can be set on the phone app
Satnav is OK for speeds but the bigger App display must be better..

Fines / Loss of points / insurance loading / and earache / inconvenience if pulled over / all mean that keeping to speedlimits is essential !

Oh blimey, I can do without a big bill!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back