Black Butyl/Rubber sealant

Nabsim

We removed a skylight from my van yesterday as it has been cracked since I got the van. When we came to remove it you could tell someone has revealed it in the past using this black sealant.

We managed to scrape clear where we needed the skylight to go but there is loads still on the roof that will need cleaning off, so to my question:

What is best for cleaning/dissolving this stuff? Will acetate or something else do it?

I used this stuff on mine, it removes silicone and acrylic sealants but I haven't tried it on butyl/rubber sealant
ae235.jpg
No Nonsense Sealant Remover 100ml | Sealant Removers | Screwfix.com

I've often seen people mention acetate and/or acetone but I've always assumed they dissolve paint?

I only popped in here because I thought it was about a horse :rolleyes2:

I've often seen people mention acetate and/or acetone but I've always assumed they dissolve paint?

Did you have your reading glasses on ?

i use acetone for cleaning /removing stuff like gaffer tape residue , vinyl glue , permanent marker,sellotape residue .all sorts of things, but never used it as a thinner

Definitely white spirit. Don't use products that may affect plastics especially not acetone!

Pure mineral spirits won't damage plastics but ordinary white spirits might!

I used Acetone to thin bitumen rubber type roof coatings & Isoflex liquid rubber, which by the way is very good stuff. if Isoflex is thinned with Acetone, then it dries very quick!

If you're using it on a steel roof then any white spirit will do.

Phill

Is it soft like a none setting mastic if so you could try WD 40 or meths with plastic scraper , we used to use 3 m adhesives cleaner for all adhesives .. If hard like sikaflex we used a Stanley knife blade /scraper .👷

Is it soft like a none setting mastic if so you could try WD 40 or meths with plastic scraper , we used to use 3 m adhesives cleaner for all adhesives .. If hard like sikaflex we used a Stanley knife blade /scraper .👷

Yes it’s soft and VERY sticky where it hasn’t been exposed to the air. I have two scrapers and in desperation a steel BBQ spatula I need to get the stuff of as well now lol. Whoever coined the phrase ‘sticks like s**t to a blanket’ had never come across this lol.

It’s on and has been well tested for watertight in rain since we did it but need fine days for a tidy up now but no panic for that. I think white spirit for the next try.
We used acetate in the lab for cleaning bitumen off equipment, you had to be very careful if you used on the plastic bodies of temperature probes as it mentored them. Occasionally good fun spilling a bit on battery compartments and waiting lol

Doesn’t look as bad here as it ended up.
82C86B68-7A17-4750-B2D4-8EE2D9C41553.jpg

Yes it’s soft and VERY sticky where it hasn’t been exposed to the air. I have two scrapers and in desperation a steel BBQ spatula I need to get the stuff of as well now lol. Whoever coined the phrase ‘sticks like s**t to a blanket’ had never come across this lol.

It’s on and has been well tested for watertight in rain since we did it but need fine days for a tidy up now but no panic for that. I think white spirit for the next try.
We used acetate in the lab for cleaning bitumen off equipment, you had to be very careful if you used on the plastic bodies of temperature probes as it mentored them. Occasionally good fun spilling a bit on battery compartments and waiting lol

Doesn’t look as bad here as it ended up.
View attachment 71471
Looks like much better sh#t than they use now .

It's on the roof? Do you have too much time to spare? If you are bored I have loads of grass that needs cutting.

Looks like much better sh#t than they use now .

I would agree with that up to the point you need to take something off lol

Don’t think it’s original though as no sign of it on other skylights. That bit of grey tape is good stiff as well, ended up leaving that bit on as it was tough to get off. It’s what the dealer had put over the crack in the dome

this is what i use for all sealing now - still be sticky in 20 years but skins enough to paint over

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Everbuild-EVB145GY-Butyl-Rubber-Sealant/dp/B006UQLE6C/ref=asc_df_B006UQLE6C/?tag=bingshoppinga-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583932700288934&psc=1
clean up with lots of cloth and white spirit

Last edited:
this is what i use for all sealing now - still be sticky in 20 years but skins enough to paint over

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Everbuild-EVB145GY-Butyl-Rubber-Sealant/dp/B006UQLE6C/ref=asc_df_B006UQLE6C/?tag=bingshoppinga-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583932700288934&psc=1
clean up with lots of cloth and white spirit

I got the mini heki and sealant from O’Learys as I am only 4 miles from them at the moment. They recommended I use Soudal Butyrub Polybutene Based Non-Setting Mastic - 310ml Cartridge

Makes a change for someone NOT to recommend the dearest thing they have lol

Will remember that though Nige if/when I decide to match the bathroom skylight to the new one thanks

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back