Bike racks

andromeda

Has anyone experience of fitting a bike rack to a motorhome with a rear door and a spare wheel to the right of that door? It is a stable door so I wondered if it was possible to fit one beneath the opening if I could put the spare somewhere else. Gertie is 15 year old Pilot Machzone.:(

There are a lot of good quality bike racks that bolt to a tow bar flange. Perhaps the easiest option but only if you have a tow bar.....

Keith

Some racks attach to the spare wheel. Will this work?

The towbar option is a good solution as you van always take it with you to your next van, and many vans have towbars fitted. ALso fitting a tow bar is relatively easy especially if you don't need electrics.

The towbar option is a good solution as you van always take it with you to your next van, and many vans have towbars fitted. ALso fitting a tow bar is relatively easy especially if you don't need electrics.

Unfortunately a tow ball without electrics is a MOT failure. Just happened to me on my Landrover. Just use the ball for recovery. Solved problem by removing ball, easier that coupling up electrics!!!
Replaced ball when back from MOT, must remember to take it off again next year!

I'm looking at getting a 2 bike carrier that attaches to the towball for my m'home. I've been looking at the Thule ones..some are quite pricey. Can anyone recommend one that is not too heavy, easy to fix on and secure? Thanks

Sue :)

I'm looking at getting a 2 bike carrier that attaches to the towball for my m'home. I've been looking at the Thule ones..some are quite pricey. Can anyone recommend one that is not too heavy, easy to fix on and secure? Thanks

Sue :)

I'm now looking for the same, did you manage to find a good/stable/secure/competitively priced make?

I'd say that the Thule racks are worth the money, Pendle and Witter also.

Some of the cheaper racks don't provide the same stability, I'd also recommend the ride on racks/platforms, they're more secure and much easier to load bikes.

Unfortunately a tow ball without electrics is a MOT failure. Just happened to me on my Landrover. Just use the ball for recovery. Solved problem by removing ball, easier that coupling up electrics!!!
Replaced ball when back from MOT, must remember to take it off again next year!
On my car I did not fit an electric socket only the tow bar and tow ball. And it PASSED (2012/2013/2014) 3 MOTs at 3 different garages without any comment. If NO electric socket is fitted it cannot be tested. Also see....

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_190.htm
Note 3.
On vehicles fitted with a towbar, check the condition and security of the trailer electrical socket.

Note: This check applies to both 7 pin (12N) and 13 pin electrical sockets.
Note 4.
On vehicles fitted with a trailer 13 pin Euro-socket, use an approved device to check that the socket is wired to correctly operate the trailer:

. Position lamps

. Stop lamps

. Direction indicators

. Rear fog lamp

And....If a tow ball or pin is not fitted at the time of test, e.g. because it is detachable, has been unbolted or otherwise removed, but the attachment brackets are still in place, any (that's present) trailer electrical socket/sockets should still be assessed.

Last edited:
Lastly....If a tow ball or pin is not fitted at the time of test, e.g. because it is detachable, has been unbolted or otherwise removed, but the attachment brackets are still in place, any trailer electrical socket should still be assessed.

Useful info, but not unequivocal because it says 'any' as opposed to 'the', so if there isn't one it can't be assessed and can't fail...
John

Hi I've just recently went from coach built motothomes to panel van motothome & I had the same dilemma ! I've opted for a towbar mounted bike rack as I didn't want the weight of 3 bikes plus the rack hanging from the rear doors TBH & so far it's worked fine & I'm happy with my set up.

I'm now looking for the same, did you manage to find a good/stable/secure/competitively priced make?

What about these on Ebay £69-99.
John.

Towbar Mounted 2 Cycle Tiltable Bike Rack Carrier With Lighting Board

On my car I did not fit an electric socket only the tow bar and tow ball. And it PASSED (2012/2013/2014) 3 MOTs at 3 different garages without any comment. If NO electric socket is fitted it cannot be tested. Also see....

UK MOT Information, Electrical Wiring and Battery
Note 3.
On vehicles fitted with a towbar, check the condition and security of the trailer electrical socket.

Note: This check applies to both 7 pin (12N) and 13 pin electrical sockets.
Note 4.
On vehicles fitted with a trailer 13 pin Euro-socket, use an approved device to check that the socket is wired to correctly operate the trailer:

. Position lamps

. Stop lamps

. Direction indicators

. Rear fog lamp

And....If a tow ball or pin is not fitted at the time of test, e.g. because it is detachable, has been unbolted or otherwise removed, but the attachment brackets are still in place, any (that's present) trailer electrical socket/sockets should still be assessed.

m4s06000601
Is the government site for information on tow-bar testing.
Only 13 pin sockets are tested.
If you take the ball of in an effort to not get the towbar tested bear in mind you will have to render unable to be refitted! IE welded up holes.

Last edited:
What about these on Ebay £69-99.
John.

Towbar Mounted 2 Cycle Tiltable Bike Rack Carrier With Lighting Board

They all seem to 'clamp' onto the towball itself, whereas, I'd prefer one that bolts on between the towball and the flange, so that I don't have to worry about it undoing/wobbling etc

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back