Bike rack mounted generator

Boris7

So it looks like I’m going to be doing a lot of wild camping, therefore I’ve bought a Honda 1kw generator, it’s mainly as a back up and I don’t want to keep moving it in and out, therefore my aim is to mount it permanently on the cycle rack.

I’ve already modified the rack to act as a fold down table to take a Cobb bbq etc, and today I’ve been sorting a design that allows the generator to be mounted behind the bike rack very close to the back of the MH with a heat shield and air gap.

The fold down table closes off the generator and locks, in addition the generator is firmly bolted in place and has a apple air tag within it and what we used to call an shot alarm back in my long distance driving days (don't ask please as I’ll just lie) which will stop any would be thief.

I’ve checked out the cycle racks capacity and checked that the fold down table and generator are well within its limits, but (this is where you guys come in) the rack is rated at 60kgs, the weight on it will be 42kgs, and most of that will be behind the rack so less leverage

BUT

will that weight permanently on the cycle rack become an issue over time?

My comment is that extra weight behind the rear axle will alter the front/rear wheel proportions.
Laura Lever suggests that not only will it increase the weight on the rear by more than the simple added weight but the front wheels will be lightened by a similar amount.
A weighbridge visit will give good info.

My comment is that extra weight behind the rear axle will alter the front/rear wheel proportions.
Laura Lever suggests that not only will it increase the weight on the rear by more than the simple added weight but the front wheels will be lightened by a similar amount.
A weighbridge visit will give good info.
Not too worried about the dynamic axel weights tbh, but more about the weight bouncing up and down on the bike rack mounts on the rear wall

Then there is the vibration to deal with. This relates more directly to the bike rack and how it is mounted.
I expect this can be "sorted" but suggest you investigate

Then there is the vibration to deal with. This relates more directly to the bike rack and how it is mounted.
I expect this can be "sorted" but suggest you investigate
Exactly my concern, the load capacity listed by the manufacturer of the rack and AutoSleeper are well within tolerance, but having then modified the fold down table today and mounted the generator prior to final fitting I’m reminded of yesterday when I drove from Edinburgh to Darlington on the A68.

The back end bouncing up and down with 31kg on the back even if rated at 60kg feels heavy to me.

A relative of Laura Lever again !
Go and play on a childrens see-saw !
But do not get arrested. Put bags of sugar at different distances from the pivot and go wild.
See if any "take off"

I actualy did this on a bike rack many yaears ago, the vibration when running was unbearable in the van, took it off on first time out.

I actualy did this on a bike rack many yaears ago, the vibration when running was unbearable in the van, took it off on first time out.
I trial ran it, and your right but hopefully I’ve got that Sorted with 8 isolated mounts

I trial ran it, and your right but hopefully I’ve got that Sorted with 8 isolated mounts
I got the same genny but I'd not fix it firmly as some times if there's anyone nr by I've took it 50 mtrs away so as not to disturb anyone. Actually the last 3 yrs I've not even bothered to take it no matter where I park some one always comes to close to use it

Big bit of kit on right on back . Can't say how it would not work . But when running you could have vibration problems.
I was going to put a engine on roof . The same problems . All good until the things running. !.

As for me it's was just a winter thing . So I'm spending money on batteries. No extra fule to be carrying
I'm in for more cells and a biggest victron inverter. But can't find someone to order them. From China.
Money's just sitting in bank. If someone is ordering from there. As I don't want them to be the 1st ordering.

Same as 1 Cup now 360Ah batt with 120W solar panel with 3Kw inverter longest time away to date 9nights , not good weather but batt never went below 12.3v.
Only use inverter for wifies hair drier about 2mins every day, and occasionally 700W microwave.

Sorted the vibration and sound issues today, box holding the generator mounted via cell clamps with anti vibration mounts, box has insulation panels with air vents and the exhaust is vented into a pipe with an exhaust box.

I have 2 x 110ah batteries (no space for bigger) and a new 120w solar panel.

Assuming the weight on the rear works the 6 litre fuel container (explosafe) also on the rear should allow the generator to work for 2-3 days if the solar doesnt hold out, no hair dryer as no hair, but may use the microwave to boil water for tea to save gas (thinking of a storm kettle)

I worked out I could replace my Trojan T105’s with 400Ahrs of lithium. This will double the capacity and reduce the weight. They are now on the slow boat from china.

I have considered for some time about modifying my Thule towbar mounted bike rack to put my gennie in a box, easy to fit anti-vibration mounts and no worries about the weight on the rear panel, reading this has spurred me on so thank you

I have considered for some time about modifying my Thule towbar mounted bike rack to put my gennie in a box, easy to fit anti-vibration mounts and no worries about the weight on the rear panel, reading this has spurred me on so thank you
Welcome,

I’m waiting for the secure box to come back from the Fabricators after I changed it following the trial, hopefully it will be back tomorrow and I can use it for Cadwell Park this weekend

Don’t think the weight you give will be a problem on the bike rack, my concern would have been damage through attempted theft but if it’s in a box that shouldn’t be a problem either. I did think of trying mine on the rack but as I had space in a locker I didn’t bother 👍

Don’t think the weight you give will be a problem on the bike rack, my concern would have been damage through attempted theft but if it’s in a box that shouldn’t be a problem either. I did think of trying mine on the rack but as I had space in a locker I didn’t bother 👍
Having had my solar panel nicked at Knockhill circuit last year I can assure you you may possibly nick the generator, but should you manage to open the front of the box you’ll need new pants, the shot alarm will be a shock.

Then a 100db alarm kicks in with a strobe light.

Should you then get the Generator past the 35mm bar locking it in your away, but it has an air tag in it so I’m after you.

At Oulton Park this weekend and no hook up, managed to get the new Ginny box done in time and it works a treat, no vibration and almost no noise (there is some noise behind the MH, but no real issue, as my intended use is wild camping, and here you just run it during races which are much louder)

39D4731F-3502-49F3-BF30-425E752C6394.jpeg
79FEB485-033B-47F8-A2F1-B460B30DDA7E.jpeg
671F43D1-9AF9-4A4E-939D-61FAF6E16B25.jpeg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back