Bike rack mods

Trotter

On the rear o/s door of my Fiat Ducato PCV motorhome. From now on known as Demi. I have a Fiamma bike rack. During one of this weeks torrential down pours, I noticed a damp area on the fixed bed. Off side, same side as the bike rack. The bike was on the rack.

I'm wondering if the weight of the bike is twisting the top corner of the door away from it's seal, causing the leak. There did look like there was evidence of that's were the water was getting through. I'm not convinced this is the best type of rack, although it's a bit of a looker.

Demi has a 50mm tow ball fitted.
I've seen on EBay several racks that fit over the 50mm tow ball. From what I can see, they are held on by friction. Anyone care to comment on their experiences with these ?

Looking at mine, I thought, if I can get a local Blacksmith to make a support using the mounting bolts of the tow ball to carry the Fiammi wheel gully's ( can't think of a better word ), where the wheels are secured. That would take the weight of the bike. Taking the weight off of the door. I could then lower the Fiammi frame, to support the for and aft movement of the bike. The frame is held on the door in two places, I could then support the frame using the lower mount.

I'm not sure if what I've written here makes a lot of sense, I've read it through, and I don't think I could write any clearer.

Just looked on the Fiammi site. The rack is the, Carry Bike 200 DJ. You maybe able to decipher what I mean by looking at that, and trying to imagine the weight of the bike being taken up on the tow ball.
If I'm having problems with a fairly lightweight mountain bike now, just think what it would be like after I've fitted an electric motor and battery.

I don't think I'll ever use the tow ball for towing, never say never. And I realise I'll have to take the bike off to open the rear doors..

Thanks for reading this ramble.

Bikes and motorhomes!
Realistically, it’s always going to be difficult.
Outside, in the rain.
Maybe think laterally?
Perhaps a full-sized bike is never going to work.
There are other options.
Oh wait, I have an idea!
No, it’s gone.

:)

Bikes and motorhomes!
Realistically, it’s always going to be difficult.
Outside, in the rain.
Maybe think laterally?
Perhaps a full-sized bike is never going to work.
There are other options.
Oh wait, I have an idea!
No, it’s gone.

:)
There isn't an option, full size or small wheel, it's got to live outside, on a rack.

Hi I swapped my fiamma door rack for an altera dl3 towball rack this rack slides back so you can open both doors still with the bikes on I use it for 2 electric bikes

On the rear o/s door of my Fiat Ducato PCV motorhome. From now on known as Demi. I have a Fiamma bike rack. During one of this weeks torrential down pours, I noticed a damp area on the fixed bed. Off side, same side as the bike rack. The bike was on the rack.

I'm wondering if the weight of the bike is twisting the top corner of the door away from it's seal, causing the leak. There did look like there was evidence of that's were the water was getting through. I'm not convinced this is the best type of rack, although it's a bit of a looker.

Demi has a 50mm tow ball fitted.
I've seen on EBay several racks that fit over the 50mm tow ball. From what I can see, they are held on by friction. Anyone care to comment on their experiences with these ?

Looking at mine, I thought, if I can get a local Blacksmith to make a support using the mounting bolts of the tow ball to carry the Fiammi wheel gully's ( can't think of a better word ), where the wheels are secured. That would take the weight of the bike. Taking the weight off of the door. I could then lower the Fiammi frame, to support the for and aft movement of the bike. The frame is held on the door in two places, I could then support the frame using the lower mount.

I'm not sure if what I've written here makes a lot of sense, I've read it through, and I don't think I could write any clearer.

Just looked on the Fiammi site. The rack is the, Carry Bike 200 DJ. You maybe able to decipher what I mean by looking at that, and trying to imagine the weight of the bike being taken up on the tow ball.
If I'm having problems with a fairly lightweight mountain bike now, just think what it would be like after I've fitted an electric motor and battery.

I don't think I'll ever use the tow ball for towing, never say never. And I realise I'll have to take the bike off to open the rear doors..

Thanks for reading this ramble.
just buy a bike rack that uses a bracket behind the towball, I used to carry 3 adult bikes on one. It was less than £10 from a cycle shop

consider packing the seal with old innertube common fix on old cars

channa

just buy a bike rack that uses a bracket behind the towball, I used to carry 3 adult bikes on one. It was less than £10 from a cycle shop

I hadn't thought of that. I had one some time ago, when I had a wobbly wheeler. It worked well, eg, the bikes never fell off. :king: Considerably more than a tenner now. £39.99

Last edited:
You can check the seal by dusting it with French chalk, or possibly flour, then closing the door.

Clean the door surface first of course so you can check if the chalk/flour is transferred.

Hi I swapped my fiamma door rack for an altera dl3 towball rack this rack slides back so you can open both doors still with the bikes on I use it for 2 electric bikes

I did exactly the same as this.

Had to fit 20mm spacer between towbar flange and towball to allow rear doors to clear bikes on opening. It's a really good setup.

Another plus is I can use motorbike security chain through the bike and attach it to towbar flange.

Saw a French guy in Portugal with the Fiamma DJ rack that I used to have. One back door had visibly peeled away from the back of his brand new Ducato based PVC.

He was a racing snake with a small light bike on the rack but it was enough to cause this very expensive damage.

In my view they are not suitable for fitting to rear doors.

Korky.

Check condiction and fitment door seals .check fitting of doors ,may need adjustment of hinges and catchers .van rear doors are prone to leaking ,not a problem on builders vans, big problem on rear bedded motorhomes .

Different vehicle and use I know but we used to have spare wheel and carrier mounted on rear door on a Pajero and that was fine. Van doors should be as good or better than that. I would check adjustment as some have mentioned, do a leak check then adjust and tighten, check proper torque settings as well

\_/ < Bike rack tyre securing alloy extrusion.
\
\ < angle pipe support
\
0__ < towball.

No CAD at home, hope the above makes sense?

Hmmmmm, looked all in line when typing, out a tad now, I hope you get the idea.

What do they say about great minds ? I thought pretty much the same, a support from the tow ball to the bike wheel carrier to take the weight off of the door hinge. I'll make one up in wood, to see if it's feasible. If so, I'll get a local Blacksmith to fabricate it, maybe with a screw thread, to act as a turnbuckle (?) to provide fine adjustment.
Great minds? Me ? :D

There isn't an option, full size or small wheel, it's got to live outside, on a rack.

This was an option for me.

20180630_180917.jpg20180630_182207.jpg

My bike rack fits on tow ball but I want to carry the back box as well so I got a mate to extend the rack to take the back box as well .I put rubber block between the rack and back doors then used straps to pull the rack against the doors keeping everything in place.C33E82B1-095D-41F5-8A87-CEC0985AEB85.jpgCBCEBA9E-D79D-4788-9536-63789205C23F.jpg1B3A6992-5C28-409B-B606-C500EC69DAE1.jpg4076966E-C104-4ABA-9FB1-C83562446128.jpgnothing has fell off so far lolol.

My bike rack fits on tow ball but I want to carry the back box as well so I got a mate to extend the rack to take the back box as well .I put rubber block between the rack and back doors then used straps to pull the rack against the doors keeping everything in place.View attachment 67582View attachment 67583View attachment 67584View attachment 67585nothing has fell off so far lolol.
Yes I found with 3 adult bikes the towbar bike carrier wanted to flex, and I used a strap back to the car to support it.

If you are cutting up the old one let me know what bits are left over Del :)

Major engineering project.

Any updates/progress?

Think I've sussed it. Simple upright 20/25mm sq tube, with inverted U cut in the bottom to fit over the tow bar carrier. Cut 30mm short of reaching the bike frame, with a 6mm bolt, several nuts and penny washers in the top to act as a turnbuckle, Then the threaded end of the bolt pushed into a hole drilled into the bottom of the bike rack mounting. When adjusted the strut, Square tube, bolt, penny washers, et al, will take the weight of the bike and rack off of the door. He said, simples. Not the set up, more like me, simples.

Before I do anything else, fix the puncture. Third ride, first puncture. That's a 30% failure rate.

Before I do anything else, fix the puncture. Third ride, first puncture. That's a 30% failure rate.

Back in 2011 I fitted Schwalbe Marathons before cycling from John o Groats to Lands End. Not a single puncture then or in the seven years since! :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back