Best Towbar electric bike racks for VW T5

sonjam

Free Member
Hi folks,
Sorry if this has already been asked,
Would be grateful for some recommendations on the best towbar electric bike rack for 2 bikes for our VW T5 camper. It has barn doors and we've been told that electric bikes would be too heavy for the racks that hang from the back of the van.
thanks in advance

Hi folks,
Would be grateful for some recommendations on the best towbar electric bike rack for 2 bikes for our VW T5 camper. It has barn doors and we've been told that electric bikes would be too heavy for the racks that hang from the back of the van.
thanks in advance
I would say that was good advice. Tow Bar mounted ones might be best and if battery pack is removable, take that off as well.

We have unequal barn doors on our doblo xl we found the atera strada 3 fitted and the barn doors still open . JUST. Previously had a doblo and it had to have a 25mm spacer mounted before the towball, sliced through at a funny angle one piece turned over and reassembled to twist the towball down a little and away from the bigger door. We only have 2 bikes but the strada 2 does Not sllde back and down as far as the 3. The difference between the 2 doblos is subtle, like how curved they are and quite where the door hinges are. I think the xl doors are a little wider, but more curved with the hinges more forward of the towball. This is for non electric bikes but I think the allowed load for the 3 bikes was 45kg. You should check that but for 2 ebikes that might be fine

The Thule rack is expensive but good quality and you can tilt it down to enable you to open the doors without removing the bikes from the rack. I’m sure the 3 bike rack will comfortably carry 2 Ebikes.
690DDC30-7D38-4474-B0CF-EC1ACEFFCB98.jpeg
D0592150-EDB9-4505-9ECF-CAF9BF904127.jpeg

Hi,
I'm using a BuzzRack on my tow ball, half the price of a Thule and folds the same way. Full electrics with both plugs supplied. easy to use and tilts back so you can access the boot/tail gate. It is specifically for ebikes, I carry a Cube hybrid and a Specialized Kenevo.

Another vote for the Altera 3. Fitted on our Ducato and works fine with one electric and one manual bike. Our previous door mounted rack started pulling the door seams open resulting in a body repair job. I have no connection to The Roof Box Company but talked to them about my purchase and they gave very good advice including access to some videos of the various racks in operation. There is a lot of choice and precious little accesss to actually trying them before purchasing.

Thanks everyone for your help with this, some great options for us to look at

FWIW, we have a Halfords Advanced 2 bike rack that we use with our car and have found it excellent. Our bikes are conversions and weigh around 20 kg each without the batteries. The rack is hinged to permit door opening just like the Thule one above, but the Halfords one is significantly less expensive.

Hi folks,
thanks in advance
I've 2 ebikes oxygen.and a Thule 3 bike towbar rack.
I think max load on mine is 45 kg which I'm just about on with 2 bikes and panniers etc no batteries.
On a T 5. You certainly notice the weight when driving.
Don't even mention speed bumps, ( I said!!!!!!!!)

I would say that was good advice. Tow Bar mounted ones might be best and if battery pack is removable, take that off as well.
We use Thule 'Roll on' style bike carrier which is towball mounted on our T5 with barn doors. It is very robust but we do still take the battery off the bikes . Tow bars are not too expensive if you can fit them yourself or otherwise keep away from VW OE. towbars. For example I am about to purchase an aftermarket tow bar for our new car. The cost with a wiring kit dedicated to the vehicle is about £300 wheras I was quoted nearly £800 to have it pre fitted at the dealers before delivery!!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back