Best route from M4 to Greenwich

DocHoliday

I'm near Bristol and planning to go to Greenwich on Sunday morning - it looks pretty horrendous whichever way I go. What would be the fastest and least stressful route in a 6.5m Hymer? Also, anywhere to park when I get there (just for the day - not staying overnight)?

I'm near Bristol and planning to go to Greenwich on Sunday morning - it looks pretty horrendous whichever way I go. What would be the fastest and least stressful route in a 6.5m Hymer? Also, anywhere to park when I get there (just for the day - not staying overnight)?

I would think M4 all the way in to London then take the North Circular and keep your fingers crossed.

Congestion charges made me go that way last year to the Excel Centre in docklands and it proved OK. Not fast, but things did move OK.

Short of that, you might try going to France via Portsmouth and coming back via Dover!!!

Sorry, didn't mean to be really sarcastic, but from previous experience in the wonderful south of England, there is no easy way.

Maybe the solution should be to move to the North? It's pretty good up here, but we don't tell too many people in case they want to come up and overpopulate us.....

Greenwich

:)

Sunday morning isnt that bad , try it it on a weekday !!! M4 then merge with the A315 (Kew Bridge Road )straight on ,on the A205 at the next roundabout take the 5th exit onto A4 follow the A4 until you get to a right turn signed A3220 (Earls Court Road) straight on the A3212 (chelsea embankment) Right over the Vauxhall bridge A202. The road is the same but the number changes to A3204 follow this for about 2 tenths of a mile then bear left onto the A202 follow this until you reach the A2 whccih will take you to Shooters Hill which is where I normally try to park then walk down the hill into Greenwich if you wish to drive into Greenwich take the A207 and then left on the A205 which will bring you into the centre . ....:)

I know it looks a little complicated but it is the most direct route and on a Sunday morning depending on traffic conditions it can take you from as little as 45 minutes upwards ....The alternative is to follow the M25 southbound and go up the A2 but it is a long way around.

Good luck and enjoy your day

In the end I did it in two stages. Drove south on the M25 then up to Biggin Hill where I spent the night on an industrial estate next to the airport. It's not allowed but no one hassled me. Then I drove up to Greenwich via Bromley and Blackheath - not a bad drive on a Sunday morning. Be warned that Greenwich itself is very hard to get into in a MH - there are 7ft wide barriers everywhere - I had to park at Blackheath and walk down the hill. But the sun shone and it was a great day.:)

In the end I did it in two stages. Drove south on the M25 then up to Biggin Hill where I spent the night on an industrial estate next to the airport. It's not allowed but no one hassled me. Then I drove up to Greenwich via Bromley and Blackheath - not a bad drive on a Sunday morning. Be warned that Greenwich itself is very hard to get into in a MH - there are 7ft wide barriers everywhere - I had to park at Blackheath and walk down the hill. But the sun shone and it was a great day.:)

pleased you enjoyed , to be honest I forgot about the barriers , and you obviously did the sensible thing. I will remember Biggin Hill any wild spots around London is helpful for me . You had a nice weekend for it too.

I think I got away with Biggin because it was the Saturday night of a bank holiday weekend - I doubt I'd risk it again another night.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back