Best phone deals now Plusnet Mobile is closing

barge1914

We’ve had good deals and service from Plusnet for our phones and mifi, but we have learned BT are closing it down soon. So we need to change sharpish before we go away.

Can I ask what people reckon are the best deals at the moment? We travel in EU for 90 day periods, so need good roaming allowances, without onerous fair-usage penalties, and a service that works well in remote Scottish areas. Definitely not Vodaphone after the way they treated us previously. We also need one that gives a UK IP address so can continue to use IPlayer and Netflix.

We have been on virgin unlimited date fir years ,but its just become o2 ..
Never been charge in eu for being over the far usage policy. I bet that's changed now its o2.

I use 1p mobile with a monthly rolling contract, this is on EE network, works very well on WiFi calling, gf uses Lebara which uses Vodafone network, but she cannot get WiFi calling to work. Between the two of us we pretty much always have a signal.
P.s. not sure on latest with EU roaming, will have to check, last time I looked Lebara had good terms.

I’ve just recently move all my stuff across to RWG. Not used it abroad yet but going for a month in July they let you use your full package abroad. They call it roam like at home and don’t tether you to 12g or 25g.

I bought a popit sim for the mifi on our grand tour of Ireland. Have to say it's been rock solid. Defaults to EE if it can.
I have a 1p and Smarty sims for use at home in the mifi. The 1p nearly always 'outshoots' the Smarty in darkest Wales and Scotland. 30 day data bundles on 1p are more expensive than some but, if you use all your data before the 30 days are up, you can renew immediately; you don't have to wait.
I have 1p in my phone - £36 for the year as a light data user.
SWMBO has had plusnet for years but they've said nothing about closing down so I think current customers stay for the time being. If you check their website they bump new customers over to EE who offer some eye-wateringly expensive deals.

Has anyone had problems with EE or O2 when roaming more than their 2 months Fair use policy limit? Never had a problem with Plusnet despite the small print.

How long does a megabite last on a ph using data. :unsure:
Not long, but it would never be just 1mb Trev, I used have 4gb pm, even using my phone as a hotspot, downloading from Netflix etc doing the forums and email every day and using Google Maps I've never run out, they upped me to 10gb so I just use it as I need to, I watched a film in the car the other day waiting for Liz.

I'm sure there are one or two members on here who use EE when abroad. Can't remember who they are....

Might be some old but recent "communications" type threads in the forum? Any over on motorhomer.com?

Mobile services seem to change and morph so fast these days it's a headache keeping up with the best suppliers/deals! 😟😝

We’ve had good deals and service from Plusnet for our phones and mifi, but we have learned BT are closing it down soon. So we need to change sharpish before we go away.

Can I ask what people reckon are the best deals at the moment? We travel in EU for 90 day periods, so need good roaming allowances, without onerous fair-usage penalties, and a service that works well in remote Scottish areas. Definitely not Vodaphone after the way they treated us previously. We also need one that gives a UK IP address so can continue to use IPlayer and Netflix.
What is a "good" roaming allowance?
I would suggest investigating RWG and Popit Mobile. Both use the EE network in the UK and both allow use of the data allowance in the EU but check for any maximum period - my trips are maximum 60 days and both are OK for that.

Spoke to Plusnet. They say they’ve been told they are being shut down mid-late July. Meantime service as usual. Their ‘EE exclusive deals’ are a lot cheaper than those on EEs website. Typically £12 for £20gb, or £15 for 100gb. £15 monthly roaming pass. Fair usage limit of 50gb. 90 day usage in EU is ok, (unlike others that limit you to 63 days).

I looked at RWG. In principle looks good, but it has some terrible reviews, more bad than good. Where it works first time it seems ok but when it doesn’t customer service seems virtually non existent.

Popit looks like it would be good for us. It uses EE so good reception and data speeds. You can roam using full data allowance for up to 6 months. Data is a bit more than EE, but without the extra roaming charge works out cheaper. Also you can pay only £1 per month for months when you don’t need it.

What is a "good" roaming allowance?
I would suggest investigating RWG and Popit Mobile. Both use the EE network in the UK and both allow use of the data allowance in the EU but check for any maximum period - my trips are maximum 60 days and both are OK for that.
Can you use Netflix and BBC IPlayer on Popit and RWG?

If I didn't want roaming in Australia, I'd probably go for Smarty. Runs on the 3 network and has a good included EU roaming allowance.

Breowsers with vpn built in, opera,tor,aloha, you may also like brave and pay a small amount, is a fab browser.
browser a.png
browser b.png
browser c.png
browser d.png

UNHAPPY VIRGIN
My Virgin has been changed to O2, I had unlimited data and no problems in Europe on long trips.
( Last one was 115 days, Dutch wife. )
02 Gives me 25 Mega bites .
I'm changing to Poppit which will give me 100Mb for £25 as long as I also use it for 3 months a year in UK.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back