Best Mobile Contract allowing for roaming?

Alshymer

Hi
I have just finished a contract with 3 which has been great apart from the £2 roaming charge per day.
Does anyone have a better solution for a good U.K. contract with reasonable roaming allowances?
Thanks

I got a Tesco contract recently. £17.50 a month, unlimited data, no roaming restriction and can use my phone as a hotspot - haven't fully tested it out in the wild as yet, but seemed to get a decent connection on a short trip to the Netherlands/Belgium. More expensive than the Smarty sim, and it's a 2 year contract, plus I've heard that 3 coverage is better than O2, but it suits me.

I got a Tesco contract recently. £17.50 a month, unlimited data, no roaming restriction and can use my phone as a hotspot - haven't fully tested it out in the wild as yet, but seemed to get a decent connection on a short trip to the Netherlands/Belgium. More expensive than the Smarty sim, and it's a 2 year contract, plus I've heard that 3 coverage is better than O2, but it suits me.
Apparently they are charging for roaming from January 2023.

I have one of there £5 sims
That system sounds good especially with EU roaming included. I wonder, for how long?
Have you actually tested out the roaming?
Kind regards

Look at GifGaf operates on O2 service provider no roaming and operates on monthly contract I pay 6£ a month unlimited calls an texts 1 gb data 10£ gets you 15gb you can switch monthly to suit your data needs for no charge working fine in France

Last edited:
One penny mobile, £10 3 mths and you can switch on and off roaming or anything else from there home page.

Look at GifGaf operates on O2 service provider no roaming and operates on monthly contract I pay 6£ a month unlimited calls an texts 1 gb data 10£ gets you 15gb you can switch monthly to suit your data needs for no charge working fine in France
Just in the last 5 mins had message from GG that from 27th July I,ll be limited to 5gb while roaming in EU

• Sad
Reactions: REC
Just got email from Giffgaff too
From 26 July 2022, you’ll be able to use up to 5 GB of your goodybag data allowance in the EU and selected destinations at no extra cost, a change from 20 GB. After this, the rate you’ll pay for data will be the same rate you pay in the UK, a change from 0.36p/MB to 10p/MB.
So the reason I changed from Vodafone was the EU roaming was 20gb on new contract :mad:
Has anyone heard from O2 as Tesco is also O2 so sounds like the last providers of included a decent EU roaming is going.

I use Giff Gaff seems to work OK. 20gb roaming per month in EU. Simple app for topups

Switched our Three sims over to Virgin sim only, no roaming charges in France so far.

Bugger.

I was planning to ditch 3 when my contract expires and move to Tesco.

So was the wife after being hit with the £2 per day roaming charge from 23rd May on our recent jolly o_O

They very conveniently sent her a text every day reminding her of it so initiating the charge 🤬

Now we are looking at Plusnet for when her contract runs out :unsure:

Reactions: REC
O2 are still advertising no roaming charges. Ordered a 20gb sim £8 month 12 mth contract. Giff gaff will be ditched end July!

O2 are still advertising no roaming charges. Ordered a 20gb sim £8 month 12 mth contract. Giff gaff will be ditched end July!
No roaming charges, but there is a 25GB data roaming limit.
They also say:
"You can only use our services for periodic travel (like holidays or short breaks) in our Europe Zone (excluding the UK). Otherwise we may charge you for using our services in our Europe Zone (excluding the UK). If this has happened to you and you think it might be a mistake, call 202 from your mobile or 0344 809 0202 from any other phone.

Use of our services in our Europe Zone is subject to our fair usage policy."
"What to avoid: Using equipment or SIM cards other than as intended. For example, using your O2 SIM card in a modem instead of a mobile phone or tablet or using a mobile phone or tablet as a baby monitor would fall outside this Fair Usage Policy."
"What to avoid: Using our services for the first time outside of the UK, using a large volume of your allowance (be that text, calls or data) in our Europe Zone (excluding the UK), or using our services and travelling within our Europe Zone (excluding the UK) for prolonged periods which don’t follow reasonable consumer holiday and travel patterns and behaviour. If you use our services outside the UK in our Europe Zone for 63 or more days in any four month period and you cannot demonstrate prevailing use and / or presence in the UK this is likely to be deemed to be an unfair use of our services."

No roaming charges, but there is a 25GB data roaming limit.
They also say:
"You can only use our services for periodic travel (like holidays or short breaks) in our Europe Zone (excluding the UK). Otherwise we may charge you for using our services in our Europe Zone (excluding the UK). If this has happened to you and you think it might be a mistake, call 202 from your mobile or 0344 809 0202 from any other phone.

Use of our services in our Europe Zone is subject to our fair usage policy."
"What to avoid: Using equipment or SIM cards other than as intended. For example, using your O2 SIM card in a modem instead of a mobile phone or tablet or using a mobile phone or tablet as a baby monitor would fall outside this Fair Usage Policy."
"What to avoid: Using our services for the first time outside of the UK, using a large volume of your allowance (be that text, calls or data) in our Europe Zone (excluding the UK), or using our services and travelling within our Europe Zone (excluding the UK) for prolonged periods which don’t follow reasonable consumer holiday and travel patterns and behaviour. If you use our services outside the UK in our Europe Zone for 63 or more days in any four month period and you cannot demonstrate prevailing use and / or presence in the UK this is likely to be deemed to be an unfair use of our services."
Still better than 5gb limit. We will never get back what was lost when we left EU but I can work with the O2 limit as we buy a Portuguese sim when staying there, it is for travelling there and back.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back