Best external gas cooker/bbq

dave01736

Hi guys

I’m looking to buy a external gas cooker/bbq.

This will be used for general cooking, keeping the motorhome free of the extra heat,And more social.

any ideas on what to buy

cheers

Cadac safari chef bbqs seem to get good reviews on here.

We like the cadac.
You can get black teflon type cooking sheets to ease the cleaning.
But a spray bottle with water and washing up liquid does the job if sprayed on soon after cooking.
We cook thinly cut meat and also a variety of oiled/marinated vegetables.

We had a gas BBQ that used the volcanic rock and was ok until it rotted. Had a festival booked so needed something. Did a bit of googling and found Asda do a portable gas grill. Went along to local store to have a look and brought it for 24 quid. Im really impressed. It even had a regulator with it. It doesn't pack down very small but still no bother. Gets my vote. Expert Portable Grill by Uniflame.

Another vote for the cadac bbq. Pre Covid I used ours almost every night during the summers to cook for a family of four while travelling in France, Spain and Portugal.

We have a Weber Go Anywhere charcoal bbq. It’s good quality and you can get a gas fuelled version.

I quite like the Ridge Monkey Grilla, but then I'm a bit of a sucker for Ridge Monkey gear!

Cadac safari chefs seem popular, but we have one and I’m not impressed so never use it. We have 2 charcoal bbq’s. One is a rectangular cast iron Toro bbq grill the other is a bucket bbq. Both work very well, get very hot and can be used like a fire pit to keep you warm while you‘re eating
Our Cadac never seemed to get hot enough and was a pain to keep clean.

Cadac. We used it every day for a full English in the morning using the griddle plate and a BBQ in the evening with the BBQ plate. Also used as an oven for cooking fish in foil when lid placed over top. We picked up some small enamel tapas dishes for heating up baked beans and tinned tomatoes and such like at the same time as the full English was cooking.

We don’t yet have an external gas point so hook it up to a 6kg calor gas bottle. Not used the MH oven since the Cadac purchase. And no greasy fry splashing or smells in the MH as all full English cooking outside.

Using the calor bottle gives us the flexibility of cooking on the Cadac away from the MH when parked in a car park. Something to think about if not using a campsite.

Last edited:
We've used a Cadac Safari Chef for past 5 years or so which is ok for cooking outside BUT it's not a bbq, does not give the flavours of bbq and neither do any other gas fuelled cooking appliances. It's pretty good for Pizza with a stone, and we have done spatchcock chicken successfully for an alternative xmas dinner. For flame grilled food though we have a compact fold flat bbq that we use with charcoal for the real deal. Would like a smoker bbq but not yet found one compact enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cadac safari chef bbqs seem to get good reviews on here.
Was a tough sell as it is expensive. We went for safari chef 2 HP with the screw on gas, box of 6 canisters for £24.
Surprisingly, works very well - the split grill/flat bit is good for meat/veggie (wife "lives" with meat fat spits!). The best bit, its trivial to clean and comes up new each time - something no other BBQ did.
Yes, you can get a gas-point one, but too late for us, but no issues with this - 6x cans will easily last a year!
Does good pizza on the stone too (after practice!)

Reactions: REC

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back