Best Apps for France

Sharon the Cat

We are off in a few weeks and will probably be taking a 5 year old copy of All the Aires and using Search for Sites.
What other apps would you recommend, apart from the WC app of course?

Not an app, but I like this website. Edit - sorry but my explanatory text is tiny, between the images.

On the linked page, choose ”rechercher” (search).

Screenshot_20230829-133529_Samsung Internet.jpg

Then enter the name of the town you want to search near. I used Calais just as an example.

Screenshot_20230829-133609_Samsung Internet.jpg

It may show several towns with the word Calais in them, select which one you want.

Screenshot_20230829-133616_Samsung Internet.jpg

It then shows parking, aires etc in the area and the distance from your selected town. Choose the one you want to look at.

Screenshot_20230829-133625_Samsung Internet.jpg

Then you get details of exact location, prices and services. But the really clever bit is the ”visite virtuelle”. It's a 360⁰ panoramic sweep of the aire so you can see exactly what it's like.

Screenshot_20230829-133645_Samsung Internet.jpg

Have a play with it using places you know, to see how it works.

I use Camping Car Infos which is by far and away the best source of information about aires, car parks and service points.

Very much the same ethos as ours.
The website https://www.campingcar-infos.com/ gives free access to the database. POIs are also downloadable for installation on a satnav. For Android devices, there is an app with free trial period and then €5 for 3 months or €15 for a year. The app permits downloading of specific countries (specific regions in the case of France) to enable use offline if required.

I've been using the Search for Sites app here this year with the increasing numbers of Campra approved sites. I haven't yet tried it in France, but it looks to have a fairly comprehensive coverage

LENS (to read parking and other traffic notices), CampercContact (in English) or CampingcarInfos better but French only, an Itranslate for conversation

We are off in a few weeks and will probably be taking a 5 year old copy of All the Aires and using Search for Sites.
We tend to use Park 4 Night as our main source but we also have SearchforSites as a backup and for second opinion! I find both easy to use and informatI’ve.
P.S. What is it with Park 4 Night that when I type it without the spaces it gets blocked?

P.S. What is it with Park 4 Night that when I type it without the spaces it gets blocked?

Rival sites are blocked by Admin.

It makes sense for Phil not to advertise the competition, he has a business to run.

We tend to use Park 4 Night as our main source but we also have SearchforSites as a backup and for second opinion! I find both easy to use and informatI’ve.
Thanks, we use SFS a lot, might have a look at "the other one".

I use the Google translate app (seldom need it in France), BBC iPlayer and Greatest Hits Radio, I also preload money onto my chase account and the app helps keep and eye on things (means your bank account never gets exposed) and works with Apple Pay or Google pay etc.

If you use an iPad and want UK TV via internet then privateinternetaccess app is great.

TomTom app with France maps preloaded is a must for me, even-though I have sat-nav in the van.

Obviously I use poi’s on here, but as with p4night etc I’m actually looking for places to avoid as if I park near another MH I consider that a failure.

I also have a security app via Hik-vision that alerts me if anyone approaches the MH too closely wether I’m or away from it.

I use the Google translate app (seldom need it in France), BBC iPlayer and Greatest Hits Radio, I also preload money onto my chase account and the app helps keep and eye on things (means your bank account never gets exposed) and works with Apple Pay or Google pay etc.

If you use an iPad and want UK TV via internet then privateinternetaccess app is great.

TomTom app with France maps preloaded is a must for me, even-though I have sat-nav in the van.

Obviously I use poi’s on here, but as with p4night etc I’m actually looking for places to avoid as if I park near another MH I consider that a failure.

I also have a security app via Hik-vision that alerts me if anyone approaches the MH too closely wether I’m or away from it.
I remember once having quite a long conversation with a guy in a French bar, all through Google translate, using it to speak the translations. We both found it useful and great fun.
I presume you have a camera or sensor to work with the security app.

Most browers now have an extension you can run that will automatically translate non english web pages into semi intelligible English if you toggle them on. I use the one in Chrome.

Most browers now have an extension you can run that will automatically translate non english web pages into semi intelligible English if you toggle them on. I use the one in Chrome.
All 4 sides are covered by mini cctv cameras and sensor lights, get within a predetermined distance in the day and the cameras beep and the view comes onto my phone and iPad at night 6 sensor lights also come on.

But remember I’m a qualified security engineer so I get trade prices and fit myself, but also I don’t do sites.

When touring I generally try to be as far away from people as possible, so someone walking past the van is unusual.

All 4 sides are covered by mini cctv cameras and sensor lights, get within a predetermined distance in the day and the cameras beep and the view comes onto my phone and iPad at night 6 sensor lights also come on.

But remember I’m a qualified security engineer so I get trade prices and fit myself, but also I don’t do sites.

When touring I generally try to be as far away from people as possible, so someone walking past the van is unusual.
Think you pressed the wrong button mate 😉

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back