BBC Scotland

alcam

Headline at start of 6.30 news
How do we stop campervans and their occupants from making a mess ?
I've emailed to complain , think we all should

email: haveyoursay@bbc.co.uk
text : 61124

Last edited:
I saw the report and quite frankly I am still angry.
It was an utter disgrace, we are all dumping our sh-t in the sea or anywhere else we can find because there are no chemical waste points. We are telling car drivers to move so we can get our vans in, we have no respect for local communities. Utter garbage, no wonder we are loathed by some with articles like this.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

I have also emailed to complain about the bias reporting.

Last edited:
Lossiemouth have put up the no overnight signs at the West Beach Car park. I very much doubt that there will be any reduction of the "toileting in the dunes" that was complained about on the Lossiemouth FB page.
BTW. Rhuridh Ormiston is a big man with a big personality who is doing a great job in setting up an aire at Kingussie (Just south of Aviemore)

Lossiemouth have put up the no overnight signs at the West Beach Car park. I very much doubt that there will be any reduction of the "toileting in the dunes" that was complained about on the Lossiemouth FB page.
BTW. Rhuridh Ormiston is a big man with a big personality who is doing a great job in setting up an aire at Kingussie (Just south of Aviemore)
I take it it was you that’s been helping him? I watched the Cameron McNeish interview with Rhuirdh.

On reading im thinking its more to do with folk in tents rather than vans, anyway folk should use bio wash powder in the loo rather than chems.
My loo with 4 of use could travel every day for a week without having to empty it.

I also heard that report and had a rant at the radio as well. I'll now follow the lead of others on here and Email the Biased Broadcasting Corporation here in Scotland.
Sure, I've no doubts there are morons in vans spoiling it for everyone but after 10 years of camping I've yet to see a single instance of waste/toilet dumping, so certainly not the norm that was being suggested on the report.

I agree that the article totally mis-represented the vast majority of motorhomers. In my opinion the sign shown at Lossiemouth car park looked home made, I paused the recording and nothing on the sign looked as if it was official. Other small towns along the Moray coast are actively encouraging motorhomes to visit so perhaps Lossiemouth needs to look at the economic advantages we bring to the town.

We have used Lossie car park for over 20 years and the only litter we have ever seen is from cars who can't be bothered to walk 30 yards to one of the many bins.

As an aside we reckon we spend on average £30 each time we stay.

I also heard that report and had a rant at the radio as well. I'll now follow the lead of others on here and Email the Biased Broadcasting Corporation here in Scotland.
Sure, I've no doubts there are morons in vans spoiling it for everyone but after 10 years of camping I've yet to see a single instance of waste/toilet dumping, so certainly not the norm that was being suggested on the report.

The part about us demanding cars should move on to let us in was particularly angering. Who in their right mind would do such a thing, quite clearly this is pure fantasy, and symptomatic of such biased reporting. I totally agree that we have a minority of idiots amongst us, but like you I have never witnessed such poor behaviour. We recently visited Elie which was over occupied by mohos. But other than the amount of mohos I saw no sign of such disgraceful behaviour. Whilst at Craigmead I chatted with the warden who confirmed other than the amount of mohos, they had no problems with us whatsoever. He stated that most of their problems were with louts in tents who leave a mess, and behave badly whilst camping.
Even the photos in the article are quite clearly not from us.
I think it’s important to remember how such an article will be viewed by the public, and if I was ignorant of the facts, then I would be minded against our community. And let’s not kid ourselves public opinion matters, they vote in local elections, and councillors will take notice of public opinions.

Oh yes they mentioned aires as if we were a problem to be dealt with, but the reason there is a shortage of places and these aires are required, is because of such poor reporting, leading to biased attitudes about us, leading to more and more places putting up signs banning us.

Last edited:
The part about us demanding cars should move on to let us in was particularly angering. Who in their right mind would do such a thing, quite clearly this is pure fantasy, and symptomatic of such biased reporting. I totally agree that we have a minority of idiots amongst us, but like you I have never witnessed such poor behaviour. We recently visited Elie which was over occupied by mohos. But other than the amount of mohos I saw no sign of such disgraceful behaviour. Whilst at Craigmead I chatted with the warden who confirmed other than the amount of mohos, they had no problems with us whatsoever. He stated that most of their problems were with louts in tents who leave a mess, and behave badly whilst camping.
I think it’s important to remember how such an article will be viewed by the public, and if I was ignorant of the facts, then I would be minded against our community. And let’s not kid ourselves public opinion matters, they vote in local elections, and councillors will take notice of public opinions.

Oh yes they mentioned aires as if we were a problem to be dealt with, but the reason there is a shortage of places and these aires are required, is because of such poor reporting, leading to biased attitudes about us, leading to more and more places putting up signs banning us.
Well said
They allowed the councillor to spout his nonsense then asked the motorhome couple if there was a need for Aires
Just lazy journalism

Very well said

The increasing and ongoing hypocrisy of the BBC is breath taking. Constantly lecturing the people who pay for it on their behavior and attitudes whilst ignoring their own internal issues and massively over paying a lot of talentless and unimaginative people. Pandering to lowest common denominator in terms of entertainment and picking and choosing the issues they report to suit their own agenda whilst treating the average viewer with contempt. I used to be proud of the BBC but now they are just a bad joke!

The increasing and ongoing hypocrisy of the BBC is breath taking. Constantly lecturing the people who pay for it on their behavior and attitudes whilst ignoring their own internal issues and massively over paying a lot of talentless and unimaginative people. Pandering to lowest common denominator in terms of entertainment and picking and choosing the issues they report to suit their own agenda whilst treating the average viewer with contempt. I used to be proud of the BBC but now they are just a bad joke!
Could debate some of that but think we are moving away from the subject .
Lazy , shoddy journalism worthy of the Sun/Daily Mail which is hugely affecting the attitude of people towards us is , imo , the immediate problem here

Lazy , shoddy journalism worthy of the Sun/Daily Mail which is hugely affecting the attitude of people towards us is , imo , the immediate problem here

Yes, you're right, it was an overdue rant at the BBC in general on my behalf and not directly about this specific article but they do wind me up so! 😂

Agreed, let’s not go down this road, and I have witnessed similar garbage from other media outlets including ITN and many local rags and even national newspapers.
In my honest opinion our persona was damaged by this pathetic attempt at journalism. We are not a problem to be hived of into airs that on the whole are not required. What’s required is a fully balanced look at what’s actually going on. The reasons for these issues are manifold, but they stem from two things primarily. Lack of proper investment in the past, and attitudes towards us that bare no relation to the vast majority, fed by such poor journalism in the first place.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back