Battery voltage.

Topmast

Hi everyone.
I appear to have a voltage problem normally if I put volt meter between battery posts I get a read of 12.6. To 12.8 depending on how long the van has stood.Today reading started at 16.7 volts then started decreasing by point 1. Of a volt until it got to 12.8 this took almost two minutes I tried another meter but that did the same. My electric knowledge is very limited but something seems very wrong.Any help appreciated.

It can only get that high from whatever has recently/ currently been charging the battery.
It's got to be either the alternator, mains battery charger or solar controller that's causing the issue.
Just try each one in turn while checking the battery voltage and you'll find the culprit. Consider disconnecting the charger or solar if you can't sort it immediately. 16.7v is way to high.
Good luck, Merl

Thanks everyone for your reply’s, yes I do have a solar panel but with a lovely sunny day the voltage is correct.what I don’t understand is the van had not been used for a couple of days which was why I was checking battery.And no I never connect to the mains.

Thanks everyone for your reply’s, yes I do have a solar panel but with a lovely sunny day the voltage is correct.what I don’t understand is the van had not been used for a couple of days which was why I was checking battery.And no I never connect to the mains.
Then it is a wonky control unit, is it an old pmw, if so whip it out and fit a votronic duel MPPT charger, one amp to the starter, rest to hab batts.
solar duel a.png
votronic regulator.png

Thanks again but the solar control seems to be working properly unless it is an intermittent fault with a twenty eight year old van anything is possible .

Thanks again but the solar control seems to be working properly unless it is an intermittent fault with a twenty eight year old van anything is possible .
Intemittant fault on a brand-new van is possible, let alone a 28 year old one :)

As merl says, you can only get a high voltage on the battery from something connected to it. i.e. a Charger.

You hadn't been driving it - so can't be the Alternator
You don't hook up - so it can't be the Mains Charger.
Only thing left is the Solar Charger/Controller, so that is the area where you need to focus on.

You haven't told us what solar regulator you have, so can't give any specific "check this" or "check that".

You *could* have a battery equalization routine enabled on the controller which will intermittantly, but on a regular cycle put a higher voltage into the battery for a short period. Some controllers will not do this, others you can programme to do this, others do it every nth charge cycle whether you want them to or not! The voltage you are seeing is on the high side for that routine, but not impossible (and also not desirable).
The voltage you are seeing can be around what a PV Panel may output, so you could have a connection from Panel to Battery? maybe internally in the controller, maybe a stray wire strand on the connector making an intermittant connection? You could have a bad solder joint on the Controller PCB. maybe a slight overflow of solder that is making a connection randomly depending on movement or heat and shorting PV +ve to Battery +ve.

To give an example of my own Solar Controller, I was randonly losing power out to my Habitation Electrics (which are fed via the LOAD of the Solar Controller) for a while. Couldn't really identify what was happening, but when doing some further analysis, it turned out that the Battery was intermittantly disconnecting from the Solar Controller and this was only apparent at nighttime as the Controller was harvesting enough to run the active 12V loads during the day (I would occasionally lose power in the day when there was a heavy cloud (hindsight info :) ). And when I was checking voltages, etc with my meter, it was all ok as the action of putting the probe on the battery +ve and -ve on the controller fixed the connection temporarily, as the fault was (on closer inspection under a magnifying lens) a dry joint on the Battery +ve terminal on the controller.
And this was a Solar Controller only just over a year old, made by Victron, so top quality kit. So be it old or new, bargain basement or top drawer, it doesn't matter, you can still have problems with a piece of kit!

(as an aside, Controller was replaced as Victron don't tend to repair kit, but while waiting for the new one, fixed the faulty one in about 5 minutes with a iron and been fine since :) )

You can rule out the mains charger because you don't use it. That leaves alternator or solar.
In the case of the alternator I would have expected the battery voltage to have settled back from 16.7 v after resting for days, running the engine will confirm though.
That leaves just the solar controller AND of course your multimeter??? That may just need a new battery of course??
Tracing intermittent electronic faults is always great fun😵‍💫😡😡🤬🤬.! Welcome to my world 🤗
Merl

Thanks again.
I am still not convinced about solar control as we have just had two days of hot sun and everything seems to be working as per normal, tomorrow I will run the engine and measure voltage output from that . I have no idea as to the age of solar control but have taken photo in case any one knows anything about it.

Attachments

• 5DC7E583-5949-44F3-A95C-0FB61C9D8D55.jpeg
    5DC7E583-5949-44F3-A95C-0FB61C9D8D55.jpeg
    550 KB · Views: 80
I think it is Trev. Look again, there's 5 screw terminals and above 5 symbols ,-+-++. I think the viewing angle is odd?

Looks like a decent unit tbf but getting on a bit now, certainly could be dodgy but not.necessarily so.
I've got a phone charger that plugs into the dash fag socket that also displays the battery voltage just on case the alternator goes mental. Hopefully me or swmbo would spot it before the battery or sumat got cooked.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back