Battery voltage

Topmast

Hi all.
We were away with the van last week when all the led lights started dimming and pump went slow ,as soon as I got home I put the battery on charge for 12 hours then left it to rest for 12 hours it is now registering 13.10 volts I assume the battery is b******d ,but why has t voltage gone up rather than down? Before replacing it I would appreciate any helping comments.

Battery should rest at 12.7, do you get a sulfur smell or is the battery hot after a few hrs standing & if a open cell batt is any of the cells bubbling, wildbus is you man for this, one thing is the charger you use a smart or one of the old type which can boil batts.

How long after charging did it register 13.1 v

Get the battery tested before spending money.

Last edited:
12 hrs he said you blind g-t. 😂
whoops .

a sulfur smell
Didn't realise that you are American ! The English spelling is "sulphur"

a open cell batt
We English use “a” before words that start with a consonant sound and “an” before words that start with a vowel sound.

is any of the cells bubbling
& we use "are" not "is" in this situation

wildbus is you man for this
and "your" in this one

Happy Christmas, you colonial g-t. 😂😂

Are you using test meter to check the voltage? If so try changing the battery in it, some of them read high when the battery is failing.

Hi.I am using an independent multi meter. As a point the engine battery is reading 12.8 volts.
I googled multi meter reading high. Low meter battery was the most common reason given. It seems that the internal reference point on some meters drops with a failing battery, leading to high readings. If your multi meter was reading +0.3V then your true readings would be engine battery 12.5V and your leisure battery 12.8V, both of which would be credible readings for lead acid batteries.

Invest in a good 10ah or higher smart charger, one amp is a float and will do very little in a week.
12v 20a charger.png

12 hrs he said you blind g-t. 😂
You have a way with words Trev 🖕
whoops .

Didn't realise that you are American ! The English spelling is "sulphur"

We English use “a” before words that start with a consonant sound and “an” before words that start with a vowel sound.

& we use "are" not "is" in this situation

and "your" in this one

Happy Christmas, you colonial g-t. 😂😂
On the other hand. You have much better way (y)

A newly charged battery can read over 13 volts for some time bit will drop guickly after as some power is removed , a reading of 13 dose not mean the battery is good
This is very true. After a full charge my lead carbon batteries will sit at over 13V for a long time even with a light load on them.
I've found you need to give a battery a bit of a whack in terms of load to dispel that surface charge level and then check them again an hour later.

Thanks everyone for taking the trouble to reply,I will continue to monitor the battery to see how quickly it looses it’s charge.In the meantime may I wish you all a very happy Christmas and hope you all stay safe.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back