Battery restart charger

Clunegapyears

Sorry not really motorhome related.
We have a 5 ton lithium battery restart charger for the motorhome. Works brilliantly, as have used it on our Greek car. This newish car went flat after only 8 weeks being unused!

We are leaving the car in Greece for 5 months whilst we travel back to the UK, Spain and Morocco. And will take our battery jump starter with us. But we will leave the Greek car for friends to use when they are using and abusing our house whilst we are away. I know the car will go flat, so want the means for friends to jump start it. Car has stop start and is a mild hybrid.

Started looking at options ...
Not trickle from house as we get lots of power cuts and surges. Not sure I'd trust the Greek electrical system either.
Thinking solar trickle or battery jump starter. Don't want to spend a lot.

Which way should we go?
And any recommendations welcome.

Thank you
Katherine

Was the jump charger you got for the motorhome too pricey to get a 2nd one for the car? I would have recommended the type of device you already happen have and have experience of. So maybe 'better the devil you know' and just get another?

Greece = sunshine all year ? Spend some money on solar panels to trickle charge. Car .check altonator and battery on vehicle plus your nuts. .

Jump starter's are OK but don't fix problems. For 5 grand and you won't have blackouts. Plus car charged. 😂 😂 😂.
Definitely solar panels seem to be the best fix - either that or find our why the battery drains so quickly.
Oh, and 5 tons seems to be over the top for a charger and certainly not very portable 😉

Was the jump charger you got for the motorhome too pricey to get a 2nd one for the car? I would have recommended the type of device you already happen have and have experience of. So maybe 'better the devil you know' and just get another?
Thanks David, but it was £85 and I'm looking for cheaper.
Hope all good with you in sunny Scotland.

Thank you all. Ordered the solar trickle charger suggested by Witzend. It's a good price. 😊
Had one like that, not worth the full of my ass of roasted snow, the chasp i lent it to up my street when he went away for 2 weeks came back to a flat battery at the airport, fact is cars use a few amps a day for alarms etc and my panel put out about 1/10 of an amp, a 40w panel is about the smallest id go for with a regulator.

Had one like that, not worth the full of my ass of roasted snow, the chasp i lent it to up my street when he went away for 2 weeks came back to a flat battery at the airport, fact is cars use a few amps a day for alarms etc and my panel put out about 1/10 of an amp, a 40w panel is about the smallest id go for with a regulator.

One of those kept the starter battery topped up on my first boat for 3 months over Winter Trev without any problems.

I see you've ordered but if things go pear-shaped I use this on my large motorbike and it works even during the depths of a British winter. £44 from manufacturer but cheaper if you shop around

In Greek summer with approximately 1sq foot of panel you get about 5 watts taking losses into account. That's about half an amp into 12v battery. I'd imagine that should easily keep up with the discharge from alarm/storage etc. It will be less in the winter though so maybe not good enough then depending on many factors. Certainly wouldn't want to rely on it over here to keep my van topped up through winter.

Min is about 1 amp to cover losses, 40/50w panel in the windscreen would be better.
panel a.jpg
panel b.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back