Battery reconditioning methods!

I switched it to repair mode which appears to pulse charge the battery for 16 hours, so will leave it overnight to do it's thing. It'll be interesting to see what difference if any that makes?
Well the pulse repair did absolutely nothing, all readings were virtually the same as before that process after 16hrs of it. I had also slipped some epsom salts into the battery but they made no noticeable difference either. Then I saw this video which says that those methods don't work anyway! 😒

It seems that the best method to improve a tired battery is to overcharge it with an old type battery charger for days or weeks even but keep an eye on the electrolyte levels! So will have to give that method a go. I was going to just buy a new battery but the wife say's it's fine as it always starts, a bit hard to fault her logic? So guess it looks like I can experiment with it some more?

I wonder how those super-low mileage motorhome mechanicals are when I see the adverts for vans with less than 1,000 miles a year. We had two cars in the household until a couple of years ago, one of which used to do maybe 800 miles a year - every year that car needed new brakes for the MOT from being sat around doing nothing in the damp scottish environment.

Ref starter battery, it really should be remembered that the alternator puts charge into a battery but is not a "battery charger" - to really look after a starter battery, it should have a multi-stage charger connected overnight once a month at least.
The only reason Starter Batteries last as well as they do with the charging they normally get is the technology has improved so much over the years - but use a charger and they can do even better (y)

10 years is great going mind. Treat the old girl to some new juice ;)
Yes car alts only put about 90% in to battery at best, before slowing towards the end of charge to almost zero, they do not pulse charge so best to use a smart charger if car/van is standing more that a week.

Well the pulse repair did absolutely nothing, all readings were virtually the same as before that process after 16hrs of it. I had also slipped some epsom salts into the battery but they made no noticeable difference either. Then I saw this video which says that those methods don't work anyway! 😒

It seems that the best method to improve a tired battery is to overcharge it with an old type battery charger for days or weeks even but keep an eye on the electrolyte levels! So will have to give that method a go. I was going to just buy a new battery but the wife say's it's fine as it always starts, a bit hard to fault her logic? So guess it looks like I can experiment with it some more?
The guy whose video you linked to ..... he makes some very interesting videos (y)

It works IF and only IF the plates have some deposit at the bottom shorting them out, but if the plate/frames have collapsed or buckled then you are wasting your time, even then its only a short term fix if lucky, been there hade the T shirt many years ago when I was poor, ges forgot I still am. 😂
poor or very. makes no dif-or-ornce.i say stay lucky. ok pj.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back