Battery Monitor

bobj808

Free Member
I had a look at a £20 battery monitor in Lidl today - permanent connection to battery and sends you a message on the free I phone app if voltage drops. May be handy if you store your vehicle away from home (I don't and leave mh plugged in all the time) Bob.

It looks like a Bluetooth connection, which will only work when you are close (5m) to the van, and have connected it. Still could be useful for some though...

I had a look at a £20 battery monitor in Lidl today - permanent connection to battery and sends you a message on the free I phone app if voltage drops. May be handy if you store your vehicle away from home (I don't and leave mh plugged in all the time) Bob.
Well you should if you have a smart charger doing eng & les battery.

Plug in voltmeters on eBay do the same job ,get 2 one for each battery , £3.25 each

Last edited:
For me a battery monitor has to do more than just read voltages. Voltage alone can be very misleading. I want to know what is going in and out of the battery and how many Ah it has delivered before the voltage drops to critical.

I treated myself to a clamp meter that measures amps in a wire. No need to disconnect anything just clamp it round the wire and read off the amps flowing. I can tell which circuit has power flowing and how much of my valuable battery power is being used by what. The Inverter 650w pure sine wave uses 1.3A just sitting there doing nothing. Connect a 30w electric blanket on low setting and it jumps to 2.2A.

I had a look at all the cheap as chips ones available from China and read a number of reviews about how accurate they were ( not ) . I then realised that the more you pay the more accurate they get. Not wanting to spend several hundred £££ on a meter I decided on a good quality SH one off EBay. It measures in mA upto 10A and then upto 100A the unit also has a hold feature and a maximum feature.

It also came with two leads so can measure voltage and continuity.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back