Battery headache

karakachan

I have been trying to do some planning regarding what solar setup I will go for.The choice of panels is not as taxing as which batteries to go for.
I first set my mind on agm 12v,then after reading on here and other forums on the net,mainly seem to think that 6v lead acid is the way to go as it is generally thought that you can get more cycle life out of them.Been looking at Trojan and Crown.
I suppose there is cost factor and if you have room to put more than a couple of batteries in your vehicle,going back to the cost,I think you can build a similar sized bank of 6v or 12v for similar cost,that is for amp hours.
I will be full time when I do eventually get going.Brands is another headache.I know people put different petrol in their cars and show brand loyalty.My questions here are mainly aimed at full timers or near as dam it full timers, as they will know what system works best,especially in winter.
My funds are not endless but I'm hoping to cap it at about £700 ish...that's for panels,''or large panel'' and batteries,oh and an mppt controller..
I know this subject has been done more times than my granny burnt cakes but that's why I joined the forum...to ask what I don't know too much about..''you don't ask,you'll never know''
Thanks all

buy the heaviest (weight wise) 12volt best batteries you can afford - it will pay you in the long run. Make sure all of your batteries, leisure and engine, are the same voltage and preferably the same make. Link them all together on a relay. I believe Alpha batteries give us WC folks a significant discount - do a search on here.

What i have discovered in my last year of wilding is that one 100 solar panel is not enough to feed/fill my 2 leisure batteries. i will be adding another solar panel in fue course and maybe a third leisure battery.

Be mindful of the physical weight of your new batteries - they weigh a ton and will eat into your payload.

buy the heaviest (weight wise) 12volt best batteries you can afford -

Thanks for your input delicagirl,but the research I've done doesn't point to 12v batteries being the heaviest ,and are said not to be a truly DEEP CYCLE battery.Maybe agm's are classed as deep cycle and are seen as far superior than the 12v LA type.
The panel I was contemplating was the 260w,and was even thinking about getting the LG 300w as the efficiency is far and away better than the basic panel...this is why I put this question on here hoping that someone like your good self came up with suggestions.
Battery bank wise,I was looking to have a capacity of around the 250/300 AH ..I'm sure more will come along and put me right or give me an incline as to what works for them year round.
Maybe it's because it's saturday and all have got the day off...lol
And thanks for your reply

Trojan

I can fully recommend Trojan batteries....my set up - 2x100watt Solar, 2xT105(225amp), Xantrex C40(PWM), 180amp Allbright Contactor(split Relay).
Now four years of use and no hook up....last weak S.G. readings still at max.
It is important that your controller is adjustable to suit the Trojan charging regime ie: 14.8 volt daily charge.. see their 22 page User Manual, also very important to follow their maintenance schedules.
Also, online they have some very good maintenance videos.
For some very good reading..HandyBob's Blog << Making off grid RV electrical systems work
Remember - Voltage Drop is your enemy.

Alec.

Attachments

• 20170923_151851.jpg
    20170923_151851.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 112
I would get a pair of Trojan t105s and as many panels to fill your roof. If possible get a setup that you can angle to maximise power in the winter. I wouldn't be to fussed about a mppt controller, I believe your money would be better spent on more panels.
I have two 2 t105s, 270w of panels, a mppt controller and a Sterling b-b charger.

Mr B.

Bosch / varta car stop start batterys are as good as you will buy,with there silver frame tec they will hold almost full power for 5 years compared to so called les batterys which go down hill from day one,cost well they start at about £100 up.

They also have a excellent web site full of info on solar / batterys / chargers etc well worth a look

Thats just blown most people clap trap talk out of the water,the bit about gel batterys is what i have been telling folk all along,also the use of gens which can damage electronic stuff was good reading.

Thats just blown most people clap trap talk out of the water,the bit about gel batterys is what i have been telling folk all along,also the use of gens which can damage electronic stuff was good reading.

Yes not enough thought is given to duty cycle and protection, some of the items pictured have been overloaded, way past past their design limits.

I can fully understand people who don't have an electrical or electronics background not being aware of what's going on.

Always try to keep these electronic items cool.

:drive::drive::drive:

Take much of that with a pinch of salt. Some of their interpretations of the situation are misleading at best.

Only in your judgement. I would rather take the word of Alan whose knowledge is gained by running a successful business in motorhome repairs over someone who talks big but has no proven track record to back it up.

You accused me of talking rubbish a while back and were proved wrong by other members. Theoretical knowledge can be of little help without a practical grounding.

It really annoys me when a good, helpful bloke is pilloried by others. Particularly as he cannot answer back as he is not a member ..... not to mention that he is currently battling Cancer.

Take much of that with a pinch of salt. Some of their interpretations of the situation are misleading at best.

Thanks for that excellent advice hairy one which I have taken on board as I do that with all of your posts.

And i thought it was just the irish who like a good fight.:hammer:better than watching telly any day though.

And i thought it was just the irish who like a good fight.:hammer:better than watching telly any day though.

It makes me smile as well Trev which is a good thing as I battle cancer, which I am not going to mention.:lol-049:

It makes me smile as well Trev which is a good thing as I battle cancer, which I am not going to mention.:lol-049:

Sorry to here,i have noticed more folk seem to have some degree of it these days or is it that it was not spoken of in days of old,keep your chin up,regards trev.

Sorry to here,i have noticed more folk seem to have some degree of it these days or is it that it was not spoken of in days of old,keep your chin up,regards trev.

Can't get my chin any higher without getting a crick in my neck Trev.

Can't get my chin any higher without getting a crick in my neck Trev.

Talk of a crick in you neck,i have had the same going on four days with back pain,must have got it lifting the floor boards to get money for newish car.:lol-053::wave:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back