battery care

Slim

has anyone used a solar power trickle charger, I see Maplins sell one for around a tenner. Do they do the job?. Unfortunately I have to lay the van up for the winter something Ive never had to do before so advice please.....

has anyone used a solar power trickle charger, I see Maplins sell one for around a tenner. Do they do the job?. Unfortunately I have to lay the van up for the winter something Ive never had to do before so advice please.....
i have one they are ok to stop the battery from going flat when left for any length of time thats about all.

I have never used one but from what I have read I get the feeling that these cheap solar panels are as much use as a chocolate fire guard.
Also many of the cheap ones are made to sit on the dash (inside use not weatherproof) so unless your very lucky on where you park they may not even catch any sun.

the small ones are only meant to stop the battery from losing charge when the van is parked up for any length of time, they also give out a charge in cloudy weather. 10 quid is a small price to pay for knowing that your battrey is going to be ok if left a long time unused .

not wanting to sound off or the like ,but if the battery is left disconected,then what about your alarm, imobiliser and if the van has a coded imobiliser then there is a good chance it will lose its code. then a trip to main dealers to be put on the computer and at there prices !!!!!!!!!!!! i know the renault safrane i had warned of such .

The alarm/imobiliser will be powered by the engine battery. You can isolate the leisure battery only.
I usually just plug the hook up in, with an adaptor for a domestic socket, once a month for a few hours. I only do this in the winter when leisure batteries will discharge faster.

To be of any use at all a solar panel has to be above a 30 watt rating, anything less will not put enough back even in summer. Mine is 43 watt and cost £500 fitted and I wish I had thrown an extra £100 and gone above 70. Google solar panels motorhomes. and look at how little you get. Don't get me wrong it is the only way to go wildcamping wise, generators are guaranteed to stir the devil out of anyone, as a boater I ended giving my Honda (quite) away as it always puts peoples backs up with its constant drone . For the price of the best genny you can get a top notch panel fitted. P.S. I still get enough , even in winter to keep both batteries looking after the van and in summer By evening both gauges are tops. You always want more though but if you combine panels with refillable gas bottles you end up saving loads. Its just the initial outlay that's a killer.

Last edited:
I use one of the Maplin ones @£9.99. Have had it for about 12 months and yes it keeps my starter battery topped when not in use. I have gone and left van for 2 weeks and battery was still fully charged on return. Miss quoted as needing directsunshine. Not correct this unit will send a trickle as long as day light. Note that I say trickle, it will not recharge a flat battery, but will maintain the state of battery on connection.

I only need to keep the van battery topped up so I think I,ll give a solar charger a go. I need a new leisure battery but that can wait till spring now. Thanks for the info....but if anyone has a better idea?

not wanting to sound off or the like ,but if the battery is left disconected,then what about your alarm, imobiliser and if the van has a coded imobiliser then there is a good chance it will lose its code. then a trip to main dealers to be put on the computer and at there prices !!!!!!!!!!!! i know the renault safrane i had warned of such .

fiat base computer talks to the key fob so i was told so battery disconnection should not be a problem.

battery off for three months last year van started first time, however no battery connection means no alarm if broke into:eek:

no valuables inside when parked up.If stolen there is a tracker so not to bad

on my old van i had reg number on the roof 5ft across could be seen by helicopter if stolen but i doubt police will deploy for little working class people like me just claim off insurance :D:D

Slim

I had a 5watt trickle charge that does the job and it works when cloudy.Made by exide about 18 inches square ,with a long lead with croc clips, so can be moved around to best effect.If you go to big you will surely need a voltage regulator.My mate has one as well, if intrested a tenner plus post,can put photo on if you want a look.Selling because both have new vans,hardly been used.

I have read through this thread with great interest and although Slim has obviously made his mind up, I suspect from his responses that he had before starting the thread, I thought I would post a few figures for anyone who may be interested.

These panels are unregulated, therefore the maximum output voltage, i.e. when directly facing strong sun, for safety reasons can be no more than about 15V. Any more and serious damage could be caused to the vehicle electronics.

With all photovoltaic cells both the voltage and the current are proportional to the amount of light recieved.

To maintain charge in a charged battery an input voltage of approx 14V+ is required. So although you are quite correct in stateing that these panels produce power even on cloudy days, it requires quite bright light to raise the output voltage to 14V+, and provide "usefull" power.

The maximum output of the discused panel is 1.5W equal to 0.1A at 15V, yes 1/10 of an amp (100ma) maximum output, as the conditions are rarely perfect a generous figure in a british winter would be for 1/2 max for 5hrs per day. 0.05 X 5 = 0.25AH per day, with battery inefficiences this would equate to approx 0.2AH of battery loss.

Natural discharge of lead acid batteries vairies with age, a brand new (never used) battery should loose no more than 0.1% per day, a well used but servicable battery will loose 1% per day. Assuming a 100AH battery and taking a mid figure this is around 0.5AH, or double the best you are likely to get from the panel.

The fact is that most vehicles are over batteried and if there are no other problems and the battery is reasonably good, restarting after 4-6 weeks of inactivity should not present a problem, even with no external topup.

Unfortunatly the output from these panels is so small that the extra "storage time" they allow is very small.

I would also like to point out that the panel of Gary's has almost 4 times the output and therefore rather more usefull.

To end on a humourous note, I did here a story of a man who had one of these type of panels in his car as he only used it on weekends. He very dilligently set it up each week ensuring it was properly pluged into his cigar lighter. After several months use he is totaly convinced of the benefits, until someone pointed out that on his car (like most) for safety reasons the ciger lighter is ignition controled and not conected to the battery when parked, in fact he had never had his panel actualy connected

I have read through this thread with great interest and although Slim has obviously made his mind up, I suspect from his responses that he had before starting the thread, I thought I would post a few figures for anyone who may be interested.

These panels are unregulated, therefore the maximum output voltage, i.e. when directly facing strong sun, for safety reasons can be no more than about 15V. Any more and serious damage could be caused to the vehicle electronics.

With all photovoltaic cells both the voltage and the current are proportional to the amount of light recieved.

To maintain charge in a charged battery an input voltage of approx 14V+ is required. So although you are quite correct in stateing that these panels produce power even on cloudy days, it requires quite bright light to raise the output voltage to 14V+, and provide "usefull" power.

The maximum output of the discused panel is 1.5W equal to 0.1A at 15V, yes 1/10 of an amp (100ma) maximum output, as the conditions are rarely perfect a generous figure in a british winter would be for 1/2 max for 5hrs per day. 0.05 X 5 = 0.25AH per day, with battery inefficiences this would equate to approx 0.2AH of battery loss.

Natural discharge of lead acid batteries vairies with age, a brand new (never used) battery should loose no more than 0.1% per day, a well used but servicable battery will loose 1% per day. Assuming a 100AH battery and taking a mid figure this is around 0.5AH, or double the best you are likely to get from the panel.

The fact is that most vehicles are over batteried and if there are no other problems and the battery is reasonably good, restarting after 4-6 weeks of inactivity should not present a problem, even with no external topup.

Unfortunatly the output from these panels is so small that the extra "storage time" they allow is very small.

I would also like to point out that the panel of Gary's has almost 4 times the output and therefore rather more usefull.

To end on a humourous note, I did here a story of a man who had one of these type of panels in his car as he only used it on weekends. He very dilligently set it up each week ensuring it was properly pluged into his cigar lighter. After several months use he is totaly convinced of the benefits, until someone pointed out that on his car (like most) for safety reasons the ciger lighter is ignition controled and not conected to the battery when parked, in fact he had never had his panel actualy connected

Good reply Geoff and well presented, Ever thought about taking up Rocket Science?:eek:

Gary

I had a 5watt trickle charge that does the job and it works when cloudy.Made by exide about 18 inches square ,with a long lead with croc clips, so can be moved around to best effect.If you go to big you will surely need a voltage regulator.My mate has one as well, if intrested a tenner plus post,can put photo on if you want a look.Selling because both have new vans,hardly been used.

went out and bought one from Maplins this morning but thanks all the same

WOW wish I had read this first before I went out and bought one this morning,
my own fault for beliving what it says on the tin

I still think you need to invest serious money, to get serious amps. The one thing we must include in this thread is the environmentally sound, this method of energy replacement is, as opposed to generators. Noise pollution, air pollution, extra wieght carried, fire hazard carrying two vollatile fuels on board (GAS, PETROL) At the end of the day, with a solar panel, once you take away the initial purchase outlay your energy recieved is free.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back