Batteries failed.

Or toe one of these behind you LOL.
genarator.png

10.4V would suggest batteries are pretty well fully drained.
12.8V would suggest a fully charged battery.

Doing the basic maths, you are not going to be able to recharge 200Ah of batteries with 3 hours of Mains charging. You could get back up to "full charge" in that time if the battery capacity had dropped significantly.
When that happens, the batteries seem ok, then suddenly they drop off the cliff voltage wise.

When I got my new (to me) Motorhome a year ago, it came with a pair of good quality 100Ah Batteries. But they were old and the first weekend I went out (to the Kelso Meet) a few days after getting it, all was ok until boom - voltage plummeted to 9V - whilst TV was on. What happened there sounds very similar to your experience.

IMO, you will be able to likely get some life from the batteries, but they are on the way out and you will always doubt them. Yup, you could change your usage habits and use less power of course, but you should use your time time away as YOU want to, and not how your battery bank dictates.

Choices to me seem to be between getting some better quality batteries and enjoy your trips away, or keeping your fingers crossed. I think the latter is just delaying the inevitable ...
Have to agree with you all appears ok then a sudden drop.
Happened to me when I had my pvc 4 years ago. I’ll keep a load on the batteries as much as possible today, tv, inverter charging dyson on at present etc, etc. Then see what happens this evening when dark.
If they fail again I’ll bite the bullet and order 2 of the lead carbon gel batteries you suggested. If I order them today should get them by Wednesday if I pay the extra £4.00 for express delivery. Must remember about the discount we get.

The two batteries in my Motorhome that failed .... I did manage to recondition one of them and it is holding its charge really well, but only after doing things you are really not meant to do to a battery and should never do when it is not in a open environment away from fire hazards!
And even after doing this, I wouldn't want to use it as a leisure battery to deliver off-grid prower when away.

Go to Scotland and see how they go. You have your genny if you need to charge in a huffy. I left mine until I was only lasting a day stood.

A capacity test of each battery would be better without solar charging, maybe just one battery is bad?
Could do but to be honest as I do 90% of my travels without ehu I’m going to buy a pair of batteries more appropriate to my requirements. They appeared to be ok yesterday but died again at 8.00pm.
Heading home this morning and will order a pair of lead carbon gel which are on offer at present so a good buy.

Just in case you missed the duff battery thread, just buy some bananas - sorted. If you press on Watch on You Tube, it does play.

Just arrived home and going to remove batteries.
I would normally cover the solar panels but as I have fitted an isolator on the live feed to the victron controller is this necessary ?
I’m aware of disconnecting the negative cable first etc.

Just arrived home and going to remove batteries.
I would normally cover the solar panels but as I have fitted an isolator on the live feed to the victron controller is this necessary ?
I’m aware of disconnecting the negative cable first etc.
Must admit I tend to just turn off the Charger in the Victron Bluetooth settings and don't cover the panels. never had an issue doing that.

Last edited:
Well batteries removed and put outside ready for the scrap boys to take away. Yes, could have took them to a scrapyard for a bit of cash but to be honest couldn’t be ar-ed lol.
They do a brilliant service as I’m on a main road and things usually go within the hour.

Last edited:
Well batteries removed and put outside ready for the scrap boys to take away. Yes, could have took them to a scrapyard for a bit of cash but to be honest couldn’t be ar-ed lol.
They do a brilliant service as I’m on a main road and things usually go within the hour.
You know that leaving batteries out could lead to a CHARGE. 😂

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back